“Nice Boutique Hotel”
Review of Le Safran La Suite

Le Safran La Suite
Ranked #51 of 277 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Enjoyed staying here. It is well located close to the Independence Monument and the city center. What really makes this place special is the staff. They were so friendly and accomodating. From the time our taxi pulled up, they were taking our luggae out and to the room. Check-in was quick. We had booked on-line. There are only stairs, which was not a problem for us but may be a problem for someone with disabilities.
Rooms are minimalist design as previously pointed out. Platform beds are very firm.I liked that there were many outlets in the room. In today's electronic world seems u always have to be charging something. Bathrooms were large. Had a balcony which was large and nice to relax on after a busy day. I thought it was a great deal for the price of $55 for deluxe rm.
Had a restaurant attached and breakfast was included. Choices are minimal: noodle soup, bread, omlette, coffee, juice. Thought it was very good for a starter. Also had dinner there twice. Food was decent. I thought it might better since the hotel was opened by a chef. Having said that we enjoyed it.
Nice pool with area to relax around it.
Once again, its the wonderful staff that made it go. Whether serving dinner, making reservations, planning trips they were so friendly and eager to help. Kudos and much thanks to all of them.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed December 30, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for two nights (Dec 26 - 28). The hotel was almost fully booked when we made our reservations and had to go with the Suite room. The hotel itself had a modern and relaxing feel to it. A small pool to lounge around and relax or cool off from a hot day of sightseeing. There was a small hotel restaurant which was good for getting a snack between meals and breakfast. The food was French style and average. I would not plan on having a dinner here but in between meal snack is OK.

The Suite room was very large with a modern minimalist design. There was an outside area you can sit and eat or drink, relax in the mornings drinking coffee. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was big but average. There was no phone in the room, thus you had to go down to the reception desk anytime you needed anything. Also no TV in the bedroom but there was a large TV in the living room. The price for the room is too high for what it is.

The best thing about the hotel was the service. They arranged anything and everything you needed. From going to exchange money for you, bus tickets with hotel pickup, and visas. The only bad thing I can say about the service is we had to carry our own luggage up stairs to our room. However, I did see them carry other guests luggage so maybe they were just short handed when we arrived.

Over all a nice small boutique hotel that is clean and modern with good service.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Suite. I believe there is only one Suite room here. The room is large and could sle...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisEFL
Reviewed December 25, 2011

A new and stylish place to stay. A nice pool,good restaurant and helpful staff. My children loved the breakfast. Plenty to see and do close by.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 23, 2011

I have no doubt that this is a nice hotel, in fact it was personally recommended to me. However, for 45USD we were given what can only be described as cell-like basement quarters which freaked us out so much that we had to leave for another hotel shortly after (this hotel was full that night). No natural light entered the room, the patio doors looked out onto a high wall with barbed wire on the top. A patio table and chairs were incongrously wedged into this dark space between the windows and the wall. The minimalistic decor was horrendous in this dark dank space. Maybe I expect too much, but for me, it seemed crazy to charge this amount for this room. By all means, stay at this hotel, but avoid the basement rooms at all costs. The staff seemed nice, and the pool and restuarant areas appeared lovely.

Room Tip: Avoid the basement.
Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank 81Ruth81
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I stayed at this property during a four day trip to Cambodia based on the reviews at Tripadvisor. The hotel is located on a quite street that is close to other restaurants. It felt like a refuge from all the hustle and bustle of Phnom Penh. The property itself is really nice and feels like a home away from home. It has a very intimate personalized feel to it. Great pool. Really nice restaurant. I stayed in two different rooms. On my first night I stayed in the standard room ($38) and upgrade to the Delux room ($55) for the remaining 2 nights. I think these prices are a bargain for what you receive. Both rooms were relatively nice. They had more of a minimalist feel to them. The staff was extremely helpful and courteous. Son (one of the front desk staff) was really responsive in terms of his attention to needs of the guests. I would recommend this hotel and I plan to stay here again during future travel to Cambodia.

Room Tip: Pick the Delux or La Suite room if it is in your budget. They are much bigger. You will have a balco...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Jahmekyah
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Stayed in this hotel for 1 night having booked direct with the hotel. Our room was a superior double at $45 a night. The front of the hotel is nice and looks very pretty. As does the interior.

Our room was adequately sized, the bathroom had a separate shower area and a huge showerhead. The furniture is minimal, but I think this works well.

We had a balcony which we could have sat on, it was side facing so no view but liked the outdoors areas of the hotel enough that we had plenty of other spaces to sit and have a drink if we wished. We didn't use the pool, although it did look great.

Breakfast was lovely. We were on an early morning bus to Siem Reap but the receptionist very kindly arranged for us to have an early breakfast. We both had bread and jam, it was by far the nicest bread we had anywhere in Cambodia or Vietnam. There was only a small selection of choices but they all looked lovely.

The hotel and our room were both very well cleaned and maintained.

The hotel staff were charming and helpful. The receptionist organised our bus to Siem Reap and suggested a company, Sokha Komar Tep Express that I had not heard of, however they were fine and cheaper than Mekong Express.

The hotel is located on a lovely quite street very close to Street 278 which has some great restaurants and bars on.

There is some noise in the hotel at night, but most of this seems to come from other guests stomping up and down the stairs. We were on the 2nd floor and the stairs were quite thin which might be an issue if you had mobility problems.

Overall found this to be a very pretty hotel and great value for money. We tried to stay here again on our way back from Siem Reap but unfortunately the hotel was full.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Emily0002
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Let me start off by saying that we never stayed here- we never got a chance to.

My fiance and I booked this hotel based on the reviews here at TA. We thought it would be a great place to stay the 2 nights we were in Phnom Penh. I contacted them several times prior to our arrival, including the day before, when we were in Siem Reap, to confirm our reservation, which they did. So far, so good...

The day we were suppose to arrive in Phnom Penh to stay at the hotel, they send us an email stating that they no longer had a room for us, but instead we would spend the night at another hotel (name undisclosed) and then spend our second night at their hotel. This is the LAST thing any traveler wants to hear. Especially since we were travelling by night bus to Phnom Penh and would be arriving at 2AM in the morning and had already cleared the situation with them.

First of all, we had confirmed our reservation the day prior and there was no issue! Second, we don't want to stay at a random hotel, we booked our 2 nights with this hotel. We don't know the reputation of this other hotel they were sending us to at 2AM. It was completely unacceptable.

We instead, at 4PM the night we were to depart to Phnom Penh, had to scramble to find a hotel that had availability for that night and the next. So much for a relaxing afternoon in Siem Reap.

While they attempted to make right their error (free night at this unnamed hotel, free tuk tuk from our bus stop and to their hotel for the next night), we were already soured with the situation and cancelled our stay.

I wouldn't have taken the time to write this if it didn't upset me enough to illicit a response. Because of their mistake/error, we spent our last 3 hours in Siem Reap in a rush instead of relaxing.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple