“Excellent stay!”

Ranked #7 of 265 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Excellent stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2011

Great staff and so friendly, all restaurants are now open and finished but lobby looks still empty. Try the buffet for lunch that was delicious in their main restaurant. Service and view at the Club Floor is excellent as well. I would go back what will happen soon.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2011

The staff are very courteous and can help for whatever I request. Very new and nicely decorated. I can recommend it to anyone both business and pleasure.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2011

Everybody in Phnom Penh is a lot kinder and more helpful then Siem Reap - this also shows at the Sofitel.
As wonderful as the facility is, and it is first class, from the quality of the linens and furnishings to the appearance and large size of the rooms, the staff genuinely demonstrates concern amd care for their guests' well-being. This is reflected in their responsiveness, concern amd friendliness in every encounter we had from check-in to room service, doorman and the club lounge. Their competency in doing things correctly and on-time is also noted.

• Stayed February 2011
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2011

Immaculate 5* hotel (you may get some comments from taxi drivers / tuk tuks to the effect of ooooh you're saying at a 5* hotel). Over the top lobby, room is not especially large but is clean and modern. Bed is extremely comfortable, flat screen TV, complimentary macarons, all made for a great experience. Bathroom has an odd layout (separate "stalls") and ugly floor tile, but functionally was fine with a great rain shower head / hot water pressure.

Check-in was a tad slow but that's to be expected as they have to photocopy your passports. We were also escorted up to our room and shown the amenities, which was a bit unnecessary - I always find this superfluous as anyone can figure out the hotel room themselves. They also asked for my e-mail address and signed me up for their Accor loyalty program without my permission, but not a big deal.

Great concierge service, arranged for bus tickets / tuks tuks / etc at regular prices.

Highly recommend the food at the 'chocolate' cafe inside the hotel - hats off to their french pastry chef. Pain au chocolate just as good, if not better, than in paris, and macarons at 50 cents each which can't be beat.

Main downsides are the expense (~$150+ in phnom penh is a bit ridiculous) and the location isn't fantastic for tourists (<5 min taxi / tuk tuk ride to the center of town, but not necessarily walkable as the concierge mentioned it wouldn't be a great idea to walk outside near the hotel at night). Also next to a construction site of a high rise, so the surroundings are lacking, but no noise from the construction.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Luang Prabang, Laos
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2011

We arrived at this property fully expecting to experience some of the teething problems often experienced when staying at a new hotel, and write this bearing it in mind.

Check in was ponderously slow, no queue, just the staff getting to grips with thier procedures. We were shown to our room by a guest services manager who tried to explain the workings of the room omitting the use of the A/C which is a slightly complicated wall mounted system (not remote)

One of the first things we noticed was the lack of drawer handles on the furniture. Pieces of cling film had been looped round the holes to providee rudimentry handles. Room size in the deluxe room was fine, not oversize but neither small either. After unpacking and settling in the standard of finish supplied by the builders became evident. Without going in to too much detail I am surprised that the management signed off on it. Split dado rails, missing and chipped paint, paint that was so thin you could see the wood through it and a missing bit of plaster above the toilet.

Room cleanliness was poor, I fail to see how housekeeping could have checked this room and found it suitable for sale. Windows, mirrors doors all coated with builders muck Beds were comfortable,linens fine. Bathroom is a wet room affair, not to my taste but fine. The room safe did not work nor did the mini bar. It took the maintainance staff four visits over two days to fix. Each time we left the hotel we had to take all valuables to reception, count up all monies, and get them locked into the safe, this performance desended into chaos as the staff did not understand when my wife went to retrieve our items as nobody knew where they had been put or who to ask to find them.

Breakfast buffet was well laid out, good presentation and selections of foods. I had a juice, coffee,100g of fruit and a small pho $25.00++ Whilst I could of eaten what I liked for this sum,I would recommend asking for a menu if you prefer a lighter breakfast.

Gym was well appointed, TVs over the running equipment but no headphones offered. No changing rooms available at this time either.

Pool area was a nice space with good loungers and full sun all day. Pool staff (in common the world over) were happy to do little or nothing but talk loudly with the staff who were trying to clean up the areas around the pool. The second of the advertised pools is to the front of the hotel in a seperate complex that I imagine has been built to serve pool and gym subsciptions locally.

Bar staff were curteous though the cocktails ordered by myself and my guests were poor.
One might make the argument that One should not expect great, or even good cocktails in Cambodia, But if the hotel choses to serve them at somewhat ambitious prices, then they should perhaps train the person to make them. Smoking is not permitted in the bar or lounge- -or pretty much anywhere else so a request for a box of matches was a tad tricky for the staff who eventually "loaned" me some on condition I gave them back.

Room service breakfast was one of the bleakest moments of our stay. Having ordered eggs Benedict for two at 0900 room service delivered 15 minutes early. wheeling in the trolley the waiter pulled out a pair of cold poached eggs on a mini sweet yet hard burger bun. layered under the eggs was what would best be described as a wad of cold Tesco value wafer ham. It could'nt get much worse but it did. Instead of Hollandaise sauce on top of the eggs the kitchen= which had shown some promise up to now as one department which had got its act together, poured on a melted butter and split egg yolk
mix which formed a deep pool for the eggs to float in. Juice was good though.

Check out was quick and efficient but would of been better if the front desk or porters could have heard the phone ringing above the noise of the pianists notes echoing or careering accross hard stone walls and floors of reception. Three calls unanswered so I thought I would bring my own luggage down.

Had anyone at the hotel enquired I would of put these points to them. They choose not to. I paid the bill in full and resolved not to do another brand new hotel again as it was pretty much the same story at the Interconti Saigon the year prevously.

This could be a good hotel, its a nice property All hotels are about the detail, but this one failed by inviting members of the public to come in with their hard earned cash and show them where they are failing. On that basis I can not recomend this hotel yet. Pay the money and go to Raffles or pay a lot less and go to one of the smaller hotels that sink or swim by reputation.

Ps the location imho was good, qiuet and just a few minutes from town.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
FDeman, Resident Manager at Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra, responded to this review, February 26, 2011
Dear Madam, dear Sir

Thank you sincerely for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor, following your recent stay with us during the soft-opening of Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra. We truly value your opinion, as it is from your complimentary and constructive feedback that we will be able to improve our service and product delivery.

I am truly sorry that your experience did not fully meet your expectations and I can assure you that we have immediately taken the necessary measures with the respective department heads in order to prevent any future occurrence.

We appreciate your valuable advice on this website and are continuously working on improvements! I am sure that you will give Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra a second chance in the future. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me in advance on email H6526-GM1@sofitel.com so that we can be sure to make your next experience a wow!

Frederik Deman
Resident Manager
Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2011

Althought further improvements were still going on (the Japanese restaurant wasn't open yet) service already was top quality compared to the rest we saw in Cambodia. Friendly staff. Really excellent Italian restaurant. Great footmassage at the pool. Wonderful buffet breakfast.
We were welcomed by the Belgian hotel manager Mr De Man, a very service minded guy and fully enjoyed the hospitality of this new hotel.
Because the hotel is new, tuktuk's in town, still need some help to find the place. So take the hoteladdress with you when you go out.

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

I felt so much rewared by your positive feedback that I shared it with our whole Team right away. As we truly have a passion for our Guests we take care of them with all of our heart.
We try and look into each and every detail to turn your stay perfect.

I apologise for the inconvenience caused due to the non-availability of one of our restaurants during your stay. In the meantime our Japanese restaurant HACHI opened and it got off to a great start.

I sincerely thank you for mentioning our high standard of service, in particular in DO FORNI, our Italian restaurant and our So SPA at the hotel pool.

Once again, thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor and for recommending our hotel. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra, hopefully in the near future.

Frederik Deman