“Far better places in PP. Don't be fooled by this one”

Top Banana Guesthouse
Reviewed May 20, 2012

The place is basically run as a loud late bar for everyone but the guests. The rooms are an afterthought and the welcome is non existent. I sat at the bar for breakfast each morning and for drinks each evening. Nobody for the staff took a blind bit of notice. There are a handful of hangers on who all congregate at one end in a little clique. To get a beer, a coffee, some breakfast or book a bus, you have to wave your arms around searching for attention. The bar is users as a pick up joint for twenty year olds. Fine if you're a twenty year old desperate for a shag but nothing much else. The rooms are very basic, bed, table and chair and the room I has shared one tiny combined toilet and showr for 5 room, maybe 15 to 20 people. You can't sleep as the bar goes on until the early hours and all the noise in the road wakes you at 6am sombankmon four hours if you're lucky.

Room Tip: Apparently they have a quiter place two blocks away but I'd just get a better hostel.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Nick H

Reviewed May 4, 2012

We stayed here in Oct 2009 and loved it. Great food and good place to meet fellow travellers. Don't come here if you like your own space, it's more for the social butterflies :D Staff can help with onward travel at a great price.

Overall it is a cheap cheap place to stay with fun added for free.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bar unless you plan to stay up with the crowd!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2012

This guesthouse is a nice place to stay at, the rooms are pretty big and the beds to. They are also very comfortable. It's clean and pretty cheap. The only problem we had was that the area is very expensive and noisy. It's next to a big road so you will hear the cars from early morning to late night. But the staffs is kind and the food in the restaurant at the topfloor is good and not so expensive if you compare to the area around.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed February 12, 2012

I had one of the rooms directly attached to the common area (i.e. the bar). The room itself is equipped with a fan, the bed so so, the bathroom likewise. Not the worst place I have stayed in, but certainly underaverage in South East Asia. That said, once at night I was woken up by a fellow traveller by knocking on my door. She informed that water was coming out of my room and basically flooded the whole outside. Reason for this was a broken hose in the bathroom. Obviously, that thing just fell of by itself as I hadn't even used it before.

But the worst thing was the quality of sleep at night. If you offer guests a room just attached to the bar area and swear at check-in that you will shut down the bar at midnight, then it is pretty bad to have loud music pumping until 4.30am (unless you yourself want to join that thing until this time). I was asking twice if there would be a possibility to at least lower the volume, but obviously staying polite was the wrong way and nobody from the staff really cared. Needless to say that there was no partial refund but just laughs the next morning.

This, and the broken hose (which kept me awake just after I finally managed to get some sleep), leaves me no chance but saying that this is certainly not the hostel to stay in PP. The bar is pretty cool and you can meet other travellers there, but it is certainly the only plus of that place. Other than that, sleeping quality (also in the other rooms farer away from the bar, I checked it because I got to know someone who let me check his room in order to have a comparison), general service (e.g. the only computer there is pretty much broken) and friendliness of the staff and especially the young owner is just a joke. He seems to be interested in partying, getting drunk and forget everything (he will of course disagree on this page, but that is it). There are far better places to stay in PP and you can have a good night out without seeing the roof top bar of Top Banana's. Do not stay there.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank ACundM
Reviewed December 3, 2011

The rooms are, on average, pretty basic. I got a fan, bathroom and no windows for $10/night. But what really makes this place special is the rooftop bar. It's a great place to relax, meet new people and make friends.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 26, 2011

This is a late review because I went to Cambodia months ago (March 2011), I believe. I stayed in this guesthouse upon the recommendation of a European man. So I did.

Place is truly great. However, the barmaid? (forgot her name), well, I guess she became very "busy" and forgot the thing I asked for.

In the morning, when I asked for a towel, she was the only person around. No other staff, no tourists roaming around. Just the two of us. Meaning, she was not busy. Still, she said she would do it after I came back from the trip. I asked if I could have a new towel "now", she insisted later. I came back, she just looked at me from her bar tending area. No towel given by her. During my entire stay, I didn't ask for any towel ever. I shall never, ever forget her face.

In any case, I will come back to Top Banana Guesthouse because I liked the place.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Phung-Capvan
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Stayed here a few nights and really liked the room. Not the greatest location as far as proximity to the sites in the city centre go if you're keen on walking but a tuc tuc will only cost you a couple of dollars so not too big a deal. The staff here were all pretty cool and the rooftop restaurant and bar were really cool to hang out in. There was a party there in the bar the 3 nights we were there though and the room was directly below which was great if you were up for a drinking session but not great if you keen to have an early night in.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple