“Loved it!”

Ranked #81 of 267 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Loved it!”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We had high expectations from this hotel going by the reviews and it easily met/exceeded our expectations

Positives
- Nice location. Walking distance to the Palace, River Front and the National Museum
- Big spacious rooms. Rooms and entire property is very very nicely done up. Huge bath tub in a big bathroom!
- Great staff. Everyone was always smiling and welcoming. We reached much ahead of the check-in time but were given a room without an issue.
- Nice Breakfast and a very cozy restaurant. We used room service as well which was very prompt and nice

Negatives

Actually its very difficult to find faults with this property. I have still tried!
-They do not have a lift, so if you are on third floor(like we were) and do not like climbing stairs, it could be an issue. Although we did not mind it, even though we were with our 8 months old daughter.
-Its a smallish property. Although rooms are big but otherwise property is smallish

Verdict
GO FOR IT!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank himanshu08

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed November 27, 2012

The Frangipani Fine Arts Hotel is in walking distance to the kings’ palace and the river side district with many art galleries, restaurants and bars. The hotel is difficult to find as it is situated in a alley.
The hotel is built by connecting three houses linked with stairs. I got a room on the third floor. The rooms in the upper floors are difficult to reach. The hotel is unsuitable for physically challenged people. There is no lift.
My room on the top floor was very hot. It was clean but already coming into years. The bath room is separated from the living quarter by a curtain. Very unpractical is to place the toilet paper in a basket and not on a holder in reachable distance. The aircon is too weak; as there is no door between the room and the bathroom, the whole surface has to be cooled. There is no cupboard or shelves. I lived literally out of my suitcase during my 4 days of stay. Wi-Fi connection is free but breaks down every few minutes. In the room are placed a flat screen TV with some English language programs, a safe, a fridge and a tea kettle.
The view from the room on iron bars and barbed wire reminded me more on the S21 camp than on a Fine Arts Villa. I preferred to keep the curtains shut. Breakfast is served in the garden. Guests are asked to fill an order form. The choice is limited to 4 sorts of egg, 4 different fruits and 4 breads incl. Toast and croissants. The ham and bacon is of mediocre quality coming from a tin and has a sugary taste. The coffee was brewes freshly with an espresso machine. Plan 30-45 minutes for breakfast, as the service is extremly slow.
My recommendation for a stay is with certain restrictions; but for the price of USD 50.-, I could not expect to find Haven on Earth.

Room Tip: Far away from the stairs and on lower floors
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Dear All

I was staying - with my friend - twice at the Frangipani in Phnom Phen. The hotel is a "bijoux" and absolutely great located. We had a wonderful time there. Breakfast is a delight. But the best thing is the Staff: The reception, the cleaners, the waiters and Mr. Kemara (the best driver in Sout East Asia - ask for him, when you have plans) are super.

Thanks, it was great, daniel

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore
Reviewed November 21, 2012

My flight arrived early in Phnom Penh and the hotel was full so there was no way i could check in early.

The staff went all the way out to extend their warm welcome and eagerly and ready to pleased you anytime.

The room is big and clean. They upgraded me to suite room that comes with a balcony. I love the bathtub, huge bathtub.

The Museum is just stone throw away and the palace just short walking distance.

Overall, I am happy with this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Zermatt, Switzerland
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My feelings about the Frangipani Fine Arts Hotel are very mixed. Who ever planed the place did a nice job, but the running of it is a different matter. For the rates they are asking I would expect some more professionalism. Towels and bed sheets without stains would have been nice, and leaving the dirty dishes from last nights room service behind after making up the room is really odd. Also the air-condition wasn't up to the challenge really, but I thought like this I get used to the outside heat better. On check out the credit card machine did not work - that can happen, and I was lucky I had enough cash on me but the bus was waiting, so I don't know what would have happened otherwise. So what did I like about the place, well first and foremost its location. For tourist activities it could not be better, and I admire what they have done with the limited space and materials at hand.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Anvigo
Woodstock, Vermont
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This hotel was one of the best accommodations we have experienced during a four month long trip thru Europe, Eastern Europe, and Southeast Asia.

Located a few blocks from the riverfront and the Palace, its entrance is down an down an 8 foot wide alley, off a main street. This gives the building privacy from the street.

When booking our room online, we specifically requested a top floor, in a quiet section of the hotel away from the stairs. We also asked that the room be non-smoking and that there not be any musty or perfumed odors. We were delighted to find that the staff had fully honored each of our requests. During our stay, all staff were welcoming, pleasant and helpful.

We booked a double suite room, thinking it would offer the space needed for us to handle some business details while there. We had enough room to spread out our gear, relax, read, and work independently on our computers. We could move around and not be in each other’s way. The room was extremely clean and very quiet.

The construction is poured concrete on the floor and walls with a portion of the walls being floor-to-ceiling brick accent which we found to be quite attractive. An unusually nice bathroom had a concrete tub/shower combination. There was ample hot water. Everything about our room was comfortable.

The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast with Asian and American choices and everything we ate was quite good.

Room Tip: We requested and received a top floor away from any noise. We paid extra for a suite and were not so...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed September 30, 2012

After stayed 2 nights still miss this hotel and will go back to stay again, all staff are fiendly and helpful even security at the entrance. The room is very nice, large and make me oversleep all night. Wifi connection was well working and do my work even on holiday. Hotel located at a great place easy to go all attraction places in Phnom Penh, Royal Palace, River...I would like to recommand this hotel if you go Phnom Penh.

Room Tip: Junior Suite room is a good choice.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo