“Great stay at the Eigthy8”

Eighty8 Backpackers
Reykjavik, Iceland
“Great stay at the Eigthy8”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

We spent two nights at the hostel, and we really loved it. The rooms are clean, big and the beds are comfortable and large. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Definitely one of the best hostels we have stayed in, in our 6 weeks trip around SA- Asia! The restaurant is yammi, but could though be a little bit less expensive. The only thing that bothered us was that it cold be in a better location. But still, it costs only 1-2 $ travelling with a tuk tuk to the down town, so that's no problem at all. Would absolutely recommend it! :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Hebrew first
Guelph, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Really enjoyed staying at Eight 8 Backpackers. This place is SPOTLESS and modern! Rooms are cleaned everyday which is really nice. The restaurant / bar area is awesome with lots of options for hanging out. The staff are super friendly and helpful. In fact, I was feeling really sick one day and one of the staff made me a special mint tea to make me feel better. I would stay again, and actually I am in a couple days.
My only complaint was that it was about a half hour walk to the center of town. You're close to the Central Market, but if I was a female traveling solo I wouldn't want to walk back at night which means tuk tuk or moto rides. This can't be changed but just an FYI.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank worldtravelingcanuck
shawbaws, Owner at Eighty8 Backpackers, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thanks for the great feedback.

Your one issue: geographical location! Phnom Penh has never had any kind of city planning, so there is subsequently no natural centre.

Eighty8 is 2 minutes walk from Wat Phnom, the temple that the city derived its name from. We are a further 2 mins from the river front, and the social scene that happens there.

One final point: I have lived in Phnom Penh for 5 years, and i would recommend that you never walk after dark in this city, there are no police and no help if things go wrong. I have scars to prove to the dangers of Phnom Penh after dark!!!
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Great place to stay. Very clean and spacious. While not in the very centre of town was an easy walk to most major areas. Great pool area with hammocks to relax and a good bar with lots of cocktails and a pool table. Very helpful staff.

1 Thank Sarah B
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Spotlessly cleaned rooms. The owner, Simon went out of his way to be helpful. His staff stored my luggage while I took a side trip to Siem Reap. They were very friendly and they all speak English. The tours they offered were better and cheaper than anything I had tried to arrange myself. I was traveling with my 11 year old son in January 2013 and we both really enjoyed our stay in Eighty8 Hostels very much.

Room Tip: We stayed in a private room. It cost $4 more for the room with the patio which we never used so whe...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Amy6172293
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

There is just something simply not spot on with the eighty8. Never have I been to a hostel that has so much potential but does not come anywhere close to fulfilling it. I feel it does not quite know what it is as a hostel. Good bar, would like to say good pool but it was out of service for our stay, very good service minded staff. Just not quite the finished article in my eyes.

• Stayed January 2013
shawbaws, Owner at Eighty8 Backpackers, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thanks for the feedback Brad.

Not the finished article???

Not sure if we know we are a hostel???

We have a roof, all day bar, all do food, free wifi, free swimming pool, bedbug free beds, hot showers, A/C, lockers big enough to sleep in, regular events and parties, staff and customers who love to party and work, who love to socialise and meet new people.

We have been open for nearly 2 years, we are pretty certain that we know and love being a hostel!

Sorry we did not meet your expectations.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed in this hostel for 3 nights and have not got a single negative conment to say!
My first day I had orginally booked into another hostel closer to the Riverfront but upon arriving in Phnom Penh i decided to give that a miss and check out Eighty8. Some friends had recommended it and I now know why! I was put in a requested all girls dorm on a top bunk & when I went back down to reception to ask to be put on a bottom bunk, the guys joked around with me and actioned my request without hesitation. A small request/resolution, I know, but the interaction left a lasting impression. I met so many people in my 3 days just from that hostel alone, plus the staff at the bar and reception were so friendly.
Cleanliness-wise - its a hostel -
Don't expect 5 star quality but out of all the hostels I've stayed at, this is honestly one of the best :) Highly recommended! Cheers guys!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

I cannot even begin to describe my love for this hostel! I have never stayed anywhere where I felt so safe and looked after and I have backpacked across many countries. The staff are absolutely wonderful and helped my friend and I so incredibly much as we had a rough time due to valuables being stolen and ending up in a bad money situation. The hostel itself has a really friendly vibe and a beautiful set up; seemed more like a hotel with a great pool. The food there is nice too, with generous portions. The rooms have large lockers and the beds are large enough for two people. Bathrooms are nice too- with a proper shower and hot water- the first I had seen staying in hostels across Cambodia. I thank the hostel staff for being so kind, understanding and helpful when we needed it the most. I wouldn't stay elsewhere if I was to return to the city. I recommend this hostel to everyone. It is by far a favourite of mine. Thank you so so much.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
shawbaws, Owner at Eighty8 Backpackers, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thanks for the great feedback :-) U had a rough couple of days, we are more than happy to help any customers with any issues.

Safe travels and be safe