“Great luxury hotel”

Ranked #7 of 269 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Oslo, Norway
“Great luxury hotel”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

The Sofitel in Phnom Penh is a beautiful and confortable luxury hotel. The rooms have beautiful wooden floors, the scent of jasmine fills every room, the staff is very helpful and friendly and the swimming pool is an oasis in the heat of Cambodia. I used the hotel for a business trip and would really recommend it to anyone traveling to Cambodia and who can afford this hotel. It also has a business center with computers and a printer which is very useful. There is of course Wifi throughout the hotel. The restaurants in the hotel are expensive and so is the bar but that can be expected in a luxury hotel. The breakfast is one of the best breakfast buffets I have ever experienced. You can eat pretty much anything for breakfast and highlights include fresh fruit, juice, smoothies, warm meals, and even a chocolate fountain! The hotels is not located in the tourist center but it is a short tuktuk drive away!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Charles-Henri C, General Manager at Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for this great review. I am delighted to hear that you were very satisfied by our hotel elegance, our ambassadors’ friendliness and our large choice of amenities. It is also very encouraging to get positive comments about the breakfast buffet as our culinary team goes above and beyond to offer the best experience to our guests. We hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you again very soon in Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra and its restaurants.

Charles-Henri Chevet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My first impression when you walk into the lobby were very good. Nice large open space with suitable furnishings and staff to give it a wow factor.

4 of us were travelling together and staying, so as we approached the reception to check in, we were directed to take a comfortable seat while the person checked us in. This was nice, however it also took longer than you would normally expect. The reason being, while there were 3, or 4 staff behind the counter at reception, the one staff member processed us all individually. It would have been more efficient to have the other staff members assist, as they did not appear to be doing anything?

We also received a cool welcome drink and cool towel, which was a very nice touch and well received.

Based on some recent helpful reviewers, I requested a room away from the construction happening next door. Unfortunately the hotel could not help me out as all the other rooms were taken... probably thanks to Tripadvisor :-). In the end they did provide me a high floor (level 10), to keep me further from the construction zone. In the morning when I woke, I could hear muffled construction noise, but not enough to wake me from my sleep.

The room was very good with a nice layout. It took me a few seconds to work out how to get into the toilet as it behind a glass wall, which was actually a glass door!

I phoned for a steam iron and ironing board and it took a few attempts for house keeping to fully understand my request, but sure enough, after 10 minutes I got what I requested.

In the morning I did go for the Buffet Breakfast. This worked to about $31 USD once you added on the various taxes. It was nice, but not $31 USD nice.

The location was only ok, but I prefer another hotel, near to the river front that allows you easier access to walk around town. Where as from the Sofitel, the road is quite busy and dark at night.

The hotel and service were great, but overpriced for Phnom Penh.

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that your check-in was longer than usual, but am however glad to know that you received our special attentions with our welcome drink and refreshing towels.
I would like to let you know that the construction will be finished soon and therefore Sofitel will return to its usual peace and calm with its large surrounding gardens.
I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you again very soon at Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The only reason I can not give this hotel 5 stars is because of the construction that was happening next door. It ran 24 hours a day and there was just no avoiding the noise of the jackhammers.
Food was fantastic and had a huge variety. Internet access was fast and cheap. Lots of restaurants to choose from within the hotel grounds.
Staff were friendly as well.

Room Tip: Avoid staying on the side of the hotel next next to the construction site if possible.
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your comments and to apologize for the noise coming from the construction site, which will come to an end within a few weeks. I am however glad to learn that you enjoyed our gastronomy and our ambassadors’ friendliness. I hope we will welcome you very soon as Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Stayed here twice now and both visits have been perfect. A liitle outside the centre but worth it as rooms are excellent and the food in particular is great. The hotel also has a great gym which is the only one that I am aware of in P P. Only complaint is that there is a massive construction site next door which was quite noisy as they work late and start early. If staying make sure you request to be on the other side of the hotel away from this.

Room Tip: Stay away from the building site
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Charles-Henri C, General Manager at Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for this nice review and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I would like first of all to apologize for noise coming from the construction site, but I am glad that you had a great stay with us and that you particularly enjoyed our gym. I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome again at Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I was traveling with my daughter on a Dragon Air Holiday. We had a very warm welcome and the staff went extra lengths to arrange a very comfortable room for us. We loved the breakfast buffet. The concierge team made booking dinner out twice at Malice and Friends a breeze.
As it was out of season the hotel was quiet, but we felt very well looked after.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Charles-Henri C, General Manager at Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you were very well taken care of by our ambassadors and that they guided you in discovering Phnom Penh. Thank you for your comments on the breakfast buffet, it is very encouraging for us to get excellent feedback like this one. I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you very soon at Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra.

Potomac, MD
Reviewed September 21, 2013

The Sofitel is an excellent hotel with a very attentive and friendly staff. I would consider a five star rating except that a shopping mall is being constructed next to the hotel and construction goes on at all hours and can both disturb your sleep and working time in the room. Until construction is completed, insist on an even numbered room.

This is a classy hotel with large well appointed rooms, good restaurants and a very attentive staff. the hotel has nice views and, other than the neighboring construction is in a quiet neighborhood. It exudes European elegance. That said if you are looking for a bustling hotel with an active bar scene, within walking distance of restaurants, bars, offices or tourist sites this is not the place to stay. However, if you want a quiet elegant place to return to after a day of work or touring this is definitely the place to stay.

Room Tip: Choose an even numbered room.
1 Thank StevePotomac_MD
Charles-Henri C, General Manager at Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice review. First of all, I apologize for the noise you experienced coming from the construction site beside the hotel, I am however glad to hear that you had a nice stay and enjoyed our hotel elegance as well as our restaurants. I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you very soon at Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra.

Spain
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Fantastic stay at Sofitel Phnom Penh. Three-night stay for business purposes. The staff are wonderful, so incredibly attentive, professional and friendly. The room a perfect balance between colonial wooden style and modern comforts. Large bathroom very nicely designed and set out, lovely amenities. Excellent spa. I was there for work and I didn't want to leave! This is the best Sofitel I have stayed in, if not one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. First class all round.

• Stayed September 2013
Charles-Henri C, General Manager at Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for this great review and for sharing your experience with us. I am glad to hear that your stay was fantastic from the beginning to the end. I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you again very soon so that you enjoy another Magnifique stay with us!