“Great hostel - Great service with a smile!”

and 1 more site!
Eighty8 Backpackers
Sydney, Australia
“Great hostel - Great service with a smile!”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed in this hostel for 3 nights and have not got a single negative conment to say!
My first day I had orginally booked into another hostel closer to the Riverfront but upon arriving in Phnom Penh i decided to give that a miss and check out Eighty8. Some friends had recommended it and I now know why! I was put in a requested all girls dorm on a top bunk & when I went back down to reception to ask to be put on a bottom bunk, the guys joked around with me and actioned my request without hesitation. A small request/resolution, I know, but the interaction left a lasting impression. I met so many people in my 3 days just from that hostel alone, plus the staff at the bar and reception were so friendly.
Cleanliness-wise - its a hostel -
Don't expect 5 star quality but out of all the hostels I've stayed at, this is honestly one of the best :) Highly recommended! Cheers guys!

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I cannot even begin to describe my love for this hostel! I have never stayed anywhere where I felt so safe and looked after and I have backpacked across many countries. The staff are absolutely wonderful and helped my friend and I so incredibly much as we had a rough time due to valuables being stolen and ending up in a bad money situation. The hostel itself has a really friendly vibe and a beautiful set up; seemed more like a hotel with a great pool. The food there is nice too, with generous portions. The rooms have large lockers and the beds are large enough for two people. Bathrooms are nice too- with a proper shower and hot water- the first I had seen staying in hostels across Cambodia. I thank the hostel staff for being so kind, understanding and helpful when we needed it the most. I wouldn't stay elsewhere if I was to return to the city. I recommend this hostel to everyone. It is by far a favourite of mine. Thank you so so much.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
shawbaws, Owner at Eighty8 Backpackers, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thanks for the great feedback :-) U had a rough couple of days, we are more than happy to help any customers with any issues.

Safe travels and be safe
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The hostel has good vibe around common area, they do some good food, a bit pricey but their brownies are amazing! Rooms are spot on, beds are massive and u have loads of room in the rooms as well. Overall good experience.

Room Tip: The girls I met had rooms above the bar they said it was very noisy until music was turned off at 12...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have been here 4 nights so far. It's very clean, the staff are quite friendly and almost everything works alright... But the flaws are a real deal breaker.

Firstly, the Internet is outright broken. I think they are using a particularly bad proxy setup, because Skype doesn't work, websites take 5 minutes to load then just time out. Facebook won't load any images unless you go through a VPN... Really amateur stuff. I've had to go down the road to a dermatology clinic just to get real Internet and plan the rest of my trip. This sucks.

Secondly, the air on in my room emits a really foul outdoor when turned on.... Something between old socks and stale flatulence. Turning it on and coming back into the room 10 minutes later is a REAL MISTAKE. We leave it off.

Lastly, if you want anything nice to eat outside the hostel, you have to pretty much walk 10-15 minutes south, though there is some very interesting street food just a minutes walk if you are game enough.

I'd rate this place 4 stars if the Internet worked, possibly 5 if the aircon did too and the location was a little nicer. But I can only go on my experience, which so far, has been on the extreme side of frustrating.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JJ-520
shawbaws, Owner at Eighty8 Backpackers, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thanks for the feedback!

Internet: we have a 4g connection, so actually have one of the fastest internet connections in Cambodia. You talk with computer jargon, so I would assume you understand that with up to 70 people staying at the guesthouse, and just a few of them using Skype, all the bandwidth has been stolen. We recommend to our guests to use the internet when not peak hours (breakfast & dinner) for essential research.

Air-con: We walk round the business regularly looking for faults and issues to correct. Why you chose to raise this issue on tripadvisor.com and not with the staff or mgt while staying here so we could fix this problem I find strange. We appreciate feedback, positive or negative on tripadvisor.com, but we much prefer, if issues arrise while you stay to let us know so we can fix, thus improving your stay, making our product better.

Eating outside the hostel: completely wrong on this comment. On our block alone, there is 1 karaoke, 3 coffee shops, at least 10 khmer restaurants($1- $3 a meal), 4 western restaurants (one of which I would rate as the best eatery in the city), 4 hairdressers, a snooker hall, a pool hall, a photography studio, 3 pharmacies, numerous shops selling water and cigarettes, launderettes, a mobile phone shop.... this list goes on and on, and all of these are less than 2 mins from the front gate of the guesthouse, which in turn is located 5 mins from Wat Phnom, and 7 mins from the riverside.

You have rated my biz only 2 out of 5, while stating that you would have given 4 or 5 out of 5 if these points had been fixed. Point 1 and point 2 we could have helped you if you had voiced your issues and point 3, was a complete lack of using your eyes and legs to see what is in the area directly near the guesthouse. We want to help and correct any faults that happen to make the stay of any customers as perfect as possible as we love this biz and are constantly working to improve.

:-)
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I originally booked for 3 nights and ended up staying for 5 and returning after my visit to Sihanoukville. The bar and restaurant staff are incredible and a real credit to the place. Charlie always remembered what I had for breakfast. The dorm rooms are huge and very clean and the beds are sturdy. So no being woken up by someone nipping to the toilet!
The bar and social areas are great and the food is good too.
Everyone is mega friendly and I work recommend this place.

Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Friendly & helpful staff, room was clean and tidy and bar food and drinks were well priced. Only down side was slow wifi connection in main area and non existent connection in our room which isn't ideal for backpackers.

Warsaw, Warszawa, Poland
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stayed there for 3 nights. Room - just excellent, everything new, very clean.
Everyone was very helpfull, good food (little bit to expensive ;) ).
Pool - good thing but after party... needed time... like everyone there ;))

Room Tip: We've been in twin room. Was very OK!! Our roob had windows to the pool so during a night part...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends