“Best bar!!!”

Top Banana Guesthouse
Belgrade, Serbia
“Best bar!!!”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

We havent slept there, but can say that the bar is absolutely amazing, above the street with great views. Lots of character and interesting people. Food was great, in quality and amount - a concern throughout southeast asia as portions tend to be rather small

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Khao Lak, Thailand
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I wish I could review this hostel, but sadly I was unable to get a room even though I emailed 3 times over the 3 weeks prior to my arrival, using the email address they listed on their website. I tried calling from Thailand (where I live) but kept getting the pre-recorded Cambodian message that it wouldn't go through, so I waited until I arrived in Cambodia before calling to confirm the reservation. (I do realize that I probably typed in something wrong while calling from Thailand, but the email address listed should've worked just fine...)

They hadn't heard of me, didn't have any space available, and weren't able to recommend any other hostels. Since they were booked, I was looking for another place to call and find a room, and they had no suggestions for places 1) in the area OR 2) in the same budget range. I wasn't even looking for a budget hostel at that point, just somewhere to stay! All in all, a very disappointing experience.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 6, 2012

The Top Banana was one of the lesser quality guest houses i stayed in during my trip.
For instance, my room had basically no sound proofing at all....my window didn't even have glass, it was just a big hole in the wall with bars covering it.
Both of the nights i stayed there i was up until at least 2 in the morning due to the noise from the street, other guests and the bar that was right around the corner.
If i ever stay here again it will only be because everything else (including the fancy hotels) are full.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have traveled through Asia for four months as a solo traveler and this is the worse place for noise and for that encounter with a member of staff - the noise is due to the bar and street - the bar went on til early o clock - the ear plugs must have worked and I dozed off eventually - then at 530am - the cleaning up after the night before started with the radio blaring from somewhere in the building - to say I was woken up unpleasantly is an understatement - I was tired and fed up. I wouldn t stay here again unless they sound proofed the rooms.

The night before I asked a member of staff for a map - he was just rude to me - didn t have a map - couldn t tell me where somewhere was, I should go pay a tuk tuk driver - this is NOT what I expect from somewhere that Lonely Planet calls the TOP CHOICE....

You want to party all night - go for it! Want to sleep? Don t stay here - you ve been warned

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank jocinasia
Chaiyaphum, Thailand
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Great place for a group of mates, unique dorms...all the mattresses are on the floor, may sound strange but does make for a comfortable sleep! Great rooftop bar area and loads of restaurants around! Meet fellow travellers and get around Phnom Penh. Value for money!

• Stayed October 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

After a horrible night at the golden gate hotel a couple doors down, we wandered to top banana and booked a room for 4 nights. What a great 4 nights that was! Met lots of great people, delicious food served all day with good prices as well as great, fun staff that made us feel like we were old friends. Being sick one night i had no trouble sleeping though our room was right next to the bar.the nrxt few nights i enjoyed the bar as a great atmosphere and lots of laughs. Even met the mad monkey manager, todd, who booked my boyfriend and i as well as a solo traveler we are with under his name making sure we will continue the great times in siem reap. The room was a 2 twin beds with aircon, plasma tv and personal bathroom with hot water all for 15bucks between 2 people. Recomend to young travelers looking to have a great time.

• Stayed October 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This is a really good value, fun place to stay. We booked a triple room for $15, which was HUGE, with three double beds, piping hot water in our en suite bathroom, and lovely decoration. This is a bit of a "party hostel", and the bar gets busy at weekends, so it's a good, fun place to meet other backpackers. The hostel is in an excellent location, very close to bars, restaurants and tourist attractions. There's also a bar next door with a swimming pool. We used to hostel's laundry service, which was very good value, and we also sampled the food on more than one occasion - it was all delicious, although maybe a little bit pricey, but probably worth it. Word of warning though - book well in advance, this place is very popular.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends