“OK, But not the best!”

Salita Hotel
Ranked #90 of 271 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Salita Hotel – Phnom Penh
I stayed 2 nights at the Salita Hotel in Penh in May 2012. On my last visit to Phnom Penh in Dec/Jan I stayed at different hotel but based upon the write-ups, I decided to give Salita a try. When I made my online reservation a month or more before, I requested a single with one queen bed and the reservation was confirmed. When I arrived the staff informed me that there were no singles available so they gave me a room with two single beds. The rooms are small so having 2 beds in the room did not leave much floor space. That was not a major problem however the staff didn’t seem particularly anxious to find me a single-bed room. The bathroom has a shower-in-the tub arrangement. I prefer a separate shower stall – not a big deal – just my personal preference.
On the positive side, the hotel is located conveniently near the Olympic Stadium and a Lucky Supermarket and restaurants within a few blocks. Salita’s restaurant is on the tenth floor providing a panoramic view of that part of the city. The elevator is modern and air-conditioned. The AC in the room was adequate but the restaurant is quite open to the outside with no AC – only fans making it quite warm in the summer. The in-room Wi-Fi connection worked very well.
Salita’s restaurant serves only Khmer food so if you crave a hamburger or some other western cuisine, you’ll have to take a tuk-tuk to the Lucky Market area which is what I did on my second night there. Based upon not having a single bed room, the non-air conditioned restaurant, and a limited menu, I decided to leave the Salita and return to the hotel where I had stayed five months prior where I know the menu, the staff, and everything is comfortably cool.

Room Tip: You will not find western food on the menu here.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Salita Hotel

Reviewed April 24, 2012

A decent mid range hotel that wouldn't look out of place in Sydney or Singapore or anywhere. Staff were helpful and friendly, rooms were clean, breakfast was basic but good and the breakfast hostess was quite charming with her limited English and her discussions with us on the ubiquitous Hong Kong action movies on Cambodian TV.

Front desk staff spoke good English and were quite helpful. The TukTuk driver we found (he seems to have adopted the hotel as a home base) was Mr. Hy (+855 (0) 16515655) who is an honest man with a perpetual smile and a shiny, new TukTuk that we made good use of on several occasions. We gather Mr. Hy is new to the TukTuk industry as he had to ask directions frequently (including how to get to the international airport terminal) but he always got us to our destination and we really enjoyed his company. By the time you arrive he'll be an expert.

The only drawback to the hotel we found was a lack of a swimming pool. On the last day in Phnom Penh we moved to another hotel with a pool (and used it for 15 mins).

We would certainly recommend the Salita hotel to others.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank 1963backpacker
Reviewed April 14, 2012

The hotel is situated well outside the usual tourist spots, which in my opinion is an advantage in terms of quitness. Touk touks can easily be found just outside the hotel for a reasonable fare(average of 3 USD). The area is secure , even at night times. The staff is very friendly and helpfull in helping to organize tours. Especially ms Amey at the reception is of a great help and patience.
The only negative point I have to mention is the very limited choice of breakfast,
(perhaps the price to pay for late sleeping).
Will certainly return on my next trip to PNH.

Room Tip: Take a VIP room on a higher floor to enjoy the view ans the quietness
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I visited Phnom Penh in Nov 2011 for the first time and stayed at Salita Hotel for 10 days. I was pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness and spacious rooms. I had a decent breakfast which was a buffet spread. The staff were great and had a good command of english and various other languages. Today is my fifth stay at Salita Hotel. I go for a jog in the mornings at the Olympic Stadium. Great Choice for all.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east and west at 5th storey gives you a wide view of colorful buildings in Phnom Penh C...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 26, 2012

For only $30US a night this is a great value hotel. It is new with very good size rooms. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is average, more asian than english but it is included in the price. There are places to eat and drink, as long as you like local.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 17, 2012

My husband and I had 4 nights at Salita and overall we had a pleasant comfortable stay. The room was of adequate size, we had good working aircon, a tv with a good selection of channels and complimentary small bottles of water and tea/coffee facilities. The bathroom was clean and amenities were provided. Fridge and mini bar are available.

While there was a fair amount of food on offer with the buffet breakfast my husband and I didn't enjoy the selection.

Wifi was available throughout the hotel and it provided a good connection during our stay.

We did notice that our area had a few blackouts which seems to be common in Phnom Penh thankfully the hotel was equipped with a suitable generator and the blackouts did not affect our stay.

The location of the hotel was out of town. We paid $2 to get to the river front in a tuk tuk. We did walk back from the royal palace one day which took about 30-40 minutes. While it was interesting to walk  back to the hotel it was mostly local business, garages, homes and local street side restaurants.

We did enjoy 50 Cent draught beers at the place just opposite the hotel. There was a restaurant that we ate at and enjoyed about a 10 min walk called Yumi. It is Japanese but pricey for Cambodian standards.

There is a shopping mall with a good supermarket and cinema (showing english films with khmer subtitles - we didn't go but from memory it was about $3 per adult ticket) just the other side of Olympic stadium called city mall. It was $1 usd each way from the hotel in a tuk tuk but could be walked in about 15-20 mins.

On our last night we ate at the hotel restaurant. It was an average meal not amazing but not bad either. A satisfactory option if you don't want local eats or to head to the river front.

The staff were friendly enough but we found it disappointing that they did not have a map (apart from the hotel card) or any information for sightseeing in Phnom Penh. These were readily available for free at restaurants and bars on the river front and made our stay easier. I mentioned on check out that this could be of benefit for the guests of their hotel.

Overall a comfortable stay. If you don't mind being out of town then this place is for you. If you're more interested in the river front and sights around there then you might find this place just too far away.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We started our tour in Phnom Pehn and stayed at the Salita for 5 days. The staff were very friendly and helpful,the room was big and clean and the breakfast was OK.The only con is that it is not near the riverside we paid $3 for a tuk-tuk every time.Would recommend it

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple