“Spiceless curry”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Spiceless curry”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We went here having researched Indian restaurants in Phnom Penh and it had received good reviews plus it was close to where we were staying. Between 4 people we sampled a good variety of the menu: rice (plain & pilau), mutton curry, chicken jalfrezi, daal, prawn hyderbadi, plain naan, cheese naan & chappatti. The best were the breads by far. The mutton curry was ordered EXTRA spicy and was only very slightly spicy, the jalfrezi, normally a medium spiced curry was not spicy at all, the daal was too runny and the hyderbadi contained very few prawns. The flavours were nice enough but nothing memorable and just not spicy! The pliau rice was not pilau rice and both rices were dry. We left feeling full but disapointed. A very average experience.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Celia828

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Stop what you are doing and eat here now!”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Absolutely fantastic Indian. A wide selection of meals that never disappoint. Whilst living in Phnom Penh I ended up eating here at least once a week. Takeaway is quick and efficient, as the actual restaurant itself is not much to look at. Portions are a very decent size and I was stuffed to the brim every time.

• Visited June 2013
“Exceedingly good curry”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We usually order deliveries from this restaurant, but decided to pay a long overdue visit last night, promising ourselves not to over-order as we didn't want to lug a doggy bag to some bars afterwards. We just about got the quantity right, a butter chicken and mutton (something I can't remember right now) with jeera rice and some chapatis. The food was delicious and medium spicy as we'd requested, and we staggered out with full stomachs only $19 (including drinks.) I always find the mark of a good curry house is when there are South Asian patrons, and the fact that 3 of the tables were occupied by such just proves the point that this is the best place to get a curry in Phnom Penh.

• Visited May 2013
“Disappointing! Hyderabadi was awful curry!”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I went to restaurant after seeing that it was number one on ta for Indian food in Phnom Penh. We went into restaurant about 9 o clock or half 9 pm. There was only one other person in restaurant , which I now know why. One good positive was that we got free popadoms but they were a little bit stale and the dips that came with it were pretty awful. The green one which is normally mint was the hottest and the other sweet one was too thick to enjoy . One other thing which was quite good was the manager explained about the dips which one was hottest. We ordered chicken tikka masala and chicken Hyderabadi. The chicken tikka masala was ok to be fair , but still like the other Hyderabadi only had about 3 pieces of chicken in it . On the other hand the Hyderabadi was the worst curry I have ever tried. For a start it was green I have never seen this curry so green before. It stated that it has spinach in it which I normally love in a curry but this was overloaded. All you could taste was spinach but in a bad way . Very sickly and strong taste. The naam bread was nice and we got samosa for starter which was ok. One other bad thing was that within ten minutes of been here the other diner left so we were only people in there. My girlfriend was sat in corner under television which we didn't realise when we entered restaurant, she said like she felt she was in their front room as they were staring at television. Also one other point was that towards end of meal the service team tried to clean up my plate labour 3 times while I was still not finished. Giving the impression thatbtheybwantwd us to leave, it was late about half 10 when we left but they were supposed to be open until 11. Don't bother going if u do , do not get Hyderabadi.

• Visited May 2013
“Why are there so few Indian restaurants in Phnom Penh?”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This restaurant is unusual in this area of Phnom Penh. Although others may offer some Indian style dishes, Sher-e-Punjab appears to be the only genuine Indian restaurant in the main riverfront zone (and in the whole of Phnom Penh only 7 are listed currently in Yellow pages). Also, the portion sizes seem large by Cambodian standards. On one occasion, more food was served than I could eat - a rare event. Although I'm not sure if it was under the same name at the time, I first ate here in 2007, and then made several visits in April and May 2013. Staff members sometimes seemed a little shy, but the service was professional, and the food consistently good. It is an indoor airconditioned eaterie, but there are also 2 tables out at the front on Street 130. I found it was good to eat indoors away from cigarette smoke and the crazy Phnom Penh traffic. The menu is big, but not too big. One of the highlights was fish tikka. This was a delicate and moist dish, but just in case, it was served with a small pot of light curry sauce. Another thoughtful touch was the small, sweet dessert ('Gulab Jamun'?) served automatically at the end as an extra.