All reviewstourist attractionsnight marketroyal palacerooftopdorm
Reviewed June 22, 2012

A vibrant place with a brilliant roof top bar with plenty of seating & a couple of hammocks to relax in. The staff are really friendly & helpful & will even barter with the tuk tuk drivers for the best rates for you. Everything is within easy walking distance - the palace, central market & night markets that are all worth a look in. The killing fields & S21 are a short tuk tuk ride away and can be arranged through the hotel. Lots of places to eat locally & a supermarket is on the next corner if you're on a tight budget. The food in the guest house is also very good with milkshakes to die for.

The rooms are either air con or fan but the fans are very good. If you don't like the room you are shown to ask to see another one & the staff will be happy to oblige. I've stayed all over the world & this back packers has been the absolute best place to stay...... Enjoy your experience

Room Tip: Room 213 is quiet, has 2large windows, an ensuite & 2 double beds so is large but very reasonably priced. And of course cheaper the more who stay in it (4)
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We stayed at this Guest House on 3 separate occasions in February 2012 as it was so good. We found the staff happy, smiling and so so helpful. The rooms are very basic, two beds, cold water and fan and at $14 a night, what a bargain. We did run out of toilet paper but that was not a problem as the cleaner's store room was next door to Room 101. The roof top bar was excellent but a long hike from the first floor, especially as I suffer from asthma!!!
Reception is a little crazy, a very high bar/reception desk and it feels very uncomfortable trying to talk to the helpful staff. Buses were booked easily and cheaply from reception and we a;ways got a good welcome. The young lad working as a waiter was brilliant.... such a lovely smile whenever you asked him for something. In fact, nearly all the staff were excellent. The only downside was the young staff working in the rooftop bar. There were four of them and it was almost impossible to get served as they seemed intent on watching the tv or playing with their mobile phones. Not impressed at all.
On our second visit we had room 301. This was nearer the rooftop bar, helped the asthma but, unfortunately it was impossible to sleep due to the noise from the bar and the rooftop bar toilets being next door to our room and the noise of drunken revellers in the toilet!
Thank goodness, on our third and final visit we had room 101 again.
Our room wasn't cleaned but that was because we placed our pad lock on the door and was our choice so no complaints there. We got friendly with the resident Tuk Tuk drivers outside. We found them pleasant, friendly and not pushy at all and the Security man on the door. What a wonderful man he was. Always a smile, always helpful and when he got to know us he even gave us a salute whenever he saw us. Overall, a brilliant place to stay, good prices, good value for money and I would recommend it to anyone. Incidentally, we were first time geriatric back packers both aged 63!!!

Room Tip: Book the first floor.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 27, 2012

The roof top bar is amazing. It overlooks the river and has hammocks, a pooltable, TV and plenty of space to lounge around. The staff are fun and even let you take control of the music (as long as you don't put on crap everyone else hates :P) The rooms are basic and come with either fan or aircon but lets face it....how much time are you really going to spend in your room? The food is also great offering a variety of western and asian dishes (try the beef loc-lak!)
It's right near riverside, which is a huge hit with travellers for food, shopping etc. Also, Sorya and Central market it literally a 5-10min walk down the road. Convenient.
If you want your room cleaned, you can ask the staff and they will have it done straight away.
I've had so much fun at 11 Happy and met so many wonderful people. When I was staying there, I used to bring people up just to check out the amazing rooftop.
Definitely worth every dollar.

Room Tip: Lower floors are quieter but if your going to take full advantage of the cheap drinks at the rooftop bar, maybe get a top floor room to save you stumbling drunk down the stairs ;)
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I wasn't in backpacker mode at the time as i was staying with a friend and so we got a single room. I honestly think it's slightly over priced for what's on offer. The ground floor looks great etc but when you start going up it gets a little ragged. Our room looked like they cleaned the bed sheets and the bear minimum.

If you're on the top floor, which is great for hanging out in to be honest, pool table, tv, bar but if you order food it's going to be cold as it comes from the kitchen on the ground floor and comes up on an outside elevator. The 2 breakfasts we had were cold.

Secondly they could really have a think about their guests and the music pumping till all hours. It's all good when you're in the middle of it but you know when you need one of those early nights well you won't get it.

Plus maybe a little security around the place, one guy was banging on his door to get in for at least an hour. He was clearly drunk or whatever that's grand it happens but no body was around to intervene.

To be honest you get what you pay for and it's grand. I was just expecting a little more.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I stayed at Happy 3 seperate times, of course going back because I thought it had a good atmosphere, friendly staff and adequate rooms, which is really does. I didnt want to write a bad review but on my last day of 3months of travelling SEA I experienced the only rude service I had come across. Not once in 3 months had a hotel changed the price of the bill on me when I went to pay, nor treated me with the disrespect that I experienced. I was leaving SEA on this day so had only enough money to pay the room bill (The amount we had agreed on when checking in..), and enough to last me that last day- getting to the airport etc, but the staff at the hotel when I told them I didnt have that money told me they didnt care if I couldnt get to the airport just pay and get out of my guesthouse. 3 months in SEA with no troubles like this, I honestly wouldnt recommend staying there just yet, Im sure they have potential to be a really good backpackers/guesthouse but let them get their act together for a while longer to avoid getting ripped off. Happy 19 just down the road, give them ago if your in need for a backpackers, thats friendly staff.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends