“Definitely a place to visit!”

Daughters of Cambodia Visitor Centre
Ranked #3 of 121 things to do in Phnom Penh
More attraction details
Owner description: Daughters of Cambodia is a social enterprise empowering victims of trafficking to leave the sex industry through alternative employment. At the Daughters Visitor Centre, visitors can gain insight into the endemic of trafficking that is ravaging Cambodia while learning more about what Daughters is doing to stop it. Moreover, visitors can actually participate in our work by frequenting one of the three social enterprise businesses housed at the Visitor Centre — our fair-trade shop, cafe or women's spa — all of which provide former victims of trafficking with the vital income and skills to build thriving lives for themselves outside the horrors of the sex industry. To see the cafe's menu or a list of the spa's services, find the Daughters of Cambodia Visitor Centre on Facebook.If you have a large party, please call ahead of time to allow us to better accommodate you.
Wokingham, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Definitely a place to visit!”
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

The place itself was very well done, they sell lovely bags, clothes and nice bits and bobs for your home. The food was amazing, I had a cheese burger and I've got to say it could possibly be the best I've ever had, the banoffee milkshake I had was amazing too (a little small though) the ladies were polite and very smiley. I had a full body massage for 13 dollars, it was really relaxing, I'd recommend that too! You should definitely visit this lovely place if your going to Phnom Penh whether its to use the spa or for the cafe!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Wonderful food, atmosphere, shipping & cause.”
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

We absolutely loved this place! The food was very good and so was the shopping and service. It is an amazing thing this organization is doing for men & women who are coming out of trafficking. We are hoping for them to continue their good work in Cambodia & for more places to follow their example!

Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“come for the people, not for the food”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

the idea behind this place is superb, the food is ok but could be so much better. Unbelievable what the girls have to go through and what a great alternative that place has to offer for them. If they would sort out the food and raise taste and the flavour's of their dishes, the place would be outstanding.

Visited June 2013
DaughtersCambodia, Public Relations Manager at Daughters of Cambodia Visitor Centre, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Hi Mirko M.,

I am very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your food during your recent visit to Daughters. We typically receive great feedback on the taste and flavor of our dishes, so any information you could provide regarding the specific items you ordered and what exactly was wrong with them would help us to better refine our menu. As with any restaurant, Daughters relies on detailed customer feedback to help us improve our food and service.

Amanda King
Donor Relations & Marketing
Singapore, Singapore
82 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“More needs to be done to equip these girls with language and customer skills”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Went there wanted to have my lunch, buy some souvenir and to get myself a manicure.  When I arrived, was told that I had to wait 30mins for manicure as they were full.  So I proceeded to 2nd floor to have lunch at the Sugar n Spice Cafe.  Trying to get the serving crew to recommend their specialty but seems that they barely understand English.  So I proceed to just order from the menu.  After I placed my order, one girl came and ask me "You going for Spa now?"  Told her no, I only wanted manicure but the girls said to wait 30mins.  After about 5mins, she got another girl with better English level to tell me I can go for my manicure now.  Ok, so I went down to level 1 after getting the assurance that they will only serve my meal after the manicure.  While starting on my manicure, I saw that they started bringing my order of drink and meal to me.   Was wondering how do they expect me to have my lunch while doing my manicure at the same time?  So had to tell them to bring it back to the cafe and I will go back later for my meal.  After finished my manicure, the girl just left me seated there for 10mins without telling me what's next - is it finished, or do I proceed to make payment for my manicure or should I pay together with my meal?  And when I proceeded back to the cafe, I found my drink and meal was left sitting openly on my table.  While I understand this is a social enterprise and it was for a good cause, I think the organization should put in more effort to improve their English language level and customer service skills.  After all, it was not just to give them a job but to train them for a career.  It's a matter of not just giving them a fish but teach them how to fish for life.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank NSEL
Hi tlklhm,

Thank you for taking the time to visit our restaurant and spa during your time in Phnom Penh. I am very sorry you did not find your visit enjoyable. It must have been frustrating to experience such a break-down in communication. And I certainly understand that no one wants to sit down to a plate of cold food that's been sitting out for half an hour.

We do ask visitors to keep in mind that the Daughters of Cambodia Visitor Centre is a training facility, so there are sure to be some occasional slip-ups on the customer service side of things. But that is why we have a manager on hand to assist customers who are experiencing difficulties. Should you visit us again, please be sure to raise concerns about food and service with our Visitor Centre manager, who will sort out any problems you have while communicating your concerns to our girls, giving them a chance to learn on the job.

As for our English training efforts, you should know that many of the girls employed at the Visitor Centre left the sex industry just a few months ago, and some of them couldn't even read or write in Khmer (their own language) when they first came to us, usually because they were forced to drop out of school to enter the sex industry. So we're tasked with teaching Khmer literacy and basic English at the same time. Before girls start work at the cafe or spa, they attend regular Khmer classes as well as twice-per-week English classes. Once the girls start work at the Visitor Centre — which is sometimes just a few months after coming to Daughters in the first place — they receive weekly one-on-one tutoring sessions to address their individual strengths and weaknesses.

Do remember that learning English as a second language is far from easy, and that the girl who originally waited on you may have been with us for as little as three months. (How good would your Khmer be after just three months' study?) What's important is that when she was unable to communicate with you, she did exactly what she was trained to do: She went to a more experienced waitstaff member for help.

You are certainly right when you say our goal is to "teach these girls to fish" in order to prepare them for careers. But complete life transformation — psychological and emotional healing in addition to learning of new skills like English and customer service— takes time and patience.

We hope to see you again.

Amanda King
Donor Relations & Marketing
Auckland Region, New Zealand
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Excellent Place - Great Cause”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Well worth a visit if you are looking for good food, presents, foot massage or similar. Great cause and I recommend you visit their website and check out their other Cafe Sugar and Spice.

Visited October 2012