“It is cheap but pretty basic”
Review of Kha Vi Guest House

Kha Vi Guest House
Ranked #189 of 334 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The guesthouse is located on a road full of guesthouses. It is only renting rooms (there is hardly any common area). We have been offered a choice between basic and premium room. Basic room was basically a set of mattresses in a low ceiling room. Premium room was bigger with a tiny bathroom arranged in a corner of the room. The place is a bit run down and the walls were pretty dirty. We stayed at the place because we have arrived late and all other places were full. Fortunately we were able to find something better the next day. It is very cheap but there are many better options In Phnom Penh for reasonably priced accommodation.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Don't go there! Right next door is a better place to stay the Happy 11 or something like that for $10 air con and $7 fan for double bedroom, we already payed two nights in this horrible place so we had to stay there, the fan wasn't working well and very noisy, the staff was terrible, they charge us $10 in a double room but it was dirty and all the time trying to charge us more for everything we never asked for. In that street are many hotels so you can choose.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

room cost $15. Was on opposite building to the main building pn the ground floor. Bed was comfortable room has a/c everything worked. Bit of noise outside our room in the morning. Staff were helpful and friendly, would stay here again. Shower was ok. No wifi where we were.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I honestly can't understand why this place got bad reviews. The room was clean which is lovely when you are only paying $10 a night. The WiFi worked really well in my room. There was a large window that let in a lot of natural light and allowed for enough ventilation to not need air-con. The staff weren't over the top friendly but they weren't rude by any stretch of the means. You can book many things through the front desk. It was a pretty standard nice place to stay for budget accommodation.
I also don't understand why people are complaining about paying ahead of time. One girl at the guest house came back after a night out and gave the poor guy at the desk an earful when he asked her for payment for that night. Most guest houses I've been to in SEA have asked for it ahead of time, except places in Cambodia. So this is the one place here where they do? Shut up about it. It is their business!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Among all the accommodations we tried during our Vietnam-Cambodia-Thailand trip , KHA VI GUEST HOUSE in Phnom Penh was the worst.I mean, $10 overnight accommodation (good for 2pax w/o breakfast) is not expensive but I am sure you can find a better place at the same rate.If I am to describe it in one word, it would be ----- dysfunctional.

We stayed in a fan room originally for 2 but upgraded it yo 3 beds so we werw asked to pay $5 more.Meaning, $5 per pax. We paid an extra $5 coz we realized that we cannot survive without the A/C on one hot Cambodian summer night.That means $20 total for this dark,dysfunctional and ambiance-less place.

Our rooms were actually on another building across the street from the main guesthouse where we registered.I thought I like the ambiance more at the main building which by the way is the one I saw online which made me think I got a good value hotel in Phnom Penh.But it wasn't as good as I expected.The extension building which I reckon is newer than the main building looks creepy.It looks like a deserted house.Lifeless and no accent at all.Never noticed any other guests except us.Good thing we were too busy and tired we didn't even bother to complain.Actually, I haven't really given much thought about it until now that I am writing this recalling the experience.

Not only that the building and the hallways are lifeless,even the room itself.It was dark and lacks appeal.

I do shower every night before going to bed, and yes, even during the entire backpacking trip.Can't help it even if what my body only wants to do is to jump into bed and sleep.The most annoying part therefore is having a dysfunctional shower.Yes, hot shower that doesn't go hot.Water pressure was annoyingly weak too.And the mirror and the hinges on the wall up to the space where you can place your toiletries and stuff are all badly coordinate.Talk about how a simple toilet session can go complicated.I saw a a couple of Scotch taped sections in the restroom, which shows how un-serious they are at fixing things.

I have nothing to complain in terms of service.They were very accommodating.They also allowed us to leave our things at the lobby when we were on city tour and none of our valuables got lost.They also effortlessly and quickly booked our shuttle tickets to Siem Reap for $10 ---van.

Then again, Kha Vi Guesthouse will not be in my recommended list.I think you can find a better place with the same price range.Consider yourself warned.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building may be better than the ones at the extension house.I am not sure about th...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stayed here on our first ever night in Cambodia. The tuk tuk dropped us off and ushered us in to what we thought was pretty dam good for £6 a night..lovely room and then after settling down we went to find the bar and there was a hot tub there...fantastic we thought, until the staff came to find us and we realized we had booked into the wrong hotel ha ha ha!! We were next door at the kha vi. We had booked into no 9 hotel accidentally, which incidentally is lovely!! So off we went to be bitterly dissapointed with the kha vi and much amusement to us and everyone else doh! Anyway we were ushered across the road to another building and our room, which was a bit old and dirty, but there you go for £6. It was ok for what we wanted to do whilst in phenom, breakfast was ok, and we booked a bus to siem reap with them too, which was fine. I would recommend staying at no 9 next door though or closer to the riverfront! You're quite close to the grand palace and river front if you like walking and plenty of tuk drivers outside offering their services and whatever else you might need ha ha!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We initially booked into the Lazy Gecko down the road for a fan room for $10 a night. We had to move after the first night because there was no ventilation in the room and there was lots of building going on outside. Just a small way down the road we booked in to Kha Vi and got an air-con room for $12. The room was clean and was in a great location. It was a good size and we also had wifi in the room which was nice. The staff we also very nice and we'd definitely stay here again if we ever came back to Phnom Penh.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple