All reviewsawesome rooftop bartourist attractionsnight marketroyal palacedorm
Reviewed September 21, 2012

After having a pretty lousy first night in Phnom Penh at another guesthouse, I came in search of something more relaxed, with better customer service, and at possibly better rates. I found all of that and more at 11 Happy Backpackers. This place is amazing!

The staff are incredibly friendly - the rooms are nice, and at an unbeatable price (I'm paying $7USD for a quiet private room with a fan - I paid the same for a loud dorm room at the other hostel), all the food I've eaten on the MASSIVE ROOFTOP PATIO has been outstanding. Of course, the prices are geared a little more towards the tourists, but the quality makes up for it.

The rooftop bar can get a little rowdy at night, but it's a very social location, and the location is perfect as it's centrally located and close to the river.

I'm very satisfied with my stay here and would recommend it to anyone looking for the aforementioned. I've decided to stay a couple extra nights because I like it that much :)

Room Tip: The interior rooms don't have windows, and are cheaper because of this, but they're also very dark and quiet at night, making for incredible sleeps. You may want to choose something on one of the lower floors if you plan on going to sleep before the bar closes, as it can get pretty loud at night, and I imagine that resonates into the rooms directly below it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 28, 2012

The staff were helpful and came to fix our broken toilet immediately when we asked. The wifi didn't work in the rooms but worked well in common areas. The roof top bar was nice, even gets a nice breeze which is a nice change from the oppressive heat that you usually get outside! The music goes on until late night which wasn't a problem even when we wanted to sleep, but the rooms were basic at best, and not very well looked after or even cleaned. Best for young travellers who are just interested in partying.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2012

First and foremost, the tuk tuk driver will tell you that this hostel has moved location. Having heard this scam before (thinking he would take me to his friends hotel) I stuck to my guns and it turns out it had moved, so... believe the tuk tuk drivers!! The staff here are terrific, they really are some of the friendliest people I met in Cambodia. The rooftop bar had a great selection of food and drink, pool tables, sofas and wifi access. Rooms were great, nothing special but its a backpackers so what do you expect! Try and get a room near the bottom of the building as it can get quite noisy with the rooftop bar pumping out music to the early hours. We booked a great motorcycle driver/guide through reception, I can't remember his name but he could talk for Cambodia so just mention that to them and i'm sure they will hook you up with the right guy.

Room Tip: Try and get a room near the bottom as it can get quite noisy with the rooftop bar pumping out music to the early hours.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We stayed at 11 Happy for 4 nights. The location couldn't be better and our room was very comfortable. We paid a few extra dollars to have a window since the rooms without are tiny and cell-like.

The staff downstairs at reception are really friendly and helpful, but the staff upstairs in the bar were always grumpy and disinterested. They made ordering food and drinks a bit uncomfortable!

When we did order food it was always chaotic, even ordering a coffee would take forever. On a quiet morning we waited over 45 minutes for a toasted sandwich!

Bit of an ant problem in the bar. The sauces and sugar jars were covered in them.

As others have said the music from the bar is loud at night and could be heard from our room on the 3rd floor.

Apart from the bar staff this was a great stay!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I absolutely love Happy 11!! It's in a terrific spot, right on River side, and a comfy little place. They have the best staff in Phnom Penh if you ask me. Just lovely, really helpful people. The drinks are great, it always feels safe, and there are no lurkers like some of the bars in PP. The rooftop bar is gorgeous and great place to get away from the busy busy city, and just relax, but if you've got the right music on, you can find few people dancing away till 2am. Always meeting new people there, mostly young travellers, and as far as I'm concerned the rooms are pretty decent. Love you Happys!

Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends