“A little resort in the city centre”

The Plantation - urban resort & spa
Ranked #14 of 272 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed October 20, 2012

The Plantation is located right in the city centre close to the Royal Palace and the river. As you enter, you walk around a fish and lily pond (with amazingly loud frogs sometimes - but luckily these are not heard in the guest rooms!) and into the reception area which is in the original old French colonial style house. Above the entrance archway is the open air part of one of the two hotel restaurants. The guest rooms are in newer buildings behind the reception area and bar.

The rooms are of a good size with comfortable four-poster beds (in the double rooms) with nets. The bathroom is open style with good water pressure in the separate shower. The toilet is also separate and private. There is lots of space for luggage etc.

The staff are friendly, helpful and flash that lovely Cambodian smile when they see you. Both the poolside restaurant (where we had breakfast and lunch) and the upstairs restaurant serve excellent food. As I was at a workshop, we had a set menu for lunch that had some items I might not have ordered, but what I would have missed! Be adventurous and try a variety of dishes - the food is great with so many subtle tastes. Breakfast has a wide selection but is more Western - there is only one Asian dish - it would be great if they served the local noodle soup for breakfast.

The Plantation's location, friendly smiling staff, great food, comfortable rooms, pool, fitness centre and spa make this hotel a great choice.

Room Tip: Try to get a pool side room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Nigel-Traveller
There are newer reviews for The Plantation - urban resort & spa

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I originally rated this property with 5 stars after my first stay, but have revised my review after a really horrible second stay. Two stars are the average of both.

What you read in the other reviews was true for me the first time: beautiful property, tranquil, helpful staff. My second stay, however, was awful, start-to-finish.

When I arrived they didn't have a room ready (not a big deal) but in spite of their promise, and lots of bored-looking people, no one could seem to store my bags. They said they'd just watch them in the lobby and I could go sit by the pool... but I travel with a lot of expensive photo gear which I didn't want to lug to the pool or leave in the lobby... they apparently have no bag storage area. But, no big deal.

I decided that I'd spend a quiet afternoon editing some photos in the lovely poolside bar, but after 30 min of no service, started getting up to order (5 staff sitting around talking all the while) and the guy told me "You have to leave, we are closing in 10 minutes." OK... they were fogging the pool area for mosquitoes. He pointed toward the front of the hotel and told me to use the other pool area. Only, they'd rented out the other pool area to a film crew, so it also was closed to guests. They directed me to the restaurant upstairs, where there were no staff...no lights on...no anything. Back downstairs. Back upstairs with a woman who said she would serve customers there, and shortly thereafter, all the other people that had been in the pool area, including a lot of wet, screaming kids. Meanwhile, they fogged the pool, and from the restaurant window I could see the fog blow into the second area also, so thick that the film crew were covering their faces and I could smell it strongly through the closed windows. Ugh.

After a (terrible) cocktail and a glass of Prosecco, the waitress told me that they were preparing for dinner and gave me my bill. I had planned on eating there, but she was really rude and in fact had charged me for an entire bottle of Prosecco, not a glass. It took her 20 minutes to remedy that. I asked her what was open in the hotel and she told me "Nothing" but that the front desk could recommend restaurants in the area. I told her that I thought it was rude of her to have me leave and that I'd planned to have another drink and probably dinner. She just said "sorry." Her manager came over and told me that I could sit on the patio (hot, with lots of bugs, overlooking the busy street) and gave me a free glass of Prosecco, which I really appreciated, but the ambiance wasn't great. I then went to my room and couldn't get my door to lock properly without pulling my whole body weight into it. No one ever came to help, even though I asked at the front desk.

That evening I had a spa appointment at the hotel, which I'd scheduled by e-mail a few days before for 8 PM, and called that day to add foot reflexology at 7. Both people I spoke with repeated that back to me. I'd scheduled 2.5 hours of treatments total, but... when I went to the spa the woman told me that she only had an hour available and I had to choose one or the other. Another customer was in the same situation, they were apparently triple-booked. She sent me to the front desk, and the manager called and then told me: "OK, she can do it" (presumably because the other man also walked away) but I was so put off by the experience and the attitude that I opted to try my luck with another spa. I went to Bodia, who took me immediately, and it was *blissful.*

The bottom line: It's good as long as there are no problems, but poorly organized and often rude when they do not. It's really an expensive place for Phnom Penh, and should have much better management to avoid these kinds of problems.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank onimity
thepavilion, Owner at The Plantation - urban resort & spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Many thanks for your honest review. I am very sorry that all went wrong during your stay at the Plantation. Your review has been printed and will be shown to all the front desk, maintenance and bar staff. I fully agree that things like this should have been solved smoothly - as I can assure you that they are most of the time.

We will hold meetings this week with the different departments to make sure series of failures like this one happens again.

I hope you still managed to enjoy your stay in Phnom Penh as it really is a very pleasant city.

I hope to have you again at the Plantation and and that you will give us the opportunity to make it up with your last stay.

Cheers,

Alexis (owner)

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Upon arrival the staff were welcoming and friendly. We were both tired from an arduous bus journey so once shown to our room, we were left alone to explore. The pool and bar were our first stop which was lovely sitting on cabana- type havens as they were private and peaceful. Massages in the spa were fantastic. Again, the staff were lovely and friendly and had great hands that worked their magic on tired backs, necks and limbs. I would certainly recommend the resort for its functionality, friendly staff and central location.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The hotel is beautifully designed and the staff was very friendly, welcoming and efficient.

However, I have to say that this hotel is not very well run/managed.

Apparently, the heavy rain was not well considered in the hotel design. It was raining heavily the day we arrived and the corridors to the rooms were wet and slippery.

The next day when we went to the pool side bar from our rooms for breakfast, we had to use an umbrella, as some area was not covered with awaning and it was raining heaveily again.

The light of the toilet in our room didn't work and since we only stayed for 1 night, we didn't bother to get it fixed. The shower pressure was not strong enough and the water was a bit cold. I took shower in the evening, the water was cold and my bf took shower the next morning, the water was still cold.

The breakfast was a disappointment. Very few choices, and I saw flies over the food! It was a big turn-off so I only ordered the freshly made omelette withtout the fly's kisses!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is an excellent small hotel with 60 rooms around a pool and gardens and 10 rooms looking into walls and old adjacent buildings. Service is good, staff well trained ,food is good,particularly breakfast (at the pool ) and hotel is near to Royal palace and the riverfront (USD1- in a tuktuk).
The hotel sometimes has 50% discount late offers for rooms that look out to the side of an old building which we took and net cost including taxes and service was Euro 45- per night double including buffet breakfast.................very good value. The view did not worry us , we just went down and sat by the pool !! Five star hotel for Euros 45- all in , is amazing .

Room Tip: Specify a room with pool view or get a decent discount for a view of an old building next door.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ken H
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights with a group and came away very impressed with both the standard and value for money.

It's firmly in the boutique hotel category, nice classic decor , plenty of greenery with the centrepiece being the decent sized pool and adjoining restaurant. Although it does have another restaurant, found it difficult to leave the great poolside ambience. No street noise at all, very relaxing.

Some things could be a little better, the standard rooms have a 'view' of a brick wall about a metre away and the layout of the bathroom is a little strange . However, these are not big things and rooms was very clean and well looked after.

Food was very good, though not especially cheap whilst staff were all very friendly and service was fine.

I'd stay here again if I came back to Phnom Penh.

Room Tip: Get one of the rooms with view of pool, on the inside to avoid one with the brick wall view,
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mupple
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Beautiful reception with a big fountain sorounded by plants (same as shown in pictures). Long walking distance to our room because it was the very last at the end of several corridors. About the room, pros: sapacious // cons: didn't like the distribution of the "bathroom" with the lavatory in the room and a shower without door, very modern but not as practical; the front of the room was a wall to wall and roof to floor window wich served as well as room´s entrance, it felt like being inside a shop exhibitor, although covered with blackout curtains, it didn´t trasmitted a sensation of privacy.
Brakfast; standard.
Pool & suroundings: beautiful and long pool, with comfortable and trendy sofas.
Summary: The hotel seemed nice but probably we got the ugly room.....

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple