“More than a guesthouse”
Review of YK Art House

YK Art House
Ranked #3 of 334 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Yes, it is accessible to the busy center. Yes, it is a bit of a walk to the river front. Yes, you need mosquito repellant. Yes, they have wifi. Yes, the rooms are clean and spacious. I personally love our bathroom :) Yes, they have a very friendly and helpful reception. Yes, they speak good English. Yes, the food is worth it. Yes, I felt a very sincere welcome in this place as I have never been to before.
Ms. Muoy (owner) had graciously introduced herself to us. She is very prompt in answering our emails and her staff has accommodated our requests (especially an early breakfast prior to departing). Literally, they serve with a smile. Arranging for a masseuse from the nearby spa houses are easy, just make the request with whoever is in the Reception.
They arranged tuktuks to pick us up from the bus station (as we were coming from Phnom Penh at night). Most of the staff are those who were educated by the school which was put up by Ms. Muoy for underprivileged kids. She gave us a yearbook of the kids as a memento.
By patronizing the guesthouse, the guests are likewise contributing to the school. In all, the service and place is very good for an affordable price.
P.S. Previously, they accept credit card payments but because of bank charges, I was told that there will cash payments only.
PPS. Guests can use the pool except when it is used for swimming class

Room Tip: We stayed in a family room (Good for 4-5 people) which is very spacious. Keep the doors closed bec...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Wonderful guesthouse, felt like I was at home, staff and service is excellent, great choice after a long flight to unwind....Thank you Channit for your beautiful smile and laughs as you try and teach us Khmer, thanks Dara for driving us everywhere in your Tuk Tuk and providing local knowledge to enhance our Phnom Penh experience.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Met my channith at reception and his smile and hospitality made me feel right at home immediately! Room was spacious and clean and their was even hot water! The kitchen ladies were superb and the food was excellent! As a single traveller I felt safe and comfortable here and knowing my dollar was also contributing to the funding of the attached school made it all a little bit more worthwhile ! The volunteers and muoy showed me the school and their work is truly incredible! The kids all speak good English and are well cared for. The pool is an extra asset after a hot day of exploring! My only regret was that I did not have enough time to return! May another time perhaps I will return to volunteer!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I stayed here for just over 2 months in 2013 whilst I was undertaking an internship in Phnom Penh. From the start staff were friendly and attentive and Muoy, the guesthouse owner, made an effort to make me feel welcome and at home. My room was big and spacious and had lots of nice features like wall hangings and nice furniture which helped me to feel much more settled whilst so far away from home. Staff were happy to help with various things like booking bus tickets and sorting visa extensions. Breakfast was nice and filling with tea, lime (lemon) juice, baguettes and varieties of home made jams. Pool was a great feature and lovely to cool down in after a day at work or over the weekends - not massive but big enough to swim in. Poolside area was a lso a nice place to just hangout. I'd say location was prett good, could easily walk to places of interest like the national musuem and royal palace and also within walking distance of the bars of street 278 and many good eateries. There were always tuk tuk drivers either just outside the guesthouse or just down the road if you don't fancy walking. Can't fault this place at all, would definitely stay again if I even find myself back in Phnom Penh.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Briony P
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I was browsing online for affordable accommodation in Phnom Penh and I found You Khin House which received tons of good reviews. I clicked through the images, read through the reviews left by other guests and was almost certain that this would be the place. Then as I scrolled, I read some negative feedbacks about little nitty gritty complains about the mosquito problem, location problem, no hot water problem, and couldn't help but to feel a little skeptical. Nonetheless I decide to go ahead with the booking anyway.

Guess what, I was really glad that I did! We had the tuk tuk driver drive us to You Khin house. Upon arrival, my friend, my husband and myself were really surprised that this seemingly humble doorway would lead to the reception of You Khin House itself. It looked pretty much like a doorway blended within the alley, which you wouldn't even had noticed if you didn't see carefully.

We checked in and were led up to our room (3 of us shared one) which was mega huge! The room was bright, well ventilated, cooling (even without aircon), the ensuite bathroom was really spacious too. No mosquitos in the room, and they have signs advising guests to close the door to prevent mosquito from getting into the room. Everything was well labeled in Khmer and English. They even have a bag hung on the wall to encourage guests to recycle and reuse the plastic bags.

There were the basic amenities such as towels, shower foam, shampoo, and even bottled drinking water. However you'd have to bring your own toothbrush and toothpaste which was fine by us.

As all the reviews mentioned, there's no TV in the room which we were fine with. I think it would be fair (to the owners at You Khin House) that people who are looking at this accommodation read through the reviews first before booking, and then end up being disappointed. I mean, upon reading the reviews you should already have a general idea what to expect of the place.

The staff were all really friendly, warm and helpful.. genuine and really sincere. If you're bored, you can take a swim in their swimming pool, or play the musical instruments (guitar, keyboard, local Cambodian instruments), read some books, enjoy the paintings and history of the place, play chess, or even have a chat with their staff. Some of them can speak English, while some are trying their best. Do give them a chance to practice by speaking with them.

Breakfast was good enough for us - with bread, butter, some fruit jams, and there's even fruits for us! Tea or coffee or even water... if you'd like to add on some other food such as eggs, you can order it from the kitchen as well.

If you are looking at Hotels with TV, in room wifi, carpeted floor and everything polished, go elsewhere. Because You Khin House is a really humble establishment with a good social cause to give back to the society. And most importantly, saving resources, preserving humanity by letting their guests reconnect with other people again... it's the human touch. Especially when our society is fast becoming of one whereby we speak to each other on whatsapp when we're just sitting beside each other. Instead of having meaningful conversations, we meddle with our phones, perhaps too busy with emails, too busy surfing the internet... we lost the time to enjoy the peace and serenity in life.

We had a really good rest, and all of us were feeling sad when we checked out. We wished we could stay longer. When we visit Phnom Penh the next time, You Khin House will definitely be our one and only choice! It's the only place where we feel we can finally slow down, reconnect with our inner selves, cut some slack in life, and enjoy the peace.. instead of a typical Hotel. Life in Singapore is stressful enough. In fact I really love that there is no TV in the room at all.

Everything was wonderful. We love the beautiful place, the beautiful people, and also the beautiful experience.

God Bless, and till the next time! (:

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Njerlyn
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Loved loved loved staying here! Very helpful and friendly staff, beautiful rooms and a great cause! It is a little far from town but walkable and there is always a tuk tuk at the door waiting. The kitchen downstairs makes incredible food. Pricey but worth it!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 24, 2013

It is located near the Russian embassy, a small street. You pass over the gate, there is small garden with a small swimming pool. It seems that the house was owned by a painter, Mr. You Kin because its paintings are on the ground floor. There are around ten rooms. The rooms are large, well furnished and with a nice touch. There are a fan and an Air Condioning.
The bed are hard.
The breakfast is composed of fruits, bread and jams. The coffe is correct (for a french).
The hotel is combined with a school. it is the rationale for the higher price.

The palace is around 25 minutes by walk. You may negotiate a tuktuk at 1-2 USD. The hotel has appointed tuktuk and taxi. They have higher price, but it is possible to bargain.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family