“BED BUG INFESTATION! If I could give it a zero I would.”

11 Happy Backpackers
Ranked #114 of 226 Specialty Lodging in Phnom Penh
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“BED BUG INFESTATION! If I could give it a zero I would.”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We checked into a double fan room for $8. It is very basic, quite dirty and grimy and extremely small. It was a fully tiled room that just fit a double bed inside and had a horrible en-suite bathroom but it was cheap so we decided to stay here. I should have noticed the corridors filled with mattresses and had better judgement. It is at bed time that things took a turn. I noticed a bug on my hand which I quickly identified as a bed bug. I then took to inspecting the bed and looked inside my pillowcase and there were hundreds of them on the bed and in the pillows. We collected our stuff as fast a possible and went to reception to ask to change rooms the man came to look at our room and verified with us it had bed bugs. He was not at all surprised and none of the staff were so i think they already know there is a huge problem. It was around 8.30 pm at this point and he showed me to another room which had not been cleaned since the last people had checked out, no clean bedding or anything so he proceeded to show us to another room. This room was clean and looked better than our first room. I checked the mattress and pillows and yet again there was a lot of bed bugs. I showed the employee who agreed with me and started to try and kill them. By the time we had seen several obscene rooms it was past 9pm and we were no longer willing to stay there. They gave us our $8 back and we then had to wander the streets looking for another room. We have been traveling around Southeast Asia for nine months and are well used to budget rooms but this is by far the worst place of our entire trip..... In fact it is the worst place I have ever seen in my life. DO NOT STAY HERE.... THEY HAVE A MASSIVE BED BUG PROBLEM.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chelsea R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 2, 2013

It's a great place to stay! There's a bar downstairs where you can book tours and bus tickets and a bar with pool tables if you want to play a few games or just lounge in a hammock or sofa with Wi-Fi. The private rooms cost me around $8, however I would not recommend a room directly below the bar! It is at a convenient location with lots of tuk tuks around and the service is great! Because there is no elevator, the clerk took my backpack and brought it up for me!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Haarlem, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 29, 2013

After traveling trough Thailand and parts of Cambodia we went to Phnom Penh and started searching for a backpacker hostel. A friend of mine told me the 11 Happy hostel was quite nice and after deciding to go there we had no regret! First of all, the rooms and the staff were very nice. These points are the basics for a backpacker. There was a very various amount of food choice and we liked it very much. At first we wanted to jump to other hostels in Phnom Phen but after seeing the rooftop bar we decided to stay a few more days in 11 Happy and chill out some more. Now, a month later i saw at the Facebook page they have opened another part of the hostel, a movie theater, and if i am ever going back to Cambodia i will definitely go to 11 Happy again to chill out and watch a movie.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Very nice rooftop terrace with amazing 'backpacker' atmosphere but impossible to get some rest after long day of travelling: very loud music till early morning, uncomfortable and smelly rooms with tiny beds! Maybe it´s just me getting older...

• Stayed August 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed here for two weekends after the staff had helped me and my friend when we were lost, hungry and tired. They let us wait seven hours in their cafe with our massive back packs and as they watched our bags and we chowed down on some of their scrumptious food, we got to take our feet off, curl up and power nap. My friend even got a job application done while using their free wifi. The staff literally were so helpful and kind that when we were back in the city we didn't even consider staying anywhere else. For a bargain of $5 we got a massive room, air con, en suite and service with a smile.

There's a roof top bar and wow, imagine: thunder storms rolling in, kicking off your flip flops, getting snug on a sofa/hammock, a fresh banana milkshake, chatting to other travellers, sticking a dvd on in the mini cinema in between games of pool.... paradise right??? Thats Happy 11 Backpackers. We had such good fun here and they helped us have more with the fact they sell tickets to tourist attractions and they sorted out our visa for vietnam for us within 24hours. Honestly can't say enough good things about these guys.

If I ever make it back to Cambodia, which I hope to do, I will definitely return to 11 HAPPY!!

Room Tip: Be nice to the staff and the staff will be nice to you ;)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 10, 2013

When we arrived in Phnom Penh after a very long busride from Kratie we decided to stay here after a friend's advice. Though we didn't knew there was a place with the same name at another location in PP so the tuk-tuk driver brought us to the wrong one. The only good thing about this one is the view from the rooftopbar (the food was average) and the location. The room had no windows, a noisy fan, a hard bed and no atmosphere. It actually felt like a tomb. When I asked for another room that wasn't possible, and since I still had hope because of my friends recommendation (which afterwards knowing was another place) I decided to stay anyway. After that the staff was not very friendly at all and didn't even want to help us with finding a hospital for my gf. The women at the counter was annoying and asking with an angry voice "Where are you going today?" every time if you left the hostel because -off course- she wanted to sell us bustickets. Then at 12 o'clock the fun began and the rooftopbar was making noise like a nightclub. Then there were also drunk puking kids at the corridors. After one night we decided to leave this mess immediately.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Phnom Penh hotels

Ellesmere Port, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2013

The rooms here are very cheap. Therefore they are basic and small. The air-con worked and the mattresses were surprisingly comfortable.

The rooftop terrace is definitely worth a visit, even if you are not staying in the hostel. It is very big, with comfy chairs, a large variety of food and cocktails and is a great place to meet people. There is also a big TV at one end with a huge selection of DVDs for you to chose from if you just want to laze around.

We didn't book in advance so when we checked in, we needed to wait for a room to be cleaned for us. The bedding, floors and bathroom were clean but other parts of the room were covered in grime that was removable by wet wipes.

We stayed in a room that was one floor down from the bar so we were able to get wifi in our room. The main downside to our stay here was the noise from the music in the bar and street noise. The music was very loud until the early hours.

• Stayed July 2013