“3 months stay, couldn't be happier”
Review of Europe Guest House

Europe Guest House
Ranked #3 of 325 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Phnom Pen, Phnum Penh, Cambodia
“3 months stay, couldn't be happier”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I have stayed here for 3 months total since October during various visits, and I wouldn't stay anywhere else. The owner is a great guy, and the entire staff goes out of their way to help you with any needs. They are friendly and helpful, and willing to put up with a lot. Lord knows I stumble in there drunk and wake them up to let me in at least 3x a week, yet I am still greeted with a smile, even after having to wake him up.

The prior review by Mark, I disagree with wholeheartedly. I don't know what he is expecting for 15 dollars a night. The room is clean. Spartan, but clean nonetheless. There is a flat-screen tv with many generous Western Cable channels, a closet, a chair and two tables. In regards to the room "smell", I am going to say he is mistaken. I have stayed in the same room most likely, being that I have been in nearly every room. I generally stay in 202 or 203 as to be as close as possible to the Wi-Fi router. The bathrooms smell like bathrooms. Maybe not the smell of a 5 star hotel bathroom, but if you have spent much time in Southeast Asia, you would understand that the bathroom set up, where the shower runs on the floor, not a separate shower as is traditional style here is how buildings are made. There is no smell that you speak of.

The location is nearby proximity to some girly bars...true...but so is a large portion of Phnom Penh. Any area with restaurants, bars, and other positives for a traveler in Southeast Asia will not be far from girly bars. You also are very close to Riverside, which is the most desirable location in PP.

I also have not encountered dust in the rooms.

People always want to post negative reviews of places that do not deserve it. I believe that to be the case here. I highly recommend this place, for the price (15 dollars) I would have a hard time believing there is a better place in the city.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Carter G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Let me start by saying the personnel of the guesthouse is absolutely friendly and helpful. They will do their best to give you a good time. However, the GH is not wat we expected it to be. We booked our room because the TA rating was high(nr5), but we were very dissapointed.

Our first room was on the second floor. The room was far from clean (thick layers of dust everywhere) and really stank (especially the bathroom). The bedsheets and the towels were stained. We took this up with staff and agreed to move the next day to a better room with window (ofourse we had to pay extra, but we didn't mind)

New room wasn't better. Regardless of te window it still stank. Once again only cleaned in some places but in the corners and on the cabinets dust everywhere. This time one of the pillows had big red stains in it. Still don't want to know what it was.

We showed this to mr. Seng and after yelling to his cleaning crew for 2 minutes he apologized and told us every 2 days he has to instruct his crew again. I think it's his responsibilty and if that's the case to check the rooms more often. If necessary every day.

So beware and be informed. Do not trust the 170+ very good reviews, cause it just isn't. It's a shabby place with again nice people.

Also be informec that the guesthouse is in a section with a lot of girlybars.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We stayed here for two nights. The owner is very friendly and speaks very good French and English. When we checked in, he immediately went over a map with us and showed us where all the main sites were and how much a Tuk Tuk should cost for most places. Our room was basic but clean and had air conditioning. The beds were clean but the sheets were a little old and stained but it appeared that they were washed.

The location is very good and is less than 2 blocks from the river side which has nice patios. The night market and local markets are close too as well as many ATM's and banks.

Overall I would stay there again! No complaints!

• Stayed March 2012
Nice, France
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I've got a lot to say about Europe guesthouse and I'll try not to be too confused and confusing.
First, why is it a real guesthouse and why it matters.
Simple, Mr. Seng and his family live here, this their home. If you are used to travel a lot you know what I mean, a lot of places name themselves "guesthouse" as in reality they are hotels.
Me and my Dame we love to stay in guesthouses when we travel, we tend to avoid hotels especially when we are far from home. In guesthouses you get to know the people, the way they live, they eat...
Guesthouses are a great gateway to a country.

And that's the case in point here with Mr. Seng and his family, we feel like we are in a small way a part of his family, we feel we are friends.
It was a real joy to sit in the front of the guesthouse every day in the morning or in the evening and have a talk with Seng, but not just him, with fellow travelers too and the staff.
We stayed for 12 days in Phnom Penh and we can't count how many times we have been offered a nice iced cold, delicious jasmine tea, or fresh green mangoes khmer style.
We can't count how many times we laughed with the people there, like Hak-Lin the main receptionist, Sokar the tuk-tuk driver.
We bombarded Seng with question about Cambodia and he was always happy to indulge us, and it wasn't a one way conversation, Seng and the others are eager to learn from you, who you are, what you have done.

Yes, it's true, we kind of fell in love with the place and its people. How could we not ? We felt so welcome.

Furthermore, if you have a need, if you have a problem, a request, Seng will help you, and I really mean help you. We asked a lot of him and he always provided.

So go to the place, get to know its people, you won't regret it.

Now, about the place itself, I'll be fair, it is a simple, honest place, like its owner. Don't expect a boutique, fancy whatever hotel.
The rooms are clean, simple, some might say a bit bare, you have some with windows, some without, bigger and smaller rooms as can be expected.

I shall make a point here about noise. Phnom penh is a very noisy city, it only calm down (not everyday) at night. So if you take one of the room facing the street there will be noise. Apart from a few places or if you are outside downtown you can't avoid it, but you should know, don't complain about it after.

So, another great point about the place : LOCATION !
You are 5 minutes walking from central market, 2 minutes from riverside, 50 meters from old market, a short walk or short tuk-tuk ride from national museum, wat Phnom, Royal Palace, Silver Pagoda, S-21, all the main tourist attractions.
The street (street 136) is filled with bar, guesthouses/hotels, local eateries, restaurants, a kind of 7/11 on the corner. You have everything at hands.

It may sound a bit too much, like I'm trying too hard to sell you the place but that's the truth. It's true about the people and the location.

We are not backpackers nor "bourgeois" travelers. We like to know the country and the people, the food and the customs, we love to meet and share with locals and travelers. We love history and culture, past and present and we got all that and more staying at Europe Guesthouse.

If you are like minded, well what are you waiting for ?

Room Tip: avoid street side room if you are a light sleeper or if you can't bear noises.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shinyakaisan
Winnipeg
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Stayed here for two nights and what we loved about the hotel was the amazing and friendly staff, great location and clean rooms. We stayed near the back and it was quiet. The AC was a bonus to have as it is very hot! The rooms were a little worn looking and the sheets had some stains on them, but at least we're clean. We paid $20/night so it was a great value.

Try the restaurant on the street corner about two buildings down form the hotel. Amazing breakfast for so cheap!

• Stayed March 2012
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I picked up this guest house in the lively Riverfront area of Phnom Penh following the many nice reviews I read about it... And they were reflecting the reality. For the situation, the very nice and helpful staff (especially Seng, the owner, a Cambodian who lived a long time in France), the clean and comfortable bed, I give an excellent review. I travelled in solo and had a confortable, clean, basic single room with A/C. It is possible to visit sights like the riverfront, the night market, the central market by foot. For further distance, tuk-tuks or motorbikes are everywhere.

So if you look for a nice guesthouse in Phnom Penh, just write Seng an e-mail and he will answer very quickly!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I booked here just for a week to see how it was on the strength of the reviews and I can recommend the place.

Seng is every bit as helpful and nice as all the other reviews would have you believe. The young man who runs the desk most of the time is friendly as well. I'm not a tourist exactly, I live in the region and have been here many times, so I'm not sure how good the tourist advice and such is, but Seng does know good spots for food and where to buy random items one might need.

The rooms themselves show a little bit of wear (scuffs on walls, forgettable stuff), but seem very clean and well-appointed. At least in my room ($16/night) you have a small LCD TV, quiet & powerful AC, hot water that actually works and a reasonably comfortable bed. Cleaning is provided daily as is free water and some basic toiletries. The room also features a desk suitable for getting work done, a small bedside table and a wardrobe.

I was allowed to park my rented mountain bike inside for the week that I stayed and they kept a good eye on it. As well, Seng and his staff were very attentive to any requests I had. I didn't hang out with guests downstairs, but this guesthouse isn't really set up for people to hang out. There's no bar or restaurant and just a few chairs. That was fine for me, but if you're looking to stay in a place where people sprawl across beanbags and share tips on the cheapest street food or what have you then you'll need to book here and hang out elsewhere.

All in all, it's not a spectacular guesthouse, it is simply a very solid value for the money with a very, very nice owner and staff who seem to be honest, friendly and treated respectfully by Seng. I would definitely recommend it for budget travelers.

Room Tip: Room #203 is right beneath the wifi router and has the strongest signal. The internet does sometime...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo