“A Must-Stop for Curryheads in Cambodia”
Review of Sher-e-Punjab

Sher-e-Punjab
Ranked #57 of 1,503 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Cuisines: Asian, Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Having lived in India, I'm quite critical of Indian food outside of India. A lot of places overprice and under-spice their food, so I usually go into Indian restaurants with lowered expectations. This little single-shop sized place off the Riverfront exceeded my expectations in every way from the food and the service.

The complimentary papadoms and drinking water were greatly appreciated since I came into the place starved. I always over-order at Indian places (especially when dining solo) because I always like to try the naan and the jeera rice. The naan serving was massive, as was the plate of rice. These two alone could have filled me up. I ordered the Vindaloo and requested it be made extra spicy. The curry was dry (in a good way - not over soupy) and delicious. It came with a liberal garnishing of cilantro and ginger, and big chunks of chicken breast that outnumbered the chunks of potato (always a good sign). It was spiced to perfection.

The ambiance is not the best, but I don't expect that - I've found the uglier the color of the walls (in this case pink), the better the food.

The portions are huge, all together, I could only eat about half of my meal which cost $9 (with two Cokes). The leftovers were given to a good friend of mine who also loved the food. All in all, this was my best Indian dining experience in Cambodia, and it will be on my food itinerary next time I'm in Phnom Penh for sure.

1  Thank frozendonkeywheel

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Don't be put off by the somewhat worn menus and unusual curry-house atmosphere. We were greeted at our table with complimentary nibbles (including poppadums & chutneys) and free filtered water.

Our starters arrived quickly and were throughoughly enjoyable. Our main course of Chicken Tikka Masala and Chicken Korma were equally enjoyed. The chicken was tender, and marinated well in the sauce. Furthermore, the fruity naan was absolutely delicious.

All in all, if you've been walking around Phnom Penh all day, this is one restaurant that will fill your stomach for a very reasonable price. Make sure you leave room for the complimentary dessert!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

One of the best bread selections that I have ever had at an Indian restaurant--more than a page in the menu! The bread we got was Afghan flavor with lots of fillings inside--delicious!! Overall the place is small but has nice ambiance. It can get busy as sometimes small tour bus will bring them here.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Sher Punjab 2 is good as ti is larger than sher Punjab 1 and the service is great. Left full and satisfied

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Indeed good selection of indian (or pakistan?) food. Many foreign locals eat here. Easy to find, just ask around.