“Best in this price range”

Sundance Inn & Saloon
Ranked #20 of 333 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 9, 2012

After staying in a few hotels and guesthouses and talking to people i came to this conclusion - within the 7 usd-25 usd price range, sundance inn is the best option if you want a room for yourself (and mad monkey if you will stay in a dorm. ) I am still staying in Sundance and i don't easily recommend a place but this one is really ok. Shower works, easy to find, nice rooms. Computers in rooms, wi fi works well. Neighborhood is nice. Bar is nice. Food is acceptable, prices are ok. (even the tour prices.) Pool is underconstruction right now, so it's better staying on the street side. (only reason i am not giving a five star is the construction which is as far as i understand is unavoidable this time of they year in cambodia.)

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank exclea
There are newer reviews for Sundance Inn & Saloon

Reviewed June 24, 2012

This is a fairly new hotel/guesthouse in Phnom Penh. I am a regular visitor to Cambodia and try to stay in a different Hotel each time I come. I will however stay here again on my next visit. When I arrived at the hotel I was given a very, very small room. Room 3. This room is uncomfortably small and I was ready to check out the following morning but before I left I asked Harry the boss if they had any bigger rooms available. Luckily for me they did. The room they gave me was a reasonable size. (not big, but ok for my next few nights). The room is well equipped with en-suite bathroom, room safe, flat screen tv's and Internet access either using the wifi or using the tv in the room and a wireless keyboard. Although breakfast is not included in did have a fried breakfast one day and a club sandwich on another occasion. Not the quickest service but the food was good and the staff were all very friendly and helpful. The swimming pool is quite small but ok for a dip and at least guests have an area to sit and relax away from the city noise. The location is very good and it will only take you a few minutes walk to the river front or to street 51 or 136 if you want to have a few drinks in the evening. All in all a very good value place to stay with great staff. I will be back.

Room Tip: Avoid room 3. If you take a cat you won't be able to swing it. Other rooms are good value.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank PattayaVillaRentals
Reviewed June 15, 2012

centrally located, close to National Museum and the riverfront. the bed was huge, internet was fast, and hardwood floors shiny.

Room Tip: room overlooking the pool is good if there's no night party at the poolside
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lovecruises1
Reviewed June 7, 2012

What a find! This place is in a great location, a few minutes walk to the riverfront and surrounded by some great restaurants and bars. I am travelling on my own but felt very safe around the area. I had been staying at another hotel down the road which cost double the price and was nowhere near as good as this place. The rooms are modern and very clean and the bathrooms are great,especially the massive shower head which I haven't yet found in my travels around Cambodia. The bed deserves a review of it it's own...it is MASSIVE and super comfy! I stayed in the small extra king bedroom and there wasn't nothing small about it!

The staff here are so lovely and helpful, I have just booked my bus ticket with one of the owners and my pickup isn't until 1pm and he did its not a problem to stay in my room until then despite checkout being at 12pm.

I haven't tried out the pool yet but it looks good and I fully intend to go and get myself a cheap beer and give it a go in a minute!

My only fault with the place could be the noise at night if you are a light sleeper...luckily in am not so I slept like a baby, you would get the same in any of the hotels in the area though so I would just make sure you pack ear plugs.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 24, 2012

It's a great place in Phnom Penh and I always stay there if they have room. The owners are great, the location is central, the people are friendly, and the price is reasonable. The hotel is also kept and cleaned to western standards. There is no reason to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a deluxe.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Well, like what most people say, for the money you’re paying for; great service, great rooms, great location and great owners! Was greeted by Harry, one of the owners (who helped arrange an airport pickup) who took us to our room.

We took the Small Extra King Bed room, located at the 3rd floor, with the pool view. We stayed there for 6 days in total. It can be a little noisy at night (esp Friday). The noise comes from the bar below and the AC unit. Might want to bring some ear plugs if you’re extra sensitive to noise. Fine if you’re a late night person like me.

The location was perfect for us as it was walking distance to the Riverfront, where tourist, heavy traffic at night, pubs and night clubs overpopulate the area. That’s a plus point for me as it avoids the crowd and is generally cleaner. (A tip: The nearest direction to walk to the Riverfront-From Sundance, take a left, walk to the end of the street, turn left, walk past a row of restaurants on your left, and make a right turn at the first junction and you’re at the Riverfront.)

From here, you can walk to various tourist places such as the National Museum (5mins), Royal Palace(15mins), Central Market (20mins+) as well.

You can find restaurants and pubs around Sundance. The Little Noodle Shop is one of the must try restaurants around that area. The rest are pretty okay. For drinking, you can either go to the bar below or walk up to the Riverfront to catch the nightlife happening there.

The pool is so-so. Seems that it might need a little cleaning when we went for a dip. Works for cooling down on a hot day. The bar was pretty awesome. There was an open mic night when we were there (Tuesday) where there is some pretty decent music to listen to.

The rooms are good! Carefully considered and designed for travelers. Rain shower, clean bathrooms, a mini fridge, comfy beds, a little safebox. Only thing is that there was no kettle in the room, might want to stock up some bottles of mineral water. The internet TV and WiFi is another plus point! No need to worry about power points as they use universal power socket.

I think there are two Tuk Tuk drivers based in Sundance. You can always see them downstairs at the bar waiting to provide transportation services to guests. Both of them are very nice, helpful and accommodative. Can use them as the pricing is almost about almost the same as the rest.

Room Tip: Consider that there’s a pub downstairs, seems to be one room without windows, and that there only 11...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2012

i stayed here in march with a friend and didnt really know what to expect, but upon arrival we where greeted by Harry one of the owners with a beer and a warm welcome. Dont know why the girl on here gave it a bad review about the friendlyness? because everyone went out of there way to make us feel comfortable and told us where to go to eat, drink, and take the tuk tuk to see attractions in phnom penh. right the rooms are extra special big beds tv with wireless internet and pleny of space for all your possesions really for the money i felt spoilt and ive stayed in some big chain hotels that dont even come close! so much so we stayed longer than we inteded too. the bar area is good with a nice breeze coming through the front to the pool area in the back which is great while drinking a nice cold beer at only $1 yes $1 now thats cheap!!!!!! i got drunk one night and couldnt open the door to the hotel but was greeted by a laughing Harry who escorted me to my room lol now thats good security felt safe all the time here. The owners Harry and Buster are the life and soul of this hotel. i will be back soon thankyou for the laughs and great holiday.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends