“Stay away from the river... Street 278 is where it's at!”

Top Banana Guesthouse
Reviewed April 21, 2011

I turned up to stay for a couple of nights and left 10 days later! Then I came back, and then I came back again before I realised that that I should probably see some other places on my abandoned Cambodia itinerary...
One of the most sociable hostels I stayed in on a 5 month tour of SE Asia. Fantastic staff, chilled out atmosphere, clean reasonably priced rooms and great food. It can indeed be noisy around the bar area but things normally wind down long before midnight and the party moves elsewhere.
Definitely the best social hub for travellers in Phnom Penh. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Top Banana Guesthouse

Reviewed April 11, 2011

If you are a solo traveler or traveling with a friend and you want to meet people and just have a good time this is the place to stay. True it can sometimes be difficult to sleep if you are on the top floor but the rooms downstairs are much quieter. The party atmosphere at this hostel is contagious and everyone is so wonderfully welcoming. I stayed at the top banana for two nights and met a whole slew of cool people then moved to a different hotel (because they were fully booked for the next few nights and I hadn't reserved a room for more than two) and still came back to this place to hang out at night. My bill for two days including the two meals I ate there per day plus the room for two nights as well as a fair amount of drinks both nights was $46! Can't beat that! The food is really tasty and its easy to get to most places in phnom penh from here. I would highly recommend this hostel to anyone who is outgoing and open to new experiences and looking to make new friends and have good times during their travels.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed April 2, 2011

Sometimes you are lucky, and sometimes you are not...but for me, my stay in Top Banana was very nice :-) Although you had to climb very steep stairs, I really liked to coziness of the place.

The wifi was ok. The food was good and the area was just right and sensible. Mr. Mali was really kind enough to bring us around PP and to arrange for everything we need. I'm just sad that we had to leave in a rush and wasn't able to stick something on the wall (hahaha)! Maybe next time!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 4, 2011

I really liked this place for it's price ($8) a night and it's proximity to all the sights I wanted. The room was clean and small, but so loud til 4 am! It is also a bar, which they blast music all night, it sounded like the party was in our room. I assume they make more from the bar, that's why it's not important how well the guests sleep.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed February 22, 2011

It was EXTREMELY loud at night. I wore ear plugs and it still felt like the music was next to me. My bed was shaking from the bass. We stayed for 3 days, then came back for 1 night a week later. We stayed in the exact same room and they charged us more for the room even after we told them the first price we paid. They said they didn't know the real rate for the room so just guessed.
They also do not help you explore the city at all. No map, no advice of what to do or see. Not a fun place.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank jessinchina
Reviewed January 14, 2011

nice vibe, clean rooms, very friendly staff i think 1 of the guys is called marley hes really cool he brought us to all the sights for a cheap fee, food is great and u meet loads of other travellers in the lounge area! only bad thing is carting the back pack up the flights of stairs at the entrance!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank aidoc
Reviewed January 7, 2011

I stayed here for a week, and this is the place to be in Phnom Phem! Very friendly staff, good value for money, and the Mini Banana's dorm are excellent! 4dollar a night for a brand new dorm is amazing!! Thanks for the boss and his wife for taking us out for some real Cambodian karaoke fun!! :))

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo