“A really pleasant stay”

Ranked #26 of 265 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Turin, Italy
“A really pleasant stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

We stayed at this hotel only one night, on our way from Vietnam to Siem Reap. This is a shame, because we had a really pleasant experience and would have stayed for a longer time. In particular, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful, we even got an unexpected welcome cocktail, and the hotel manager came to personally greet us. The standard rates are not cheap, but we managed to find a good bargain through booking.com, therefore we can't complain. The hotel itself is either new or recently restored, its location is excellent (the view on the Royal Palace, just a few minutes walk, is great), rooms are large enough and comfortable, and the small pool on the rooftop offered a pleasant break from the long trip. The included breakfast, served at the table, was also good. We would definitely stay here again at the same price.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Sivam R, General Manager at King Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2012
Dear Respectfull Guest,

First of all my heartiest thank you for staying with us. Our whole King Grand Boutique Hotel team appreciate your effort for writing a kind review about your stay here. Yes you are true, my staff's are wonderful because i choose the best and they are dedicated to their work. Honestly to say i need some more time to build their invidual capacity to the highest international level and your positive reviews are helping them to achieve the goal.
Yes we do serve ala carte breakfast, we haven't practice buffet breakfast yet because i want our guest get a fresh breakfast to begin their day. We do serve espresso, cappucino, latte, mocha for breakfast and it's included. I promise you, if you visit Phnom Penh again please be our HONORABLE GUEST and get the ROYAL service. Thank you and Happy New Year.

Yours Faithfully,
email: gm@kinggrandboutiquehotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Norwich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

Oh dear ... as they hand us both a "welcome drink", the Reception staff apologise profusely, and inform us that our room is not ready..
Andy & I have just returned to the King Grand for our second stay there, following a six day trip to Siem Reap.
After the six hour Mekong Express bus ride we're in desperate need of a shower. Instead, we find ourselves, somewhat forlornly, wandering the local streets to pass the thirty minutes we've been told will be needed to prepare for our check in.
Time's up and we're back at Reception. A wide beaming smile accompanies the room key that we're given. I look at it. Room 701? How can that be? There are only six floors. We get in the lift wondering if we've previously missed seeing a button for floor seven. We haven't. As we step out onto the sixth floor we're greeted by an applauding bunch of "Santa's little helpers". Unsure how to respond, we ask for guidance to our room. Collectively, they point to some steep stairs running heavenwards beside the roof top plunge pool. We make the climb & open the door to a fabulous suite. Large, tastefully furnished, superb views out over Phnom Penh, and with all the trimmings you'd expect, this was an unexpected and truly wonderful surprise. Thank you Santa Sivam and all your little helpers. :-)
Now, there can't be many hotels in the world where the General Manager asks you what time you would like him to dress up in his Father Christmas costume, but (as Andy mentions in the following link to a short video clip) this is such a place!
When time allows we'll post more pics & video clips.
Mr Raman, your staff are a credit to you.
A great stay. We're already saving for our next return.
Wishing you all a peaceful and prosperous 2012.
Andy and Marcia

Pretoria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

The normal room rates are quite steep but we booked on a special and paid about 25% of the normal rate. The hotel is as the name suggests - 'GRAND'!
Good points:-
1. Excellent room facilities and toiletries selection.
2. Quiet location.
3. Very good breakfast. The selection of croissants was a nice surprise.
4. Cheap laundry facilities are available across the road and few metres away from the hotel.
5. Excellent well priced food also available at the Backpackers place, just down the road. when you walk out of the hotel, turn right. its on the same side of the road as the hotel. We also booked a tuk-tuk through the backpackers place because they were much cheaper than our hotel.
The normal hotel rate is out of my normal budget, so I would probably not stay here again. But if you want to splurge - its definitely recommended!
One small negative - the rooms were a bit dusty, probably due to the ongoing renovation.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Sivam R, General Manager at King Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Dear Honorable Guest,

First of all thank you for your kind review. We are really appreciate your valuable time to tell the whole world about King Grand Boutique Hotel facillities and services. I will convey your message to all my staff. It's your words to make my staff's to give the best out of themselves. I hand picked my staffs from PSE "Pour Un Sourire d'Enfant". It is a Non-Govermental Organization Founded by Mr. Christian des Pallieres. Today PSE takes care of more than 6000 children everyday. PSE has developed several different proffesional training schemes to the world of work for the poor students.

We are committed to appoint them in our various department and give them a full support. So, all our staff's are committed to give the best to serve you. Indirectly, your stay with us are automatically a contribution to the poors. Once again thank you for your stay with us.

Should you come back to Cambodia, please come to King Grand Boutique Hotel and get the best service again.

Yours Faithfully,
Leipzig, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

Having read a lot of raving reviews about this hotel i had some high expectations, especially after having experienced some really good hotels in Cambodia. After having stayed for only one night, i can only say that it was a huge disappointment, not only based on my expectations, but also compared to other hotels.

Maybe i just had a bad start with the hotel, but when i arrived at the reception, there was already another guest yelling at the receptionist, that he never experienced something like that before (i guess he had problem with getting into his room, because the key didn't work) and this already made me wonder a bit. When the receptionist finished off the other guest, he turned to me and checked me in. I expect a new hotel to have some teething problems, but this guy, while being very nice and friendly, made the impression as if he would be there for the first day and sometimes he even looked a bit confused from my point of view.

Well, this was what i call "cambodian service", friendly but not too professional and this was somehow expected. But it is not really a highlight for a hotel which tries to act like a 5 star hotel and then only delivers some half baked services to the customer. Well, but as i said all of this was not impressive, but expected. The real shock came when i entered my room: I was offered a twin room, instead of double room with one big bed. While i didn't really specify this at the time of booking, i was under the impression that the booked "standard room" was a double room. Well, apparently it was not, so i was stuck with a single room. I immediately told the receptionist that this was not what i expected and asked him for a room change. Well, of course this wasn't possible, as all double rooms were fully booked.

What really shocked me was the attitude from the receptionist regarding my problem: He repeatedly proposed that i (!) could just put the the two beds together, with a bit of shoving and redecorating. Well, after i told him that i don't think that i want to to do that on my own, he even offered me some help in doing this. Again i insisted that someone else should do this and just then he realized that he maybe should send some people to do the redecoration work for me. Well, the people showed up real soon, but were not able to rectify the problem, as there was still a big gap between the two beds, when they were put together and it also looked very awkward, as it was not coherent with the room design anymore. I honestly expected some better work, with a new bed brought in or some strapping of the two mattresses with a new cover, but nothing like this happened, just some dirty fix, which in the end i acknowledge. I just asked them to put it back in the original position, as this was really better.

Well, apart from that, the rooms are not to bad, with a nice view over Phnom Penh, but on the other hand they are not too big, either. They tried to give them a stylish, but yet cambodian design, but somehow it all doesn't look really exclusive, but just standard. I stayed in a lot of nicely furnished hotels in Asia, but this one was just standard and nothing to write home about. Same for the bathroom, which was okay, but nothing out the ordinary. The only thing which was really worth mentioning was the door lock, which was really sophisticated and something for tech freaks.
I was also surprised that, giving the really new age of the hotel, the rooms already looked slightly (ab)used. You could also spot some areas of insufficient cleaning here and there. Maybe its time for a retrain of the cleaning staff ?

On the positive side the hotel provided some slippers, bathrobes, a good working aircon (it was really freezing cold in the morning) and some decent breakfast (order by menu) with some really good coffee. However, i was surprised that they were out of orange juice when i requested it for my breakfast and it really wasn't to late in the morning, but they already ran out of it.

The bar on the top of the hotel, which also has an attached plunge pool (really only for a dip in, not for swim), was really nicely located with a real great view.

Well, i guess i mentioned all things to i found positive or negative about this hotel but one thing: The breakable things list ! YES ! They provide you a list with all things in your room (try to located em all !) and their cost in the event that you may break them. This ranges from the TV to some really stupid little things, which only cost a few dollars, but which they will surely make you accountable for if you loose them or break them. This is really ridiculous and i strongly advise not to stay in a hotel which gives you such a list in you hotel room. It somehow gives you the feeling that the hotel doesn't trust you and somehow it also doesn't enriches my trust in the hotel on the other hand.

A few last words about the staff: I already mentioned it in the beginning. The staff ranges from very friendly, but somehow totally lost (when i left the hotel one really charming lady wanted to open the door for me but forgot if she needs to pull or push to the from inside and had to be told by a colleague) over professional but very distant and not to smiley (restaurant manager) to even being a bit impertinent (at least perceived).

All in all they try to market this hotel as an upmarket boutique choice. Well, i don't think its upmarket, not overly boutique and not very special. It's just a hotel amongst many, grossly overpriced for the delivered services if you look at the proposed rack rate (i had a good bargain, so it was okay) and for my liking even a bit to far out from everything (its a good 10 to 15 minutes walk to the interesting part of the riverfront). If they get rid of breakable things list and really try to get their staff up to par (being friendly is one thing, knowing how things work is even better) they might be a solid choice, as the rooms are okay for my liking. But if something like what i described above keeps on happening, i cannot recommend this property to anyone.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank 3d-razor
Sivam R, General Manager at King Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2012
Respectfully Guest,

Thank you very much for your honest review. Your review made such a big impact for all of us here to reshuffle the whole management and our system. But before that i would like to ask forgiveness from your kind heart for the inconvenience you experienced while your stay in our hotel.
1. After a thorough investigation, i found out that the guest you mentioned not yelling at my reception, but there was a language barrier between them so, the situation gone confused. as guest couldn't speak English.
2. As you know well about "Cambodian Service". They are still a 3rd World country and still have a long way to go to improve themselves after the big disaster from 1975 - 1979. I pledge myself to be here to lead them on the right track to meet the international standard. I am doing my level best to change everything here.
3. The standard room you mentioned, should be a double or big bed with queen size bed. I am taking full responsible for what have happened and apologize to you and the confusion of re arranging the twin beds.
4. Yes you are absolutely true that our security system is the best in Cambodia and all the guest from around the world appraised the system.
5. We already openned our new connecting hotel next door with beautiful landscape and water fountain at the pool. I am sure you going to love it.
6. Our ammenities in the rooms are the best quality especially choosed for our valued guests. I appreciate your comment on our coffee. We serve the best bean and good quality machines to grind it and fresh.
7. We have a policy where we only serve freshly squeezed juices to our guest. I think the guests must have consumed orange juices than our expectation. But we still available other fresh juices. Next time you come please try our fresh passion fruit juice.
8. Yes it's a world wide hotel policy to mention the price of equipments and appliances in the rooms. We always check the rooms before guests check in and after check out. I think this is a good practice for both parties.
9. As you know we are at a prime location not even 500 meters from ROYAL PALACE, RIVER SIDE, DIAMOND ISLAND AND MANY MORE OTHER ATTRACTIONS.

As King Grand Boutique Hotel General Manager, i take your review in a serious consideration and will make it right before your next arrival. Should you come back to Cambodia again please contact me directly and be my Royal Guest.

Yours Faithfully
tel:+855978180482
Devon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2011

This is a lovely small boutique hotel with lots of good features.
The room was well equipped with TV, air con, DVD player, tea & coffee making facilities, a great shower and a really comfortable bed. We were on the 5th floor and had a great view of the city from the balcony. The security was superb with an in room safe and the most sophisticated door locking system we have come across, the lifts also needed key cards to prevent unauthorised visitors.
The whole place was quite new and had a real quality feel about it.
It was in a fairly good location for exploring the city although a bit of a walk from the main riverside area. We were however slightly disappointed by the tiny rooftop pool which can only be described as a cold plungepool. The other main let down was the fact we had to ask twice to have the room made up after going out for the day and finding the room as we left it with no toilet paper, clean towels etc which you don't expect from a hotel of this type and price.
Saying that it was a nice clean, comfortable and safe hotel but there are other nearby hotels offering similar for less money.

1 Thank steveissy
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your heartiest review about our property. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I could understand your disappoinment regarding our cool roof top pool water. For your information Cambodia will have a slight climate change from November to February (Winter). As you know our roof top will always have windy and thats one of the reason the roof top pool water became cold. We do have enough house keeping staff and they follow timetable to make up rooms properly. By the time you came back they still make up other rooms. But i am sorry for the inconvenient caused. Should you visit Cambodia please come and stay with us and enjoy our new hotel with THE MOST BEAUTIFUL LANDSCAPE FOUNTAIN SWIMMING POOL. Once again thak you for staying with us.

Yours Respectfully
tel: +855978180482
wolverhampton, uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2011

We stayed one night at the King Grand in November this year, picking it on the basis of its excellent location. From the welcoming fruit juices as we arrived until the moment we left we were made to feel very welcome. The rooftop terrace bar is wonderful, with good views over the river, the royal palace and the park. If we're ever in Phnom Penh again I would certainly head straight for the King Grand. Thank you...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Sivam R, General Manager at King Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2011
Warmest Greetings From King Grand Boutique Hotel.

Thank you very much for let the whole world know about us. Your honest words makes many staff's life changed here. It's an HONOUR to have you stay with us and we are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay. Yes, i am proud to say that we are located at a prime area of Phnom Penh City. I definitely can prove that no other hotel in Phnom Penh have such a wonderful view as at King Grand Boutique Hotel. Please check the photos and be a witness of the magnificent view. Come back and visit us if have the opportunity and receive the Cambodian Hospitality with International Standard. Once again thank you from bottom of my heart. GOD BLESS YOU

Yours Respectfully
Tring
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

We (Mrs Tringfellow and I) stayed here for three nights last week and I can only echo the other recent reviews - staff very helpful, good breakfast, clean and well-equipped rooms, beautifully situated for Grand Palace, riverside, good restaurants and boutique-type shops. The general manager, Sivam, introduced himself, and is clearly a very hands-on boss, keen to make things right. Small terrace bar (with spa pool!) on the top floor is a delight. I highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: The higher up the better, I would think - we were on the third floor