“Clean and enjoyable, but overpriced”

Linna Culinary School
Ranked #6 of 12 Food & Drink in Phnom Penh
More attraction details
Owner description: LINNA CULINARY SCHOOL is a new culinary school that opened in June, 2010. Our school is near the Phnom Penh university.Vong Linna is the principal author of two recipe books written in Khmer language.In our school, Western cuisine and Khmer, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Thailand, Vietnamese food, with the training of Cambodian students.Our school has been training Khmer traditional food to foreigners. I hope everyone is inspired and become familiar with Khmer food.
New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Clean and enjoyable, but overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

We paid for 3 people to cook and 4 people to eat. It cost $20 dollars just for an extra person to watch and eat. Overall the facility was very clean and nice. Also the trip to the market with Linna was enjoyable, interesting, but hot. Unfortunately the recipes for the day were not to our liking (Beef Lok Lak). We made way too much food and could not bring any home as we had no place to store it. Recommend going on a very empty stomach. Overall this was a good experience but I think relatively overpriced for Cambodia.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank cattyrine

Hong Kong, China
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Clean & Tidy, lovely cooking class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

In September last year, I followed my husband came to Phnom Penh for business trip.Before departure, I'd have reservations courses in Hong Kong, even my registration date is not a off day, but they still open the course for me. At the Day, I went out from the hotel to the school, after met up Linna who the school cooking teacher , she took me to the nearby wet markets walking and introduce local food and snacks.After that, we return to school to cooking two dishes in a clean kitchen, from wash food, cut food and making sauces, all make from fresh food by yourself, it is not pre-packaged food. During cooking can be asked Linna about cooking, such as spices match.After the two dishes, they prepared a surprise to me ---- it is another cooking dish in rooftop.
If you're like me, need to follow husband to business trip here, I believe there will be to make you comfortable morning.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank JaniceMok
Medfield, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Unique market experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Had a wonderful morning at Linna's culinary school. The highlight was the trip to the market to get the food for the meal. The market was packed with sellers from the countryside and their wares - delicious fruit, fish still squirming, chickens awaiting their final demise! After we returned to a yummy appetizer and then we were set to work in her state of the art kitchen. Very complex ingredients and I doubt I'll be making the pumpkin soup anytime soon. We had to grind all the dry ingredients down first - very thirsty work. It was very tasty. The beef lok lak was a bit chewy and it was too hot to really enjoy the meal. Linna has cook books and an array of businesses. If you want to do something different - check it out.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank Kenneth B
Hong Kong
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“a nice morning”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Lovely clean and spacious kitchens, and Linna was a lovely lady and a good teacher.
I felt for the price it was a little expensive as we only taught and cooked 2 dishes.(but both very tasty, and easy to follow instructions)
I went to a cooking School in Cheng Mai, Thailand and paid a little bit more but leant to cook 5 dishes and was given a cook book of all the recipes that they do on their 5 day course- At Linna'a we just got an A4 piece of paper with the 2 recipes we cooked on the day which was a little bit disappointing.

But had a lovely fun morning and met some nice people.
We ate our meals on the covered roof which was amazing.

Visited February 2013
Sydney
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great way to learn new skills”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

My 2 teenage daughters & I spent a morning in a cooking course in Phnom Penh with the Linna Culinary School. This is a fairly new (2010) cooking school that is a great way to learn some traditional Cambodian recipes in a clean, well equipped custom made kitchen set up. It included a tuk-tuk ride to visit a small local market where some of the fresh ingredients for the recipes were bought & we were able to try some Cambodian snacks.
Linna shows you how to make each dish initially, then you go up to the covered roof/balcony and we then prepared our appetiser-fresh “spring rolls” that we ate while the benches were being set up for us.
We then used our printed recipes to make 2 dishes in pairs. There are different recipes prepared on different days. We made Green Mango Chicken Salad and Pineapple Curry Soup (served in a half pineapple shell). All the ingredients were laid out for ease of use and help was available by Linna or her assistants if you got into trouble.
After finishing the cooking we once again went up onto the roof where tables were set up for us to enjoy the “fruits of our labour”. We ended the delicious meal, which amazingly looked & tasted like Linna’s sample one, with fresh fruit. We went home with a copy of the recipes so we can recreate the dishes at home. The recipes made so much that we were able to take the remainder back with us & my husband who didn’t join the class ate it for breakfast the next day reheated at our hotel !
This is a great half day activity for men/women & older children alike, whether you usually cook or not-learn something new. It is professionally run in a lovely clean, well set out environment. I wish we had more time to do another day & learn several more recipes.

Visited December 2012