“A real pleasure.”

Ranked #7 of 267 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“A real pleasure.”
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

This place makes for a delightful retreat in the bustling city. The exterior and interior are classic and charming with a superb pool area to lounge. Best of all, the cafe on the first floor serves up the tastiest complementary breakfast we had in our 3 week trip -- not to be missed are the Nutella crepes and quality cappuccino.

The manager told us the building is the former residence of the US Ambassador, which only seems fitting since the staff make you feel welcomed and comfortable from the minute you walk in the door.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AnnieLZ
White Mansion B, General Manager at White Mansion, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Annie,

The real pleasure was for all of us to have you in White Mansion! Thank you so much for your kind and sweet review, it was shared with all of our team. It is positive energy for the all day.

Glad you appreciated our Chef freshly cooked breakfast every morning.

We are looking forward to welcoming you in White Mansion again soon.

General manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Oldham
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Just spent two nights in Phnom Penh which was amazing. The city is mad, very busy, chaotic driving, incredible sights everywhere. The White Mansion was the former US embassy and it is a stunning hotel. Very friendly and courteous staff and the whole atmosphere is very classy. We had room 411 which had a small balcony overlooking the city. I spent one sunset watching a group of Flying Fox bats leave their roost and fly across the Mekong to a small island where they feed in the fruit trees-breathtaking. The room wasn't large but it had everything we needed. The hotel is only a couple of US dollar tuc-tuc ride away from anywhere. PP won't be everyone's cup of tea, it was miine! The people were all really friendly but some people may find the begging children and land-mine victims unsettling. Visit the holocaust museum and the killing fields, a truly moving experience. It's incredible to think that a country with such a terrible past can be place were you feel so at ease and un-threatened. There are cautions about bags and phones being snatched but I suspect the risks are much less than any western city. We ate at the Foreign Correspondence Club which was really atmospheric and interesting and if you book, you can get a table overlooking the Mekong and the busy street below. It's full of ex-pats but the Khmer food is excellent as well, I had the beef loc-lac (I think that's what it;s called) really good and the prices are reasonable. Go to PP as it is so different from what we have here, do the Pol Pot thing and learn about these incredible people and stay at the White Mansion, it's gorgeous.

Room Tip: Get 411 and watch the bats
1 Thank Degsy007
Dear Valued Guest,

Your lovely review is so positive and moving. I am pleased you enjoyed my City: Phnom Penh. Indeed very different from most capitals I traveled to in the world but also full of little treasures that can be captured at any time… A smile or a look, so many emotions we have to offer.

Thank you for choosing White Mansion as part of your experience of our beautiful country.

We all hope to see you again!

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We stayed at the White Mansion hotel twice in November 2013, for 1 night and then for 2 nights. We were very happy with all aspects of the hotel and would have loved to stay longer. The building itself was gorgeous, our twin bedded room on the ground floor was incredibly spacious, the bathroom (and associated toiletries) great. It was like a home away from home. The management and staff were unfailing attentive,generous, and helpful. Definitely will be our first pick the next time we are in Phnom Penh (hopefully that won't be too far away!)

Room Tip: Room 11 twin bedded room was very spacious.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank cso_13
Dear Valued Guest,

A home away from home… The best compliment we can receive from our Guests. And indeed, it is true, this is exactly how we think daily: we treat everyone as we would do with one of our family member.

Thank you very much for your kind words.

Ottery St. Mary, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Delightful one night stay - wish it had been longer - at this very well run boutique hotel. The staff were delightful, the bedding beautifully soft, the lap pool perfect and refreshing and the position on street 240 with its boutiques and restaurants just perfect for walking and exploring.

2 Thank happydad1
White Mansion B, General Manager at White Mansion, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

This is really positive energy for us to read your review about White Mansion. Thank you very much for taking some of your precious time to write it, we all appreciate it.

We all look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Really nice hotel with very helpful staff and great pool. Stayed for 2 nights in a standard deluxe & 1 night in Junior suite, as they were fully booked for standard rooms on 3rd night - both rooms were excellent but did not think junior suite was worth extra money - bit larger room but no balcony, smaller bathroom and less cupboard space - we may have got one of their best standard rooms (room 416), as they don't all have balconies. Would definitely stay there again (tried to book for our last night in Cambodia as well but were fully booked) but would go for a standard room.

Room Tip: Room 416 is a standard room but with balcony and huge bathroom.
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your nice review about describing White Mansion as great hotel with a very helpful staff. Indeed, we daily try to do our maximum to meet our guest s expectations.

I shared it with all our team and they were very pleased.

Have a nice week.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I agree with some of the reviewers that this hotel had some design issues. I understand that being a boutique hotel housed in an old colonial building, not all rooms are made the same.

But I believe the staff made up for it. They made up for everything so well that I can look away from the design issues. I also think that the hotel is reasonably priced for the service and quality (albeit room design issue).

I am from Malaysia, and we are not exactly world class if I say so myself. For this amount of money you will get a cheap 2 plus star hotel in Kuala Lumpur with cockroaches (if you are lucky) near Pudu or Petaling Street. So for the amount of money I paid to White Mansion I was satisfied.

Our room has an open bathroom (meaning there was no door separating the room and the bathroom) the problem is when it aircon is on it gets cold while you take a shower. Easy remedy - switch off the aircon while you are showering, that's not so hard it is? Good.

White Mansion offers made to order breakfast – what a lovely delight. I prefer this much more than standard prison canteen style hotel buffet. Try their omelette with cheese and mushroom. I had this everyday when I was there. The croissant was amazing too.

The staff made everything amazing in my opinion. Breakfast is from 6am (if I am not mistaken) but we had to catch an early flight to Siem Reap on morning and they prepared a simple breakfast at 5am as we needed to leave the hotel at 530am to catch our flight. Try doing this at a 5 star hotel, yes I know they can, they will also charge you hefty sum.

The white mansion tuk tuk in my opinion is your best bet travelling around town without getting scammed. He is reasonably priced and friendly, you need not to haggle with him. I hate having to haggle with tuk tuk drivers.

The White Mansion spa is ok for the price. I would recommend Bodia spa though (but bodia is twice the price of white mansion spa) so you get what you paid for. For ladies out there, you can get the White Mansion tuk tuk driver to send you to Bodia Spa and pick you up (this is a waaaay safer option than taking random tuk tuk, in my opinion).

Room Tip: The White Mansion spa is ok for the price. I would recommend Bodia spa though (but bodia is twice th...
1 Thank CE123
White Mansion B, General Manager at White Mansion, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

First I would like to thank you very much for this long and fair review. I shares it with all the team and they appreciated the time you took to write it.

I am pleased to see that you enjoyed White Mansion and the Chef's fresh breakfast.

Regarding the open bathroom, only 2 are designed like this out of 30.

We all hope to welcome you again on your next trip to Phnom Penh.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 26, 2013

My 2 friends and I stayed in what was advertised as a'"Junior Suite with twin beds" last week - the hotel kindly supplying a very comfortable third bed in the extremely spacious room for a very reasonable extra fee. After travelling for a couple of weeks around Cambodia in 2 star hotels, what a delight it was to stay at the White Mansion and be treated to such luxury at such reasonable prices. We could not recommend this hotel more highly.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Indeed, no better place than White Mansion to end up a journey across beautiful Cambodia.

I am pleased that you could rest and take advantage of our hotel.

Thank you for your nice review.