“Wonderful!”

Tom Yum Kung Restaurant, Phnom Penh
Ranked #209 of 1,414 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, Cambodian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

After some unbelievably uninspiring food in Siem Reap, we were mildly skeptical about Khmer dishes in general (not to mention Tom Yum Kung's rave reviews). Put your worries aside! Tom Yum Kung delivered the tastiest meal we have had in all of Cambodia, on par with anything I have eaten in Southeast Asia. We ordered the Amok Trei (fish), Cashew Chicken Curry, and Pineapple Fried Rice and the obligatory fresh coconut. A full meal for two - just $11.

Delicious food, very pleasant atmosphere, and an affordable price. Definitely worth a visit.

• Visited January 2014

• Polish first
  • Thai first
Scotland, United Kingdom
“They put French fries as veg in my masaman curry”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Yes. You read correct. I asked for a vegetable masaman curry. No tofu. Just vegetables. The photo on the menu showed greens and other bits. So I expected carrot, potato, onions, whatever. They had loads of vegetables on their menu.

But what I got was a glorified chips and curry sauce. I ordered French fries, crinkle cut they were, and they came out first. They were ok but for $2 I expected a little more.

Then came my curry. Portion size was ok. And after a few bites, mid conversation with my wife, who had the same, we realised we were eating French fries through our curry. Actual full French fries through the sauce. With onions and peanuts. That was it. No greens. No other veg. Just that.

Now, it tasted ok. But we ordered a vegetable curry and got chips and curry sauce.

This definitely ruined the meal. We ordered two coconuts priced at $1 on the menu and the waiter asked cold or not. I said cold, with a tone that suggested it was a trick question. I realised when paying why I was asked. $1.50 for cold coconuts. That's 50% extra for it to be kept in a fridge. No prices for the cold one were mentioned. Yet they tried to charge us for it. I pointed this out to who seemed to be in charge.

The main man in charge looked at his waiter and asked in Khmer if he asked us if it was cold. He said he asked you therefor it's $1.50. I made it clear this was not told to me and also showed them their menu. He agreed and took the price down and charged us for one meal, which I I initially offered to pay for. The look on his face told me he grudged this.

Never again.

As I said, the masaman didn't taste like masamans I had in Thailand. Was more like chips and curry sauce, a favourite in the UK. Disappointed.

• Visited January 2014
Saint Kilda, Victoria, Australia
“Basic Thai cuisine”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Very popular with locals and price is very reasonable from 2-6 USD. We tried this restuarant several times mostly because it was convenient to our hotel. The Tom Yum is good however the rest of the menu is very average. If you love good Thai cuisine you might like to consider other options but if you are hungry and on a budget then give it a try.

• Visited July 2013
Heidelberg
“Not worth visiting - better options around”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Very mediocre food. We liked the red curry, but the bbq'd chicken was insanely overcooked and without sauce. Definitely inexpensive, but you can do better in the area.

Visited November 2013
Vientiane, Laos
“Mostly good food, need more fans”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stay nearby and ate here recently. I had Massaman curry which was fine and a reasonable portion for $4, with some cold beerlao. My wife had fried pork rib & garlic which was good, with som tam and sticky rice. The somtam was dry with the chilli served separate even after she asked for it very spicy, and had no dry shrimp or crab, so not so good. Also her sticky rice was the type served in a plastic bag after being heated in the microwave, rather than freshly made. You'd expect this at a small Thai place with too few customers to bother steaming sticky rice each day, but not a busy place like this.

The service was fairly quick so maybe they have picked up on previous complaints - the place was full (every table) but we still got served within a couple of minutes.

The restaurant is covered in on 3 sides so gets no air - it was hot even at night - so a couple of extra fans would be good.

Overall a nice meal and the place is obviously popular - but improvements could easily be made without spending much money.

• Visited September 2013