“Oasis amongst busy city streets”

The Plantation Urban Resort and Spa
Ranked #13 of 267 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
“Oasis amongst busy city streets”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed here in for 3 nights. All the staff are exdellent. The restaurant has a lovely setting and the food is good. The buffet breakfast is served outside by the pool. We had a deluxe room overlooking the pool, which was peaceful. The hotel is situated in street a short walk from the Royal Palace and Sisowath Quay. The quay is ideal for walk along the river front. The hotels on the river front did not appeal to us and we are pleased we made the choice to stay at The Plantation.

Room Tip: Get a taxi fron the airport and not a tuktuk
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mjohno11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The plantation urban resort and spa is located directly behind the Royal Palace and could not be more centrally located to visit Phnom Penh- it is about a 5 minute walk to the river front and very close to the central tourist strip along the riverside.

Tucked away in a small street, this hotel is unexpected luxury in the middle of the city- The entrance is a quiet, unintrusive and small- it opens up into a courtyard of a fish/lotus pond- the lobby, a small cozy area- we assumed it would be a very small boutique hotel, but once you walk into the blue pool area (there are two pools, red and blue), you realise the property is much bigger than you'd anticipate. The rooms are modern minimalistic and very comfortable- our rooms faced inwards to the pool area, with its own patio. The pool itself is amazing- cabanas flank either side of the pool, nestled amongst lovely greenery- a great place to unwind after a long day sightseeing in tuk-tuks. It's the kind of place you forget that you're in a city and almost feels like you're in a hotel by the beachside.

We ate both at the poolside bar (also where you have breakfast) and the restaurant- the food and drink is reasonably priced and delicious.

Lovely place to stay at in Phnom Penh and thoroughly made my visit to Phnom Penh so enjoyable.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool a little more pricey, but worth it for the view!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank pinkmambo
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed at what I believe to be the most beautiful hotel I have stayed at. The pool area is exquisite and the rooms spacious and comfortable. try to book one overlooking the pool for the extra few dollars as the value overall is excellent. A great breakfast, very convenient to sights and helpful staff. A high level of attention to detail and a friendly spa. The menu for dinner is a bit limited, but most peiople choose to go out, I suspect. Very relaxi9ng stay, thanks!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank 255097Wendy_P
Frankfurt
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The plantation is a large hotel that retains a pleasant set-up around a large pool. The set-up is modern, with rooms rather basic but functional. The a/c was a bit strong but manageable.
We can recommend the cocktails at the poolside bar which will come in your preferred flavours, and typically strong in alcohol. The breakfast selection is quite limited but still adequate. The location is decent but not a plus. Overall we were happy, descriptions as outlined.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike O
Australia
Reviewed January 23, 2013

After staying in Siem Reap for so long in a mediocre hotel, we were actually very pleased with our stay at the Plantation. When we first got into the room we were very delighted with the layout and the four-poster bed with the mosquito net. The bathroom design and layout was also unique and special with large mirrors, which was all very nice.

However... on the first night of our stay our toilet got blocked - and the toilet water overflowed onto the floors (eek I know!!). I rang up the reception, in obvious distress and after half an hour nobody came up to even investigate. I rang up again, not very pleased this time, and finally someone came up to look at the blocked toilet with the dirty water all over the floor. The maintenance guy then successfully unblocked the toilet but when it came to cleaning up the dirty floor contaminated with water that has been contaminated with faecal matter and urine etc - he just wiped it up with a towel!!!!! Then after that he told us - there, it's done! I was so shocked and asked someone to clean the floors with a mop or change us to a different room but of course he doesn't speak much English. I then went to the reception in person and asked for a different room but they couldn't help me because the hotel was fully booked. While this all happened another cleaning up person had come to the room to clean up the mess and he showed up with another towel! He then saw that the toilet was all dry and said there was nothing to clean!! In the end someone did come with a mop but I wasn't happy with this level of cleanliness and how little was done in terms of disinfecting the toilet.

The next day we were changed to a different room and upgraded to a pool room, much to our delight. After that first night, everything else were great. The pool is absolutely amazing with the individual Salas, the massage was really good and the discount was very reasonable. The food at the breakfast buffet was great, some flies here and there but nothing too bad.

So in all, a great experience except for that one night, but they more than made up for it :)

Room Tip: Get a deluxe pool view room, you won't be disappointed! Try to avoid the ones on the ground floo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Egwene
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I have just returned home to Singapore from a long weekend in Phnom Penh, staying at The Plantation, and feel completely refreshed, even though I've been touring a city for 3 days! It is a real oasis in the middle of the city - I can't fault this hotel! My boyfriend and I would not normally spend so much on accommodation, but as it was a special occasion we chose to splash out a little, and it was well worth it! The location is fantastic, just behind royal palace and national museum; the service was impeccable- I have never met such friendly and genuinely helpful staff; the room (we had a double pool view) was large and very comfortable, with a great balcony to sit an take in the night sky; breakfast buffet was far from the normal drab selection you get in SE Asia, with very fresh fruit, tasty breads and even President butter(!) (Plus much more); the food and drinks menu is reasonable and I would recommend all the dishes I had (I'm normally very opinionated when it comes to food!). Specially recommend the passionfruit mojito! I had a massage one evening which was utterly relaxing, and I checked out the gym with good intentions, and wished I'd brought my trainers, as I imagine you would get it to yourself most of the time!
I would most definitely recommend staying or dining at The Plantation, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed January 2013
Sydney
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I arrived late at night and I was received with a lovely refreshment and a nice cool towel when i checked in.

On my first night out in the city, was bitten by mosquitoes and a couple of the bell boys went out of their way to advise me on what to do and/or what to buy to relief my sore bitten legs.

Buffet breakfast was served by the pool and there was plenty to chose from, fresh fruit to French omelette prepared by a chef right in front of you.

My room was tranquil, specious and just lovely decorated, it was perfectly cleaning everyday.

I was out and about during the day so I did not use the pool, however I could see it was very clean.

I stayed at one of the back bedrooms, second floor and wi-fi connection inside the room sometimes cut-off, however it was better from the balcony.

The Plantation was an all round great experience, I highly recommend it, I booked for 3 nights and stayed 5.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo