“Nice location, served low-grade rice and flubbed a basic dish--the ham and cheese”

Anise Restaurant, Phnom Penh
Ranked #67 of 1,589 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Cuisines: Asian, Cambodian, International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Wholesome and delicious Southeast Asian and Western food served in a lovely and lush garden terrace setting or in-door a/c dining room. The family, returning Cambodians from France and the United States, who owns and manages this restaurant takes pride in creating an atmosphere as close to home as you will find outside of your own dining room. Loyal expatriate following and consistently great reviews from customers. Free wifi.
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Have eaten here a number of times. I like their lasagna and bacon-cheese burger.

Last night I ordered the ham and cheese sandwich.Consisted of paper thin slices of ham and of cheese, grilled in a sandwich griller. The bread was of the worst quality--the sweet and cheap bread sold on the streets here. The french fires that accompanied my hamand cheese were machine-cut and stale.

The rice served with our Khmer beef salad wasn't fragrant,it was odorous.From this and from the bread in the ham and cheese sandwich, I have a sneaking suspicion that the cooks are not fully spending the food allowance on quality materials. Low grade rice should be avoided--it is possibly adulterated with chemicals.

Management needs to pay close attention to how the kitchen budget is being used and watch out for funds being "diverted" from quality ingredients.

The three stars are based on my recollection of how the lasagna and bacon cheeseburger tasted.

King Grand Suite's restaurant,a block away,serves a much better ham and cheese sandwich. I just had one.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I had cannelloni here which I thought I would not finish because there was so much of it. I polished the whole lot. And the cocktails here are wicked. For my second cocktail, the barman recommended a strawberry magarita and I am not a fan of either, yet I absolutely adored it. I cant recall what other cocktails I had LOL but they were delicious!

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Whether you want a light snack or a healthy meal with pizazz, come between 4-7 for tasty cocktails at $2 or a large draft of local Angkor beer for 75 cents.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Great setting on the terrace. If I was picky I would say to is a little too closes to the road, and sometimes you can hear the noisy traffic.
The food is good value for money, but a little on the expensive side for Phnom Penh.
Great for a date, or taking the wife out for a meal!

1  Thank m_lee84
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Anise has a big veranda what makes the atmosphere great and romantic. We ordered both local food: i had the ginger chicked, my partner the Khmer curry. We were asked if we wanted rice with that as it turned out you have to pay extra for that on top of the already 5-6 dollar for the meal.
My ginger chicken was really good! The rice was the worst we had eaten so far during our 3 week trip: it was cold and it seemed to be reheated several times. After complaining they brought us some new rice that was better. The Khmer Curry was ok according to my partner. But that can be a matter if taste.
Overall nice place to have dinner, but probably not the best in town.

1  Thank Annika T