“Not worth it, unless the company is paying”

Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra
Ranked #6 of 270 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stay in hotels all over Phnom Penh and the world. Yes, the Sofitel is one of the best hotels in PP, but is it worth an extra $150 over other hotels? Probably not from my experience. The gardens still have a way to grow so the pool is in the blistering sun - not great for kids. They only had one type of non-supportive pillow in the room which was uncomfortable (I usually travel wit my own, so I'm a bit precious with pillows). Need to catch a tuk tuk everywhere. I think this hotel will be awesome in 5 years time once the new shopping centre opens and the garden is more established. Until then I'll stay at the boutique 4.5 star hotels around town.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Charles-Henri C, General Manager at Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review and feedback. I do regret to hear that we did not live up to your expectations. Certainly the gardens on our premises still have some growing to do until perfect and indeed the nearby area will be more attractive once the shopping is completed. I do apologize for the inconvenience caused by this during your visit, and I hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us at a later point in time. With regards to the pillows in the room, in fact we do have a pillow menu, where our guests have the ability chose whatever support they need. Please do remind us of this for your next stay and we would be happy to provide you whatever you desire. We all hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back one day.

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Good hotel, food was great! Pool a bit dirty due to construction next door. My finger got a cut due to pool tiles a bit sharp. The pool area is a bit dark and floor can be slippery. Room ceiling got cobweb.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review. I am glad to hear that your had a good stay our restaurant facilities. I will make sure to review the cleanliness issues that you mention with the team. Thank you again for the feedback.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed at Sofitel Phnom Penh for three nights as part of a ten day trip to Cambodia. The hotel is smart, beautiful and immaculate. The staff kind and welcoming. Restaurant manager Flurin was particularly helpful and provided us with personal contacts ahead of our trip to Siem Reap. The in-house restaurants were all excellent, and good value for money. The main pool area could get busy at times, so the second pool near the gym was a great find. The highlight of our stay was the Sunday champagne brunch - five star buffet and unlimited Billecarte-Salmon champagne for a bargain price. We stayed at Raffles Phnom Penh for the second part of our stay and found it much stuffier and markedly more expensive. In fact, we opted to make the trip across town from Raffles back to the Sofitel on our last Sunday just to do the brunch again. Great experience, great hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed on the side next to the building construction and didn't find it a problem at all.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Elisa D

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review about your stay at the Sofitel Phnom Penh. I am very glad to hear that you had such a positive experience at the hotel. I’m particularly happy to hear that you enjoyed dining & drinking in all our restaurants. To the fact that you made it all your way across town from the Raffles to join our Sunday Brunch for a SECOND time I can only say: Wow! That is an amazing point of recognition to the culinary and service team in La Coupole. I will make sure your kind words are passed on to them. Thank you again for the feedback, we would all love to welcome you back to the Sofitel Phnom Penh one day.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I had 2 stays at Sofitel during January and February. Service was exceptional. We were greeted with lemongrass scented cold cloths and iced lemongrass tea on arrival. The room was clean and tidy and the corridors also smelt of lemongrass. Very refreshing after 3 weeks in regional Cambodia! Spent some time by the pool which was clean and lovely to swim in. Breakfast buffet offered an excellent choice of food with something for everyone from rice to waffles. We also ate at the Italian restaurant which was very good, although I thought a little overpriced.
Although the hotel is not right in the thick of it all it is only a short tuk tuk ride away and we met some very friendly tuk tuk drivers who were always waiting at the bottom of the driveway.
My only complaint is the terrible music that is played poolside. The best of Richard Clayderman (I think?) on repeat was a bit much! However that aside I would recommend if you want a 5 star experience with great service and the cleansing scent of lemongrass.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Pisces_lad

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review about your stays at the Sofitel Phnom Penh in January and February. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and appreciated the lemon grass scent throughout the hotel. I am also happy to hear that liked both dining & drinking at the hotel. Regarding the music, at the poolside, I do appreciate your feedback and will make sure something else is played during your next visit!

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed at this Hotel after a wonderful 11 day tour of Cambodia. I cant agree with the previous reviews as we had a WONDERFUL stay. The room was lovely, the food great but the best asset at this hotel is the staff. We did not find one that wasn't excellent!!!Nothing was a trouble at all. If i could make one suggestion , I think that the Hotel could introduce a more Khmer feel, with local backgroud music etc.

As we had stayed in the country , in a variety of accommodation styles, I feel the detractors should look around them and be grateful.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tonilab

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review. I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay at the Sofitel Phnom Penh and very proud of the team after hearing your great feedback about our hotel ambassadors. Such feedback is certainly what makes all our hard work worthwhile and is a source of encouragement and motivation for everyone. I would also like to thank you for your interesting remarks regarding the interior and ambiance of the hotel; it will definitely be taken into consideration. We all very much look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Phnom Penh.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Erin163521

Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Was so disapointed with is supposed 5 star hotel. Room rates are expensive and so is everything else on top. This was such low value for money as breakfast wasn't included, the rooms and amenities are what you'd expect from a lower value hotel. They put slippers out at night next to the bed which were well worn and dirty, it was so disgusting I didn't even want to touch them to move away from the bed.

We booked and paid direct online with the hotel for two adults and one child, however once we arrived they told us we had to pay another US $35 per night extra plus taxes for the child! We wanted to walk straight out, we were so angry, the hotel was quite a way from everything, had a building site next door and had zero atmosphere.

Once we got to the room despite being guaranteed either a river view or city view we got a view of the building site. Maybe because we complained at check in about the hidden charges.

When we checked out and were asked about our stay, we were pleasant but honest, but it was a waste of time saying anything as the staff didn't care, they just ask because they have to, not because they are interested.

I would not recommend anyone stay here. We saw many more places which were beautiful, friendly and great value for money.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Nicsadviser

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Naturally I highly regret to hear that you had such an unsatisfying stay with us that did not meet your expectations at all. I will try to address some of the issue that you mention. Firstly, regarding the fact that breakfast and an extra person in the room was not included in your room rate; this is something that we try to be very transparent with during the online booking process, on both our own and other travel agents websites. I would very much like to get in touch and discuss further where and when you made your booking to be able to find out more. Secondly, I completely understand your frustration with the dirty slippers, this should not be allowed to happen. I will personally review our processes with the Director of Housekeeping. Finally, I am sorry to hear about your disappointment with the view from your room. Unfortunately the river-side view is currently also overlooking a construction site. The nearby area will be much more attractive once the building is completed in a few months. Again, I do apologize for all the unfortunate events you experienced during your stay, and as I said I would like to get in touch to hear the details and find a way to make this up to you. Please do feel free contact me directly on h6526-gm@sofitel.com. If you do decide to return to us one day, I will personally see to that you will be compensated and receive the personalized first class service that we are known for.