“Great place”

and 1 more site!
Eighty8 Backpackers
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Great place to stay. Very clean and spacious. While not in the very centre of town was an easy walk to most major areas. Great pool area with hammocks to relax and a good bar with lots of cocktails and a pool table. Very helpful staff.

1  Thank Sarah B

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Spotlessly cleaned rooms. The owner, Simon went out of his way to be helpful. His staff stored my luggage while I took a side trip to Siem Reap. They were very friendly and they all speak English. The tours they offered were better and cheaper than anything I had tried to arrange myself. I was traveling with my 11 year old son in January 2013 and we both really enjoyed our stay in Eighty8 Hostels very much.

Room Tip: We stayed in a private room. It cost $4 more for the room with the patio which we never used so whe...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Amy6172293
Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

There is just something simply not spot on with the eighty8. Never have I been to a hostel that has so much potential but does not come anywhere close to fulfilling it. I feel it does not quite know what it is as a hostel. Good bar, would like to say good pool but it was out of service for our stay, very good service minded staff. Just not quite the finished article in my eyes.

• Stayed: January 2013
shawbaws, Owner at Eighty8 Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Thanks for the feedback Brad.

Not the finished article???

Not sure if we know we are a hostel???

We have a roof, all day bar, all do food, free wifi, free swimming pool, bedbug free beds, hot showers, A/C, lockers big enough to sleep in, regular events and parties, staff and customers who love to party and work, who love to socialise and meet new people.

We have been open for nearly 2 years, we are pretty certain that we know and love being a hostel!

Sorry we did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed in this hostel for 3 nights and have not got a single negative conment to say!
My first day I had orginally booked into another hostel closer to the Riverfront but upon arriving in Phnom Penh i decided to give that a miss and check out Eighty8. Some friends had recommended it and I now know why! I was put in a requested all girls dorm on a top bunk & when I went back down to reception to ask to be put on a bottom bunk, the guys joked around with me and actioned my request without hesitation. A small request/resolution, I know, but the interaction left a lasting impression. I met so many people in my 3 days just from that hostel alone, plus the staff at the bar and reception were so friendly.
Cleanliness-wise - its a hostel -
Don't expect 5 star quality but out of all the hostels I've stayed at, this is honestly one of the best :) Highly recommended! Cheers guys!

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I cannot even begin to describe my love for this hostel! I have never stayed anywhere where I felt so safe and looked after and I have backpacked across many countries. The staff are absolutely wonderful and helped my friend and I so incredibly much as we had a rough time due to valuables being stolen and ending up in a bad money situation. The hostel itself has a really friendly vibe and a beautiful set up; seemed more like a hotel with a great pool. The food there is nice too, with generous portions. The rooms have large lockers and the beds are large enough for two people. Bathrooms are nice too- with a proper shower and hot water- the first I had seen staying in hostels across Cambodia. I thank the hostel staff for being so kind, understanding and helpful when we needed it the most. I wouldn't stay elsewhere if I was to return to the city. I recommend this hostel to everyone. It is by far a favourite of mine. Thank you so so much.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
shawbaws, Owner at Eighty8 Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Thanks for the great feedback :-) U had a rough couple of days, we are more than happy to help any customers with any issues.

Safe travels and be safe

Reviewed January 29, 2013

The hostel has good vibe around common area, they do some good food, a bit pricey but their brownies are amazing! Rooms are spot on, beds are massive and u have loads of room in the rooms as well. Overall good experience.

Room Tip: The girls I met had rooms above the bar they said it was very noisy until music was turned off at 12...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have been here 4 nights so far. It's very clean, the staff are quite friendly and almost everything works alright... But the flaws are a real deal breaker.

Firstly, the Internet is outright broken. I think they are using a particularly bad proxy setup, because Skype doesn't work, websites take 5 minutes to load then just time out. Facebook won't load any images unless you go through a VPN... Really amateur stuff. I've had to go down the road to a dermatology clinic just to get real Internet and plan the rest of my trip. This sucks.

Secondly, the air on in my room emits a really foul outdoor when turned on.... Something between old socks and stale flatulence. Turning it on and coming back into the room 10 minutes later is a REAL MISTAKE. We leave it off.

Lastly, if you want anything nice to eat outside the hostel, you have to pretty much walk 10-15 minutes south, though there is some very interesting street food just a minutes walk if you are game enough.

I'd rate this place 4 stars if the Internet worked, possibly 5 if the aircon did too and the location was a little nicer. But I can only go on my experience, which so far, has been on the extreme side of frustrating.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JJ-520
shawbaws, Owner at Eighty8 Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Thanks for the feedback!

Internet: we have a 4g connection, so actually have one of the fastest internet connections in Cambodia. You talk with computer jargon, so I would assume you understand that with up to 70 people staying at the guesthouse, and just a few of them using Skype, all the bandwidth has been stolen. We recommend to our guests to use the internet when not peak hours (breakfast & dinner) for essential research.

Air-con: We walk round the business regularly looking for faults and issues to correct. Why you chose to raise this issue on tripadvisor.com and not with the staff or mgt while staying here so we could fix this problem I find strange. We appreciate feedback, positive or negative on tripadvisor.com, but we much prefer, if issues arrise while you stay to let us know so we can fix, thus improving your stay, making our product better.

Eating outside the hostel: completely wrong on this comment. On our block alone, there is 1 karaoke, 3 coffee shops, at least 10 khmer restaurants($1- $3 a meal), 4 western restaurants (one of which I would rate as the best eatery in the city), 4 hairdressers, a snooker hall, a pool hall, a photography studio, 3 pharmacies, numerous shops selling water and cigarettes, launderettes, a mobile phone shop.... this list goes on and on, and all of these are less than 2 mins from the front gate of the guesthouse, which in turn is located 5 mins from Wat Phnom, and 7 mins from the riverside.

You have rated my biz only 2 out of 5, while stating that you would have given 4 or 5 out of 5 if these points had been fixed. Point 1 and point 2 we could have helped you if you had voiced your issues and point 3, was a complete lack of using your eyes and legs to see what is in the area directly near the guesthouse. We want to help and correct any faults that happen to make the stay of any customers as perfect as possible as we love this biz and are constantly working to improve.

:-)