“Order the Peruvian dishes. Skip the "Mexican."”
Review of The Coffee Shop - CLOSED

The Coffee Shop
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery
Description: Our Love. "If you love your job, you'll never work a day in your life." The Coffee Shop is just that. What began as an idea and as two individuals' desire to love what they did for a living has quickly turned into something so much more. The thought to provide people with their morning and afternoon cup of coffee has evolved into helping create a local stomping ground for people and cultivate an environment of ideal-seeking. Giving back to and servicing the community is the foundation of Birch's philosophy. We care for people first and coffee is a very close second. The Coffee Shop is dedicated to not being just another local coffee shop, rather the ultimate coffee shop - a coffee for Cambodians a Coffee Shop to my Country.
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Order the Peruvian dishes. Skip the "Mexican."”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

The Peruvian dishes are tasty. The lomo saltado is very good and alone would guarantee my return. But if you come here to order "Mexican," you may be disappointed, particularly if you are from an area where Mexican food is excellent and on offer everywhere.

Also, the wait can be long. And there is no happy hour.

Visited June 2011
Richard R, Owner at The Coffee Shop, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
If you are coming from Los Angeles or California and you are never being in Mexico that means you don’t know half of Mexican food, what you eat in USA is make for American taste and adapted to.
First I work as assistant chef in a good name restaurant hotel in DF Mexico, I learned al the country taste and recipes from Guadalajara to Tijuana wish are de best Mexican food. Don’t mistake me with the mix of culture in USA yes the Mexican food that you it in, is testy and good. But it’s not real Mexican and me to I cannot said my food is 100% real Mexican because a don’t have all the spices. But it will be the closes Mexican food you will have in Asia.
Ps. Is ironic the you like lomo saltado because only one restaurant in Peru server like my. The rest of the country it with soya! And for the service I am not a fast food restaurant!!!! all the dishes are prepared fresh. Nothing is prepared or cooks and advance. And all dishes are personalized for each customer.
Thank you very much for your comments please continues!
La cita Administration.

Sacramento, California
“Food and service not quite there yet”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I really wanted to like this place because I love South American food. Despite being on a busy street in the height of tourist season, it was deserted and the staff seemed completely unprepared for customers. 25 minutes after drinks were ordered, we asked where they were, and were told that they were waiting for the owner to show them how to make them. 20 minutes later, they came back to report they didn't have the necessary ingredients. The food was ok -- not the uniquely South American feast I was hoping for, and not enough to overcome the lackluster service and dull atmosphere.

That said, the owner was very friendly and clearly trying to keep us happy despite an inexperienced and somewhat incompetent staff and a desolate restaurant. This place is new...perhaps if they get into a groove it will perk up.

• Visited February 2012