“Friendly staff and cheap!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mad Monkey Hostel Phnom Penh

Mad Monkey Hostel Phnom Penh
Melbourne, Australia
“Friendly staff and cheap!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

We stayed for 3 nights at this place. The staff are very friendly (at times over-friendly!) and helpful.
We payed US$7 for a double private room, so it is very cheap but the room was very comfortable. The bathrooms are shared and the shower is just a shower head on the toilet wall, so if your'e picky about your bathrooms then this isn't the place for you!
It had a very good common room/restaurant area down stairs to meet other travellers with very cheap drinks as well! Upstairs there is an old bar, another relaxing place to chill out and meet others.
They have organised tuk-tuk drivers outside the hostel, and you can organise to get into town for us$1 each (make sure you don't get ripped off!) or $6 to the airport (takes about 45 minutes).

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Adam293925, Manager at Mad Monkey Hostel Phnom Penh, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Hello my lovely thanks for your awesome review - we are pleased you enjoyed your time here at The Mad Monkey - With love from Cambodia please enjoy your travels. !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

the hostel is fairly well managed and in a residential area just a few streets away from the main action of BKK1. the rooms were extremely value for money. the staff were friendly and tried their best to help us with whatever we needed. our room was on the highest floor so walking up was a bit of a chore but the room was clean and air con-ed =) the bar on the third level is a great place to hang out and has a tv with an extensive list of channels.

our only gripe was with the high price that they charge for tuktuks and food. for a trip to the killing fields, s21 and then the russian market, the price quoted was either 20 or 25usd. we got a tuktuk on one of the street corners for 14usd and he drove us around the whole day. that said, i guess you are guaranteed some quality if you go with the mad monkey's tuktuks.

food in the restaurant is expensive, just like most of the other restaurants in the BKK1 area but again you're paying for comfort and quality. we got our best meals (in terms of price and quality) from the russian market, so head there if you're looking to eat khmer food. just remember to bargain!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank whoooosh
Thank you my lovely for your lovely review - You are right our food is not the cheapest that you will find but at the same time it wont make you ill and its prepared to western standard, for people from England, Europe and Australia etc its still cheap. The Tuk Tuks are 100% independent - we dont own them or run them - always best to barter for your Tuk Tuk like everywhere in Asia. All that being said we loved having you here and loved your company - please come back soon and enjoy your travels!
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

I can not thank the team at Mad Monkey enough. Always helpful, always friendly.
They were great when I lost all my credit cards and, (after I had fixed that problem) when I was leaving they even took me to a local market and helped me negotiate for the extra luggage I needed for all the extra stuff I had accumulated during my stay (I was there for four weeks). No complaints about anything during that time.

The food was great quality with good variety in the menu. Lots of people around and a great buzz.

Perhaps I should have looked around for something cheaper (never did get around to doing a price comparison) but I was too comfortable and liked the staff and owners who made me feel at home.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Ah you so nice and lovely ! We miss you and your smiley face! Come back soon to say hello to us! Love you!
mancunia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2011

a fantastic modern hostel at a very good price. rooms and the common area very clean and beds are comfortable.
the common room is excellent and has tables for those wishing to do some work / blogging etc.
the food is great, there's lots of activities going on and the hostel have a long list of tours and activities that they can book for you. nothing is too much trouble for these guys!
tom, alex, steve and the team are great and really helpful too...a definate 'book!!'
thanks guys! :)

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Always awesome to have reviews from our lovely customers - so nice your vibes and good energy in our place - We love you!
Scarborough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2011

We booked to stay here for 3 nights but ended up staying for 4 as we loved it!
We had a double private room which was spacious and clean with a comfy bed & good pillows!!
I know a few people have commented about the price of food & drinks but the food is yummy and worth what you pay, there are other bars etc that are in walking distance and the riverside is only $2-3 in a tuk tuk or a 20min walk.
All the staff were great and able to help out with any questions we had re:Cambodia.
We would def recommend staying here, can't think of a reason not to!!

This isn't a criticism of the mad monkey but don't know where else to write it, we took the VIP bus to siem reap and had what can only be described as a journey from hell (and we have done some journeys!) the bus driver drove in a wreck-less way the whole journey and drove up to 145kmph and when asked to slow down he sped up!! The whole journey was an accident waiting to happen (and they do happen!) and I would recommend looking at other options even if it takes longer to get there!!

• Stayed November 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Adam293925, Manager at Mad Monkey Hostel Phnom Penh, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
Hello my lovely - Many thank you for your awesome review ! We miss you so come back soon and say hello to us! I told my Bosses about the problem with the VIP Bus - There are two bus company Gold VIP and Apsara - You went on Gold VIP but we have customer complains about Apsara also.

My boss very angry that the bus drive so fast - he call the owner from the bus company and today he will meet him and stop to use this bus company - he also secret will check the bus himself next week - but for now we stop to use it. Thank you for let us know - My boss will now go crazy mental and fix this problem for you!

Thank you for staying with our super team at The Mad Monkey - We love you come back soon! xx
Surat Thani, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2011

I stayed at the Mad Monkey in Phnom Penh about a month ago. It was the best hostel/guest house that I stayed in on my whole trip. Its western owned and the guys really know what they're doing. The Cambodian staff was great too. The food was good, the place was clean, and the staff was helpful and nice. There is also a nice rooftop bar. Plus, you get a free beer with check-in! I even mentioned it in my blog entries about Cambodia... http://blakesworld211.blogspot.com/. The only thing that would make it better is if there were a few computers with internet to use in the lobby. Other than that, it was great and I recommend it to anyone heading to Phnom Penh!

Room Tip: The dorm rooms are about $5 per night. There's plenty of bunks, fans, and a shared bathroom. I...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Adam293925, Manager at Mad Monkey Hostel Phnom Penh, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Hello Mr Lovely! Thank you for your nice review ! Prices go up for dorm now because we have nice AC and hot water showers for customers but only $7 for one night. We are so pleased you love staying here! We will buy 2 desktop computers in January - We are waiting for Santa to bring them but there is always a laptop you can use in the office - just ask our team! Thank you and enjoy your travels! We love you! The Mad Monkey Team
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2011

When I arrived early in the morning, I was greeted by a friendly girl at the bar. Since my room is not yet available until the afternoon, I decided to take a whole day city tour. That same girl helped me in my tour (which sites should I visit, come first-last, where to eat and how much more or less should I spend for each site). She got me a tuktuk to drive me around the whole day! In that same morning before I left for my city tour, she even booked me a bus to Siem Reap! I never really expected that all these services are INSTANTLY available at Mad Monkey!

The room where I stayed in is clean and spacious enough for 8 people. The bathroom looks new and well maintained. The stairs though are quite steep and it gets a bit confusing to locate your room specially during your first day. I think additional signages around will do the trick!

I had my dinner and breakfast at Mad Monkey and it exceeded my expectations. Although I should say it is not the cheapest meal you can get in Phnom Penh but the taste justifies the cost! I wonder if they source their ingredients even outside Cambodia.

I was really impressed about the service and the training that the managers provide their staff. Mad Monkey is one of the few hostels I've stayed in Asia wherein the local staff can speak good English AND STAY at the conversation for a long time!

Believe me! I stayed here for just 1 day and 1 night but I felt that I was there for a week!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for you review my lovely! We love to help our customers get the most out of Phnom Penh and create nice vibes for our customers to enjoy! We are pleased you loved our scrummy food and really enjoyed your stay with us!

Now we have addressed all of the previous issues posted by our customers and I think we are the only hostel in Phnom Penh to now have AC in every dorm, hot water in every dorm, big massive beds, we now have security lockers in each of the dorms as well !

Thanks for your stay with us Monkeys! We love you come back soon!