“Interesting food and drink, served with passion”
Review of The Lost Room

The Lost Room
Ranked #35 of 1,474 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: 'Once was Lost but now Found' Our menu features small to medium plates of good quality & interactive ingredients that are meant for sharing in a 'dinner party' style. We would like our customers to 'graze', share and expand their taste sensations. Australian imported Lamb & Kangaroo, Pork Belly, Fish & Fusion dishes are available. Global wine selections offer many by the Glass. Our Location a bit off the "beaten track" ergo the Lost Room Please call for directions & bookings are welcomed as we are a small venue. Air Con Non-smoking inside and out side seating for those in need.Credit Cards are not accepted at this stage. Mr P tuk driver is generally available. Please come & find The Lost Room...
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Despite what other reviews say, this was very easy to find. Just print off (or copy) the relevant section of the Google map - which has the restaurant marked on it - and hand it to your driver. Ours drove straight there, although he'd never heard of it either.
It's an odd venue, but there was a pleasant lively atmosphere and the service was good. There was a lot of flexibility around ordering bits of dishes (great!) and plenty of helpful advice. We really enjoyed the falafels from the 'starters', and the sea bass and duck were both wonderful - the flavours of the chick peas and harissa with the duck were stunning.
There was a good range of cocktails and wine, and it was good to be able to talk to the staff about the wines. We would certainly return, and it deserves all the good reviews.

There are newer reviews for The Lost Room

Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

I'm sure the food would have been fine if we actually got to try it. As it was, booked for 8:30pm, was informed the restaurant is open for dinner till 10.

Spent almost a hour getting lost in unlit narrow alleyways, asked some locals for directions but nobody had heard of the lost room (and yes, we asked for directions in fluent khmer).

Finally found the place at 9:20pm, but the place just didn't look very inviting. One couple eating in the garden, could see more tables inside, but the metal gate appeared closed. I wandered inside and stood like an idiot for a while, nobody came out to offer a table, tell me the place was full, or anything else ...

By this stage both of us were cold and starving, and no longer in the mood for waiting around any longer, with no staff or menus to be seen.

Although this isn't the only place with this problem, I could never understand why a business would advertise a particular set of opening hours, but not have staff on-hand for that whole period? Left at 9:30pm, after not being greeted or even seeing anyone that looked like staff for 10 minutes.

Going to put this down as over-hyped TA reviews ...

3  Thank Andrew_Alin
derekcambodia, Owner at The Lost Room, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Andrew in response to your scathing review. Unfortunately you did not visit The Lost Room. You were a 'no-show' at 9pm for an 8.30 pm booking & I rang to see if you needed further directions as we had talked about our location being behind the Russian Compound in street 21 & if you needed further help please call back, no-one answered. TLR does not have a garden, yes we were fully booked on Thursday evening & I told you our kitchen closes at 10pm, which is the time for last orders but of course stays open to already seated guests. Every guest is greeted at the door & seated either by our polite staff or Derek or myself. By your description of the venue you visited, I gather it is a small guest house with garden in st 830. After seeing your review today I tried to call your phone on 2 occasions to discuss this problem & sent a text message. I remained at TLR until 2am with guests sitting in our small patio and you were definitely a 'no-show' . I would like you to contact me in regard. Thank You

Reviewed January 14, 2014

We ate at a The Lost Room tonight and I can honestly say this is not only the best meal I've had in Cambodia but one of the best meals I've ever had.
We had melted goat & feta cheese for starter - gorgeous (can I please have the recipe)
For main we had crispy pork belly, spicy chorizo with lentil stew & pan fried sea bass with asparagus - all dishes were to die for
Dessert was some heavenly chocolate fudge bricks - delicious
The staff and atmosphere were a joy and you can tell the owners take great pride in what they do. I only wish I was staying in Phnom Penh longer so I could go back!!

DONT MISS THIS PLACE IF YOU VISIT PHNOM PENH!!!

Until next time!
Debbie & Rich, Hornchurch, England

Debbie & Rich ,
Thank you very much for your very kind review and description of the dishes you had
It is so pleasing for us and our staff to hear how much you enjoyed your dining experience with us . Of course i will give you recipe ..please email info@thelostroom.asia .
We really do take pride in what we do and it is so nice to be recognised for that as well .
Happy travels and look forward to your next visit ..
Derek & Wendy, The Lost Room, Phnom Penh

Reviewed January 11, 2014

This is a fantastic spot with many things going for it:
- The food is all very delicious - it's an eclectic menu full of delights that are meant for sharing.
- The atmosphere is a perfect blend of tasteful and cozy without any pretentiousness (great for a date or an intimate group of friends).
- The service is solid with very friendly staff
- The value for money is definitely worth it.

Jrdnne,
Thank you for your great comments and interpretations of what the Lost Room is all about .
You hit the mark on all your comments and is exactly what we and our great staff strive to maintain.
A simple and straightforward review that will give others an idea of the Lost Room. Thank You

Derek & Wendy , The Lost Room , Phnom Penh

Reviewed January 10, 2014

I've reviewed the Lost Room before, but as the menu has almost completely changed since then, it's time for another review.

Firstly, as always, every customer is greeted warmly, and faces and names never seem to be forgotten, so a personal welcome awaits anyone who has been here before.

Becks is now on the beer menu, and at only $2.50 per bottle, this is extremely good value.

The pear and goat's cheese parcels are the only thing that my wife ever eats with goat's cheese in it. She usually hates the stuff, but the way it is prepared and combined with pear makes it delicious.

The emu last night was much more tender than the last time I tried it here. It's full of flavor too; one of the best items on the menu, although the duck is a very close second.

My ice cream cake last night was delicious, although I would have eaten a whole bowl of just the rhubarb coolie that it came with if it were possible.

Dear Ramdomguy23 ,
Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of the Lost Room offerings and especially your comments re every customer being greeted with warmth and a personal welcome .
We take great pride in what we do and it so good to hear that we are appreciated .
Thanks for reviewing us again and look forward to having you dine again with us at The Lost Room.
Derek & Wendy