“Loved the experience”

Ranked #193 of 1,499 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Cuisines: American, Cambodian, Italian, Mexican, International
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: The Mad Monkey is an awesome restaraunt in the BKK1 Area of Phnom Penh, close to the independence monument and street 278 where the bars are. The food is five star and the atmosphere is informal funky dining with awesome service. Massive breakfast menu, international sandwiches and pizzas for lunch and an awesome dinner menu. You can also stay at the Mad Monkey - check our hotel listing.
Reviewed June 14, 2013

A five star restaurant is not what The Mad Monkey is all about. But you don't come to The Mad Monkey because you want hoitey-toitey service and Michelin Star food. You come here because it is a great place to enjoy meeting real Cambodian people who aren't afraid to talk to you and have some really fabulous food.

The first time we ate at the Mad Monkey I ordered the vegetarian lasagna. After a month of eating Thai food, I was ready for some western food. However, I didn't expect it to be absolutely delicious. I have had vegetarian lasagnas all over the world and this was one of the best. It was "almost meaty" but in a good way. I ordered it again the next night - it was that good.

The Nicoise salad was also fabulous and my husband ordered a Caesar salad that he said was delicious and another night he had the vegetable curry. Everything was really, really good and I loved the fact that I could eat salads knowing that they were safe.

However, it was the young women who served us who really touched our hearts. As this was our first experience with the Cambodian people, we engaged them in conversation. They immediately opened up, answered our questions, asked questions and before long I was getting hugs. On our last night, one of the young women took a necklace off of her neck and put it around mine. She wouldn't take it back. They also brought a necklace for my husband. We were so touched because they don't have alot materially but they do have a beautiful and generous spirit.

Part of why we are traveling through S.E. for several months is to get to know the people in each country. We felt privileged to have this opportunity at The Mad Monkey to connect with these young people who haven't had all of the advantages of a first world education or upbringing. For us, it was a real highlight of our time in Phnom Penh and it left us with a lasting memory of the beautiful heart of the Cambodian people. If you can take it all in stride, then you will thoroughly enjoy your experience at The Mad Monkey.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

It a great place for drinks and dinner. The second floor is mainly the bar area where the bottom floor is more for dining. The thing we like most about the Mad Monkey is how Alex, Tom adn Steve (the owners) support local NGOs by providing jobs for the young adults who are going to school but also need money. They are the nicest and most gracious owners you can find. The food is not bad either and both food and drink are equally priced. Have 10 cocktails in 1 evening and you earn yourself a free Mad Monkey T-Shirt. Did it and proudly wearing the shirt!

Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Been going to Cambodia for last 8 years .. Seen LOTS of changes in the restaurants in that time and this is one of the new bright spots .. Great food service and value ..

Reviewed January 6, 2013

I don't normally eat in guest houses, but I thought I'd make an exception as I had heard good things about the Mad Monkey. According to their in-house literature, they train staff in hospitality and employ disadvantaged young people.

Although it took several minutes to get a menu, the rest of the service was very good. Water arrived after I'd finished my coffee, but that was OK. I had a filled omelet, which was packed with ham and mushrooms. All good. My wife went for caesar salad. Surprisingly, it came with real shaved Parmesan cheese, not the horrible pre-ground stuff. We were impressed. 2 meals, 3 cups of coffee, $14.50, so excellent value.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We were disappointed with this restaurant as we'd been told by friends that it was good and it has the potential to be, but the food was very average and as others have reviewed the service was poor, we got the feeling that the staff were trying really hard to be 'western', but being loud and not attentive doesn't work!
Sad to say, we won't be back nor will we recommend, however if you do go the coffee was really good.