“Traditional US style burger”

Mike's Burger House
Ranked #166 of 1,443 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Cuisines: American, Asian
Description: Other Phone Numbers 069 55 66 71 012 633 971
Description: Other Phone Numbers 069 55 66 71 012 633 971
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Traditional US style burger”
Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

These burgers are very traditional burgers straight from the beaches of California. My friends ordered huge burgers that could not fit in the mouth to bite, and I had a smaller cheeseburger. It tasted very good, but very filling.

• Korean first
Kampong Thom, Cambodia
“Good burger for the price”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I stopped in at Mikes on the way home, taking the opportunity to have lunch and fuel up my bike at the same time.

I ordered the Classic American cheese and bacon burger, grabbed a coke from the fridge, paid up front, got my order number and sat outside in their nice little 'garden' area at the front of the building.

Burger was out in front of me in about 5 minutes.

Initial impression was that you get a lot of meal for $3.75. Bread was soft, iceberg lettuce abundant and contained a good sized, well done burger. Massive bag of napkins and two gigantic sauce bottles were placed on my table to use as needed, but I just ate it as it came.

Not the best burger I have eaten in Cambodia, but very good value for money. It reminded me of a larger version of the burgers I used to get at Chinese takeaway and fish and chip shops back home.....and that's not a bad thing....they were my favourite kind of burger back then. Flavour didn't pack a punch, as the meal was overwhelmingly bread, but it went down nicely, and fulfilled my expectations.

I didn't get fries. If I had, the meal would have been $5.75 and far more than what I required.

I would eat here again, although getting back out onto the road in the direction I wanted to head in was a little tricky.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Richard M
“Hits the Spot”
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

For my husband, an American Midwesterner, Mike's Burger House is proving to be an irresistible draw. I hadn't had a hamburger for years, but it was his turn to choose where to eat. The name sounded familiar and I realized that a few days earlier, I had taken a picture of the place as I passed by on a bus, thinking "a burger joint behind a gas station? No thanks!" Our tuk-tuk driver came up Mao Tse Toung Boulevard (St. 245) and at Russian Boulevard, crossed the road and cut across a Tela gas station and drove against traffic into the Sokimex gas station area where the restaurant is. The parking lot and the restaurant were packed at lunchtime. Service was fast and efficient. We ordered bacon cheeseburgers and chili fries. To me, the patty looked like a fast food burger - finely ground until the patty was almost solid. It would have been nice to have a coarser grind. The iceberg lettuce was crisp and the onions were great. The chili fries were good; I especially liked the chopped raw onions, tomatoes, and peppers that topped it, but have the same comment on the meat. I had a root beer float - huge and creamy, better and bigger than ones I've had at home. In any case, my husband happily wolfed everything down and is talking about going again...
The entry area also has shelves of Costco-sized packaged food for sale.

Port de Sihanoukville, Kampot, Cambodia
“Burger from Hell”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

A Burger from Hell
Being an advocate of open-mindedness and anti-habitual behavior patterns last week I chose to reevaluate one of my culinary aversions - hamburgers.
Yes, the ubiquitous burger has been on my “don’t like” list for going on to 45 years. Just find the combo of a quarter pound of ground beef, charbroiled with sautéed onions, mushrooms, gooey American and cheddar cheese, mayo, mustard, ketchup, lettuce, tomato, and pickles served between two bulbous seeded buns kind of innocuous. The bland quotient is too featureless for my taste. My take on burgers is similar to what famous poet, novelist and art patron Gertrude Stein said about Oakland, California: “There is no there, there.” In less arcane lingo, a burger is so insipid it lacks character; it relies to a great extent on the condiments for flavor. Don’t get me wrong burgers are not inherently bad tasting, just boring.
So Cowgirl and I were in Phnom Penh last weekend and a teacher I’ve known for a couple of years called and asked if we could get together for lunch to meet his new common law wife. He has very conservative to the point of punctilious food likes. Not adventuresome, many dishes he won’t tolerate, so in deference to his fussiness I suggested we meet at Mike’s Burger to play it safe.
Cowgirl and I arrived 20 minutes early so had some time to check out the menu options and leisurely decide what we’ll try. I was immediately charmed by the photo of their Jalapeno burger on the menu. The image of a ground beef patty smothered with a pile of piquant jalapeno slices and melted cheese oozing off the sides of the bun was mouth-watering. Cowgirl chose the chicken nuggets.
Once Simon and his significant other arrived, we all ordered and sat down in one of the orange-ish Naugahyde booths. The décor is inspired by “greasy spoon” eateries very often found along interstate highways in the US. Guess you could call it faux greasy spoon chic.
Well, in a short time our orders arrived; they live up to the name fast food. Then reality hit. The mangy thing set in front of me looked nothing what-so-ever like the menu image. It was reminiscent of Clara Peller’s “where’s the beef?”ads for Wendy’s that were popular in the 80s. One big old, semi-stale bun hiding a pint-sized burger with no more than three jalapeno slices scattered on top with a miniscule dollop of half- melted cheese-like substance. Went up to the cashier three times for more jalapeno slices; they doled them out like they were made of gold. I was expecting a fiery taste treat; all I got was a stale bun with no fire inside at all. Awfully disappointing. Then to top it all off the bill threw me for a loop! A whopping $16.60 for the two of us. Maybe for all you well-heeled foodies that doesn’t sound like much, but for my budget of $8 per day to feed the family of four three meals, it’s astronomical. If the burger tasted half as good as it looked in its picture, I wouldn’t mind paying, but for that horrible thing foisted on me, it was insulting.
For the record, Simon also grumbled about the quality of the food in relation to its cost. He felt gyped too. And the same for Cowgirl’s chicken nuggets. They were dry and virtually tasteless. Instantly forgettable.
Contrary to many internet critiques, I found Mike’s burgers substandard. The cheeseburger I bought the next day at one of the street-side joints near the Old Market that cost $1.25 was much more assertive and palatable to my tastes. From my experience Mike’s is extremely overrated.

• Visited January 2014
Singapore, Singapore
“Best Burger in Town”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Our 1st stop on arriving in Phnom Penh. Was told this is the best burger joint in town and Mike's did live up to its credential. The entire group enjoyed our burger lunch. The layout looks like a restaurant and it is not a fast food. The beef patties were, to me, of the same grade as Burger King. The kids also enjoyed their cheese fries and chilli fries. I had the chicken quesadilla and it was delicious. Suffice to say, we returned to Mike's for our dinner the night before we left Phnom Penh.

• Visited November 2013