“Fantastic Staff and Memorable One”

Macau Phnom Penh Hotel
Ranked #196 of 272 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Dear Mr. Kim
I would just like to write you a short note to thank you and your fantastic staff for making our stay at your hotel a very happy and memorable one.
You are very fortunate to have such a fine team working for you. Your staff, and we would like to mention a few, Ming from the night restaurant, the morning restaurant staff, Sok on reception, the security staff and the very fine ladies on reception and restaurant and also the housekeeping people are all a credit to your hotel. Nothing was too much trouble to them. I have stayed at many hotels as I travel frequently, but I have never experienced a more friendly and happy group of people as you have at the Macau Phnom Penh Hotel. From the night we checked in, while Chhay and I were away in Kompong Som, to the day we checked out we felt that we were in good hands and felt secure in your hotel.
When I visit Phnom Penh again, I will contact you and again will stay at the Macau Phnom Penh Hotel.
Thank you also for your very personal involvement and your happy greeting whenever we met.

We do recommend this hotel to all travelers to stay in this hotel.

Kind regards,
Steve McDonald and Kem Chhay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Macau Phnom Penh Hotel

Reviewed August 6, 2011

There was my honeymoon and first time stayed at Macau Phnom Penh Hotel. The staff there very friendly and helpful, anything that we need help we can look for them. The room very clean and romantic decoration make me unforgettable, moreover i really enjoyed with Khmer food at Macau Restaurant. The hotel not very far from riverside i just spend only $2.00 for Tuk Tuk to take me there. We will come back to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I stayed at hotel for only 1 night in mid July, in order to take care my group, i came to hotel in advance and checked rooms if they are fine and availability. The hotel seems to be divided into 2 areas, one in the main building which face to street and another new rooms at the back yard. Deluxe rooms with windows are fine, suitable for FIT guests, the rooms at the back yard are so so for family.
Please note to avoid rooms on the 4th floor, i could not sleep well because of the noise from elevator everytime guests using....and some rooms are stuffy as no window
Another thing, breakfast is so simple with very basic dishes that may not difficult to satisfy your taste.

I had a chance to meet Kim - GM of hotel who is very helpful and willing to assist any information you want

Tuk tuk from hotel to Riverside is US$4/way.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Mickels093, General Manager at Macau Phnom Penh Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2011

Dear Mr. Cuong,

Hope you are fine !

Very nice to know you and much thanks for your stay with us on 14 July 2011. We do apologize for any inconvenience cause during your stay with us. Otherwise, much thanks for valued time to share our hotel properties and services in tripadvisors.com. we do promise that we will try to improve our properties and services to all our customers to be better.

Hope see you again in Phnom Penh !

Wish you success, lucky, healthy, wealthy, happiness….4ever !

Reviewed July 10, 2011

This is a nice, but mediocre hotel. Its clean enough, but certainly not one of the best hotels I've stayed at in Phnom Penh. I'm not crazy about the location... yes, it is near the S21 but I would recommend staying Riverside. There are a lot more options for walking around on the river. This hotel's location has limited things close to it. If you need this location for a particular reason, then its an okay hotel. If you are looking to stay in Phnom Penh for a few days, you might want to consider another location. Free internet here is great. They overcharge for a taxi to the airport. For a tuk tuk it should be $7, and a taxi it should be $9 (fixed at airport) but since you are getting it from the hotel they charge commission ($13). This hotel might be worth it if they had free airport shuttle as an incentive to stay here, or an IN ROOM SAFE. People are nice enough, but if you are on the 4th floor, you have to take stairs, so get someone to help you with your bag. :)

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 28, 2011

If you are looking for a great place to stay in the heart of Phnom Penh then you should really consider the Macau Phnom Penh Hotel. It's a brand new property that still has that fresh clean smell of newness in the air. All of the rooms have clean modern lines, plasma televisions, mini refrigerators, comfortable beds, large euro-style bathrooms and ice cold air conditioning. From the minute you step in the hotel you feel welcomed and at home. The young and friendly staff has been well chosen. They always seem to be happy and are always ready and willing to help you. When I arrived, my wifi connection in my room was not very strong. Within a couple hours the manager had a technical consultant from the ISP company on the premises fixing the problem. That's true customer service! I also loved the complimentary weekend morning breakfast buffet. It had a wide variety of delicious items to choose from including fresh fruit and Vietnam coffee. The regular menu was also nice. I loved the lightly battered sweet and sour prawns. The hotel is only a short tuk tuk ride from the riverside and the cities other attractions. A true gem of a hotel, a great find and all at a reasonable price. I will definitely stay at this hotel again and recommend it without hesitation to anyone who comes to Phnom Penh.

Room Tip: stay on the fourth floor and enjoy the terrace!!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We were very happy with our stay in Macau Phnom Penh Hotel, the hotel was very new, clean and the staffs were really helpful, not forget to mention Kim, the General Manager which helped us a lot in planning our trip and get us the best deal in our Mekong River Boat Ride. The hotel offers very nice traditional Khmer food at a reasonable price, we even get an additional 10% discount for our meal. Generally, we were quite satisfy with the buffet breakfast provided by the hotel, although not much choices but it taste good.
We have planned to travel from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap by bus, the staffs helped us to purchase our bus ticket and also arrange the transportation from the hotel to the bus station. We rented a 15 seaters van from the hotel at a bargain, which made our trip easier and more comfortable. We love the hotel balcony the most because at night, it was very windy (since we visited Phnom Penh during summer), and we enjoyed a lot of beers here (beers and liquor were very cheap over here).

Russian Market and S21 were just walking distance away from the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 9, 2011

I stayed at this property for three nights from March 6-8th 2011.
It was selected for me by the person that I was going to visit as it was in very close proximity to their home.
I occupied room 408 which was clean and well equipped with a small fridge with mini bar supplies, hairdryer, television, efficient air conditioning, in room safe, kettle with tea & coffee and shampoo and other bathroom amenities.
Housekeeping service was fine and everything replenished and refreshed on a daily basis.
The lift only goes to the third floor and so you need to climb a small set of stairs to the fourth floor. The fourth floor also has a large shared terrace.
I had food delivered from the restaurant to my room one night which was nicely presented, served hot, was good value and tasty.
The restaurant area is located at the front of the property on the ground floor in the lobby area.
I did not eat breakfast or use the gym and spa facilities advertised by the property and so cannot comment on these services.
WiFi internet access is available throughout the property although I personally had a problem accessing it on the fourth floor, however it was fine in the lobby where there was also a computer for general use.
It was a short tuk-tuk ride to the main waterfront and Independence Monument areas and the price averaged between US $1.50 - 2.00 depending on bargaining skills.
Whilst this property is located on a main street, I did not find it to be overly noisy.
The hotel staff were pleasant and accommodating and I was happy with my stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo