Grasshopper Adventures Day Tours by Bicycle
$45.00*
and up
Islands of the Mekong Bike Tour from Phnom Penh
More attraction details
Owner description: Bicycle Tours of the Cambodian Countryside. Tours that allow you to connect with the real Cambodia. Half day tours, full day tours and multi-day tours.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I really didn't know what to expect, I usually make my own itinerary when I ride, but given that my friend and I had limited time and no bikes, this trip fit the bill perfectly. My friend booked the trip in advance on-line and when we arrived at the Grasshopper Bike Shop in the morning of our scheduled day, our bikes, helmets, and a water bottle were ready and waiting. Our guide, a young woman named Amom was not only very knowledgeable and professional, but she was also very fun to be with. She had a wealth of anecdotal information about Cambodia and Phnom Penh in general but also many of the things we saw along the ride. Growing up on a small farm not much unlike many we saw along the ride, Amon was able to give us first hand insight into the challenges of life in rural Cambodia. Overall the ride was quite the adventure, it including three ferry crossings and riding on a variety of tracks, paved roads, gravel roads and dirt cow tracks through rice paddies and farmlands. We made a stop at a small rural silk farm operated by an extended family. The process of making silk was described in detail, while the actually spinning and weaving of the silk could be observed. Most of the folks we met along the way were friendly, the young kids especially would often shout out "hello" as we went by. It was bloody hot riding, but we had ample shade and water breaks. I recommend this trip if you have limited time in PP and want to get away from the bustle of the city to see a little bit of rural Cambodia.

2 Thank PabloAmericano

Guangzhou, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This ride was a great way to end a good buddy's departure from SE Asia. We've done several bike trips together in Indonesia over the years and this short but eventful ride ranks up with the best rides we've taken. It's an easy ride with some great ferry experiences to get out of the city and into the countryside to see Cambodian life in transition. The rental bikes were excellent and our tour guide, Amom, was superb! The weather was HOT but we had plenty of drinks and rest stops along the way to prevent any health hazards. The ride ended with some excellent local dishes at a typical Cambodian restaurant. Stopping at a silk weaving cottage industry to see first hand of the revival of this business was interesting. The fresh fruit and water was just what the body needed at this stage of the ride. I definitely recommend this tour to anyone who wants to enjoy some exercise and some extra time in Phnom Penh.

2 Thank Mark R
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Tour to Oudong. No better way to visit the Cambodian countryside”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Highly recommended. I took the whole-day guided guided cycling tour to Oudong, a ride into the countryside outside Phnom Penh, to the capital of Cambodia prior to Phnom Penh. While Oudong is an interesting place to visit in and of itself, the real gem in this trip is simply getting out into the countryside and villages of Cambodia. My guide was Vicheka who was funny, personable, and knowledgable. There were 2 riders and 2 guides during this trip on June 14, 2013 although the other client and guide were just beginning a 3 day trip continuing on to Battambang.

I am an avid cyclist so for me the distance was not a challenge. Tthe other client was not a cyclist at all but was adequately fit and completed the ride without difficulty. I think the website describes the ride well - if you are decently physically fit, you can do this ride.

The heat and humidity of Cambodia's early rainy season could have been a challenge. But the tour was well paced with frequent stops to eat and drink, including fresh watermelon and other fruit from roadside vendors and an excellent lunch at the end of the ride. In addition, at one stop I opted to grab some pork and rice for breakfast which was also excellent.

We had no equipment difficulties and the bikes were well-maintained and adjusted. Helmets were provided.

I give it five stars because Grasshopper Adventures is very well organized, the staff at the shop and the guides are all very friendly with adequate to excellent English skills, and both the journey and the destination are not to be missed.

5 Thank Sean P
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“half day bike tour”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

we went on the half day bike tour with Amom as our guide. It was terrific. Great bikes and excellent leadership. A delicious lunch included. It was very hot but we had plenty of drinks and rest spots along the way

5 Thank Frances H
Lyon, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fun bike ride; good value for money; don't buy the 'silk' scarves!”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I went on the Grasshopper Adventures Day Tours by Bicycle in Phnom Penh with the guide Amon. The tour is very affordable, being USD33 for a half day guided tour including bike hire, helmet, ferry transfers, bottled water, fresh fruit and even a cooked lunch at the end.

Amom is a delightful guide, and provides endless interesting information about the country, the culture and the people. The bikes are okay. They are Giant front-suspension bikes, but they have seen better days. A little maintenance on the brakes wouldn't go astray! However, they are comfortable enough and one brake per bike does work!

The riding is not at all challenging, and all up is about 15km across four or five hours in the morning. It is a fun trip for the fit, and easily achievable by the less fit. There are three ferry transfers, which are always fun, depending upon who or what else is sharing the ferry with you. In our case, we had a large bull on the barge.

The only down-side of the tour was the visit to the so-called 'silk farm'. It is supposedly a family-run silk farm, where they grow the worms and weave the silk, selling their products at the gate. The visit is interesting, but I advise against buying anything from them. I looked through their silk scarves on display and selected one as a gift for my mother. The woman then very helpfully (or so I thought) went and brought me the same scarf, but packaged in plastic to keep it clean. However, when I got back to the hotel, I opened the sealed plastic bag, only to find a scarf that LOOKED the same, but was nothing at all like it. It even had the label 'Made in China, 100% viscose' still attached! The people can't even be bothered to hide the fact that they are telling people these are their silk products and yet they are cheap imitations from China. No doubt a tried and tested rip-off, and I fell for it, but none-the-less very disappointing as it reflects poorly on Grasshopper tours that they are taking people to this farm. My colleague bought a much nicer, and genuine, silk purse at the duty free at the airport. I recommend doing the same. I binned the scarf!

Visited May 2013
5 Thank MTB66
blinkylinky, Owner at Grasshopper Adventures Day Tours by Bicycle, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I'm really pleased you enjoyed the tour and considered it good value, a comment with which we of course agree!

I have to say I'm shocked about your experience with the scarf. I really don't know what to say. The silk workshop has generally been a great, genuine experience. It's just terrible that they pulled such a trick on you. Our guides will take this up with them in the next few days.

We work so hard on ensuring that the quality of this trip is consistently high, so it's really disappointing to be let down by something like this.

I also note the comment on the bike maintenance. It's been a busy few weeks, so I imagine the mechanics are a little behind, but we'll ensure they get up to speed again quickly.

Thanks again for the review.

Warm regards,