“Flashy, but some rooms mildew / damp”
Review of Number 9 Hotel

Number 9 Hotel
Ranked #33 of 338 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We are family of 5, stayed in 2 rooms, one was fine, other no window and very musty, mildew on ceiling.

Has a small pool on roof and pool table, good for kids. The place has aspirations to be a bit more classy than other backpacker places on street 258, but does not quite carry it off.

Food and drink expensive.

Go for breakfast included rate - breakfast not large but quite good.

Room Tip: Look at a few and choose one you like doofus
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ben N

Reviewed August 31, 2012

I didn't stay in the hotel but we all were actually having our meal here for about three to four times throughout our stay in Phnom Penh.

The food was acceptable and the environment was great (with Jacuzzi, pool and rooftop bar etc!) Lovely place for breakfast and late night supper~~~

However, the service was kinda slow. We waited for more than half an hour for the first dish to be served. Imagine that we have 7 ppl in a grp, so we actually spent most of the time waiting. Also, they calculated the money wrongly EVERYTIME, in our three visits, in three days.... If it happened only once, I could understand that it was just an error. But three time in a row made me doubt their honesty. Though just few hundred ril to less than 2 USD, it shouldn't be this way.

Despite all this, we still opted to dine in here because it was very near to our guest house. And we love their environment and lightning.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Let's start with the good: the food (at least the khmer dishes and breakfast), the restaurant/lounge staff, the location.

But the bad: the front desk service, the manager, the rooms, the price.

I can't believe the new Lonely Planet lists this place as a top pick for Phnom Penh. That, I think was the biggest frustration for us-- we wouldn't have stayed there without that review, and we were so disappointed by our choice.

Our room was very small, dark, and dingy. Yes, it was serviceably clean and had the promised a/c and tv, but it had zero charm. That in itself isn't a big deal.

But our biggest issue was with the front desk. The manager does seem to be running some sort of tuk-tuk scam. I don't know what's going on exactly, but we were uncomfortable with how some things were handled there. The manager just seemed very smarmy.

With all of the warnings about safety in Phnom Penh (which are no doubt overstated!), having hotel staff who are helpful and inspire your confidence is invaluable. Number 9 did not have that. Every interaction we had with the front desk/management left a bad taste in my mouth.

Considering the high standard of service we experienced elsewhere during our travels in Cambodia and SE Asia, I don't see any reason to stay some place that is neither especially cheap nor especially helpful.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2012

My friend and I booked this hotel for one night. We arrived at 6am from Siem Reap. The people at the front desk were very nice and we were even able to move into our room by 9am, despite the hotel being fully booked the previous night. Food and drinks were rather expensive for the quality. A large bottle of water was an outrageous $1.50. I cannot fault the hotel decor, pool and rooms.

We decided to take a taxi to Sihanoukville and the hotel owner helped us. He was helping us in trying to find an overnight bus, yet would not let us use the telephone in the hotel to call the company. We agreed on $50 for the taxi, and then after the booking was confirmed and it was too late to change anything, he said $55. We were stuck, so we paid the extra. He was then alternately rushing us along and telling us to sit down and relax while we were waiting for the taxi to arrive - very unpleasant and rude.

Room Tip: There are no elevators, so if you don't like stairs, get a room on the 1st or 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 21, 2012

If you want to book the basic single room of this hotel, please think about it! They will guide you to another hotel,Angkor mithona guesthouse, not the one you look at the website, they will not told you! And they will upgrade your room secretly, like 17usd to 25usd as well. This is not an honest hotel at all!!

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank lunatic009
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Hotel was clean, comfortable, well maintained with good food, for the price a great place to stay however, be aware of the over friendly and very helpful owner "Jimmy" He is expert at arranging Tuk, Tuks at the front door for a "cheap price" then the drivers are compelled to pay him about 40% of the fee. Also will organise long distance bus transport and charge you several dollars each to be picked up at the hotel, only to find that the fare included pickup anyway. Apart from this a good place to stay, but don't let Jimmy help, its too expensive..

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tazzie6
Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

Although the hotel has three beautiful restaurant lounges for you to relax in, the hotel offers little else. My biggest problem above all was the crusty bathroom. It was clear to me that they quickly wipe down the bathroom sink and quickly sweep the showers in between customers and that is about it.  Clearly no scrubbing or disinfecting is involved. There was crust and grime on all four corners of the bathroom floor. I could also see dried toothpaste drops on the sink that had been dry wiped. The bathroom mat had specks of dirt on it and it was never changed during my 4 day stay despite me putting used towels on it to hint that I needed a new one. The staff is sweet and charming however they don't know are uninformed and unhelpful!!!! They had little to no knowledge of local resources and basic locations. I asked that they make a booking at a specific bus company for me and they deliberately made a reservation at a completely different bus company without any explanation.  Luckily I caught the error a few hours before departure time and stood with them at the front desk while they first denied being able to reserve at my desired bus company and then suddenly they were able to. They asked me to pay for the bus ticket at the reception desk which I gladly did--- I asked for a receipt which thu couldn't come up with and they did not give me a bus voucher. When the driver from the bus company came to pick me up I had to go back inside the hotel and request my voucher which they scrambled to find. The staff is very well groomed but not helpful beyond anything but a smile. This is not a place to stay when you want to feel taken care of as if you were on vacation.

• Stayed: June 2012