“good location, cheap and quiet place to stay!”

Velkommen Backpackers
Bangkok, Thailand
“good location, cheap and quiet place to stay!”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

it is a good location in the backpackers area along the river side which is also a walking distance to the royal palace, silver pagoda and the national museum!

cheap accommodation and very helpful staff! dorm 4 is the best room to stay because it has air condition, big beds and lockers.

location, value for money and safety is what i like most in this guesthouse.

Room Tip: dorm 4 is the best ;)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Indonesian first
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here in April 2013.
It is right in the heart of backpackers district in PP, just off the riverside, which isn't a river to be excited about by the way!
Rooms were clean enough, ours was a bit gloomy though, the window didnt really offer any light.
Good value though, as PP seems quite expensive.
We may have stayed for a 2nd night if we were staying longer in town.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed April 7, 2013

It was my first experience to stay in a backpackers hostel. Stayed in 4 mix dorms AC room. On the first night I couldn't get my sleep. There's a pub downstairs and the music was playing loudly. Could only sleep after everyone came up to sleep. And it was very hot, hence i ask for the remote control and kind enough they let me adjust the temperature myself. On the second night, everything was ok. The toilet, not really in good condition sometimes. But location wise I would say great.. Overall was ok..

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed in the AC dorm for 4 nights enjoying the great cold at night, I could sleep like a baby. Staff very friendly and helpful. Cleaning needs to be improved: bins emptied more often, give a good clean up to the ensuite bathroom of the dorm all the way in the back on the first floor and check the drains of the common showers.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We booked to stay here for 2 nights, but left after 1. We were staying in a private double room with ensuite and were not not expecting luxury by any means for the price, but did hope for something a bit better. The staff were not very friendly when we checked in (but were much better in the morning), the room was small and dingy and not clean (toenail clipping in the bed - yuck!), the bathroom was grimy and smelt awful (probably from the drains), but the main reason we moved was because it was far too hot. The wall fan was broken (in fact it started smoking when the guy who showed us the room turned it on), but there was a portable fan. However with no ventilation in the room it did nothing - the corridor outside was cooler! On the plus side, it is a good location.

Room Tip: Go for aircon or a window in the hot months!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Claire D
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I visited Phnom Penh after spending two years living and working in South Korea. Velkommen Backpackers lodge is ideally located in the bustling area of Riverside with restaurants, bars and famous sites close by. I arrived at about 11:30pm and my room was ready. I stayed in a private room for 3 nights. The bedroom and bathroom were very spacious and clean. The staff were incredibly friendly. They always had smiles on their faces and always ready to strike up a conversation (this is my personal experience). On one nght after their shift, we all went out together and they showed us some nice places to go to.

This is an excellent backpackers and as a solo traveler it's so easy to meet new people. I was fortunate enough to run into one of my friends from Korea and also made a whole lot of new friends, including the staff.

I stayed on the ground floor about 20 meters from the main chill area. If you're an early sleeper I suggest you get ear plugs because the music at the hostel plays on well until about 1am when the hostel 'closes'. One of the staff members stays on night watch to open up for the party goers.

The in-house restaurant/bar is cheap but cheaper food and drinks can always be found outside of the hostel. Definitely returning.

Room Tip: * Don't stay on the ground floor unless you like loud music and a very vibey atmosphere.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Arriving in Phnom Penh about 5pm, we'd hoped to stay at Velkommen Guesthouse. Unfortunately, they were sold out, but the friendly staff member suggested we try here. We were offered a twin room for US$16 a night; we'd hoped for double but since it was late we accepted, a little disappointed. To our surprise (and relief!), it turned out 'twin room' meant 'two double beds and a room intended for four people'.

The room itself was fine. Spacious, obviously, and clean when we arrived. Not much in the way of facilities but the beds were comfortable enough. We didn't have a noise problem at all, probably because we were on a higher floor. However, the room did seem to have a bit of a bug problem; lots of ants everywhere. There were also two short powercuts there that evening. Unfortunately, as well, there's no wifi in the room, only downstairs in the bar area. So, that's what stops me from giving the place a 5 star rating.

Service though was fantastic, staff are always friendly, and the place has a neat vibe, with lots of people hanging out in the bar. It's nice and close to the riverside. The next day, we had to move to another guesthouse because they didn't have room for us to stay longer, but they let us leave our bags there while we found another place to stay.

The afternoon after we'd checked out, I suddenly realised I'd left my camera in the room, under one of the pillows. Luckily no one had checked into the room yet, and the front desk staff were happy to let me have a look, but when I went in, the room had been cleaned and the camera wasn't where I'd left it. I nearly panicked, but a smiling cleaner knocked on the door and held up my camera. What a relief!

So, while the room quality was not great, we found the service and atmosphere of the place to be excellent. Recommended for backpackers, especially if you're looking to meet people.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple