“Nice and valauble”

Ranked #6 of 269 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
“Nice and valauble”
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Nice room as all Sofitel are around the world. Front Manager and Coffee Shop assistant Manager are kindness in talking and chat. But I advise the hotel should have shuttle bus for in and out. I need to pay for one trip in or out for outgoing to city USD5-6 each by motobike!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Sutep L
FDeman, Resident Manager at Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra, responded to this review, June 18, 2011
Dear Madam, dear Sir,

Thank you for your genuine positive feedback and we are glad you chose Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra, we look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Best regards,
Frederik Deman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 8, 2011

This hotel is a true relection of 5 stars. Everything from the warm welcome to the housekeeping staff was excellent. I cannot fault this hotel at all. I was originally only going to stay for 3 nights and changed my plans to stay another 7 nights because this hotel was perfect. Breakfast was amazing with a fantastic selection of western and local cuisine. But what make this hotel special is the service which is often a disapointment in other 5 star hotel around the world. I have travelled extensively and worked in hotels for over 20 years and this hotel is the best I have ever stayed in. I am truely amazed by the product and service. It is a must stay while in Phnom Penh.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tones1607
Dear Madam, dear Sir,

I thank you very much for taking the time to share the memorable experience you have had at Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra during your recent visit to Cambodia.
I have shared your genuine feedback with all our Ambassadors and placed your review on the notice board at the entrance of the Ambassadors restaurant. Your comment truly served as an encouragement to all of our Ambassadors as we strive to exceed a high quality of service to all of our guests.

Please don't hesitate to reach out to me personally before your next arrival so I can assure your second stay is a real five star as well! You can always contact me on H6526-GM1@Sofitel.com

melbourne
Reviewed June 7, 2011

I was looking forward to staying at this hotel after reading some of the reviews. Unfortunately it did not live up to expectations. We had previously stayed at the Park Hyatt in Saigon, and La Verandah in Phu Quoc, so had up until this time had wonderful hotel experiences.
On the surface the hotel looks impressive, but it is exactly that - surface.
There are virtually no hotels now that do not offer free wi-fi, but the Sofitel does not. They charge $3 US an hour to log on which is pretty ridiculous when all most people want to do is check their emails and get off. Also almost every restaurant or cafe in Phnom Penh or Saigon offers free wifi for the price of a coffee. So for the hotel you are staying at and paying good money for not to provide that service seems pretty petty and ungenerous. They are also doing themselves a diservices as it meant we had to go out to restaurants in town to check our emails when we might have eaten at the restaurants in the hotel.
The water pressure was pulsating a lot while we stayed there. My husband said it was the result of an inadequate pump, but I'm not absolutely sure that was the case. The temperature was never hot enough.
There was little if any artwork in the rooms, and what there was was very tacky and minimal.
The pillows were extremely thin feather down and very uncomfortable.
The walls and floors were thin and we could hear people walking above us and moving next door.
The tv was volume limited obviously for the above problem.
There were no long mirrors in the main area of the room.
The cleaners moved my things when they were cleaning and did not put it back, they had placed it on a shelf out of the way, but it took me ages to find it again.
A cleaner was "inspecting" our room when I came back from the pool, but was not "cleaning" anything and had the tv on when I had turned it off before I left. She apologized, turned it off and left the room.
There was no regular door man to advise of tuk tuks or prices. Most other hotels will organize a tuk tuk, and suggest a price that is reasonable. There seemed to be no-one with this particular job and on one occassion I asked the man who was there how much we should pay to where we were going, he said he didn't know. Then when I tried to negotiate with the driver they were both laughing at me.
The pool is in a wasteland. Its a massive pool, but at the back of the hotel and there is nothing pretty around it, but wide open expanse of building sites everywhere. It is also mostly unattended.
Overall this hotel is claiming to be what it clearly is not - 5 star. I expect much more from a 5 star hotel in this price range.
It is 3 star pretending. It is all show and no substance. You do not leave feeling that you have been a valuable customer, you only feel that they have had the last laugh.
Additionally this hotel is in the middle of no where. You cannot walk out of your hotel and go to restaurants, cafes, etc.
I hated it and tried to change hotels but because we'd booked through a company we could not.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank lanihannah
FDeman, Resident Manager at Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra, responded to this review, June 11, 2011
Dear Madam, dear Sir,

I am truly disappointed to read your review online and I am so sorry that your experience was not up to your expectations. I understand the hindrances and frustrations you have been through and we apologize for these occurrences.

The benefits of our location, style and overall comfort are comments we get time and time again since our short history, as well compliments to our team for overall cleanliness and excellence in service.

Thank you again for your very important feedback that has been shared with the entire executive team and we look forward to have the chance to welcome you again and to enjoy the many ongoing updates to our hotel.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally before your next visit at H6526-GM1@Sofitel.com

With best regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2011

The hotel is immaculately clean and being new everything is in good order. The staff are excellent, very friendly and my first name was used throughout my 4 day stay. The hotel has excellent facilities, the Spa was good and efficient, with well designed individual spa rooms. Although I did not try all the restaurants, there was a choice of Japanese, Italian, Chinese and Buffet Style. The food in general was excellent, fresh and well prepared, the buffet had a good selection, although still offering "low cost" food items like pastas and noodles, not much high end selection like steaks, lamb, lobster, oysters etc - however they do offer special evenings buffets with more selections. I used the limousine service to and from the airport as well as for half a day, this was an excellent option and well worth the cost. The room service was very good, quickly prepared and well presented, I was disappointed with the "real" Italian pizza" which lacked any flavor and was like eating cardboard (not that i have eaten cardboard before). As with some other comments here, the location is still developing and there is a lot of building work in the area, it is not an easy location if you wish to walk out directly on to the street in to the city center. My only real complaint was that why does such a new hotel not design adjoining room doors that are sound proofed? I could here every word from the next room, very disappointing, so make sure your room is not adjoining. This is a wonderful hotel and I am sure in a very short time will be the best hotel in Cambodia, I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank s_pearceHoChiMinh
Dear Madam, dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your review online as we take your feedback seriously. We thank you for giving us the opportunity to improve and at the same time we are delighted to hear your desire to return.
I have shared the details of your experience with the entire hotel, including our Italian Chef, and apologize for the disappointment with our ''real Italian pizza''. We will use your feedback to ensure that a similar occurrence does not reoccur.

Thank you again and do not hesitate to reach out to me personally before your next visit at Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra.

With very best regards,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 29, 2011

We felt very welcome in this beautiful new sofitel. The staff was more then friendly, the food superb and the atmosphere was warm and inviting.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank TecLine
FDeman, Resident Manager at Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Dear Madame,

Thank you for sharing your experience!
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and our food. As well your positive comments on our Ambassadors is much appreciated, it really makes the team feel good when their contributions are recognized.

We look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

With best regards,
Brussels
Reviewed May 27, 2011

We stayed at the Sofitel in the capital of Cambodia for 3 nights. This hotel is brand new, it just opened 3 months before our stay (May 2011), and is definitely the best hotel in Phnom Penh. Sofitel did a hell of a job with this wonderful property, and the management of the hotel an incredible job into training his Cambodian staff into luxury service!

The hotel feels like a small cozy village where you can walk around, a bright and huge lobby, 4 restaurants (delicious food and an amazing breakfast buffet), 2 pools, 2 gyms, tennis & squash courts, 2 shops (one with souvenirs and one with chocolates)...what did I forget? We spent half a day at the pool and even got a 15min complimentary foot massage!

If you are staying in Phnom Penh, spoil yourself and go to the Sofitel, and you will regret if you only stay 1 night!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
FDeman, Resident Manager at Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra, responded to this review, May 28, 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your experience! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and our complimentary foot massage at the hotel pool. Our Ambassadors enjoys it when we get a positive review because it reinforces that they did a good job and like working here.

We look forward to having you as our guests in the near future.

Kirkby Stephen, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2011

This was the final stop on our tour of Vietnam and Cambodia and having been told en-route how good the hotel was my husband and I had high expectations. We were NOT disappointed! O.K. the red carpet that was out was not for us (only the Vietnamese Prime Minister!) but we felt like royalty from the minute we arrived. Whilst the checking in process was being carried out , we sat and enjoyed a complimentary drink and were greeted by the Manager -Frederik Deman who invited us to contact him personally should anything not meet our approval. Throughout our entire tour we stayed in 5 star hotels and although the others were great, this was the cherry on the top!

Having enjoyed the city tour we could not wait to get back to the beautiful pool and enjoy a swim and cold beer served by very attentive staff. In addition, we both took advantage of the free leg and foot massage which was very relaxing and carried out by two gorgeous young ladies from the Spa.

As this was the end of our trip, we had had our fill of Asian food and as the hotel room was so comfortable and relaxing we ordered room service which arrived promptly and was delicious. Breakfast was an absolute delight, the choice amazing, scrambled egg cooked to order and delivered to the table. I cannot fault this hotel for comfort, service and facilities. The staff without exception were friendly, helpful and made us feel so welcome. Although there is quite a bit of development work underway around the hotel and across the river, this did not impact upon us at all. I can only imagine in time the outlook will improve and become more attractive.

We were at the hotel on Easter Sunday and the staff had arranged an Easter Egg Hunt after lunch for all the visiting children that were dining with their parents. Great fun to watch!

If only we had more time we would have loved to have stayed longer and ventured out on our own but that will have to be next time.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gill541208
Dear Madam, dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your genuine positive feedback and to learn that Sofitel Phom Penh Phokeethra was your favorite 5-star hotel during your holidays in Vietnam and Cambodia.

We are delighted to know that you found your stay memorable and that you enjoy returning to stay with us. We are also happy to know that the complimentary spa treatment you received at our hotel pool were a soothing experience that assisted you to relax and enhance your stay with us.

We all look forward to welcome you back.