“A great place - really nice staff”
Review of the 252

the 252
Ranked #12 of 272 Hotels in Phnom Penh
Reviewed March 1, 2011

My boyfriend and I, started our trip in Asia by staying at the 252 and after a 16 hours flight, we were very happy to have picked this hotel.
They organised a taxi pick-up from the airport. All went smoothly.
We were pleased to find a quiet place away from the buzzing streets of Phnom Penh, welcoming staff and a spotless room. We enjoyed a coco shake by the pool, which seemed open to non-resident, maybe friends of the management?
The only disappointment was the breakfast: a bit on the cheap side, especially considering the lovely food we had later on during our in Cambodia. Didn't eat anything else at the hotel, so can't comment on the other food served.
And the ++ side: the staff - Nice, smiling, helpful, good recommendation of restaurant. Very pleasant.
Location was good you can walk to places if you want to or jump on a tuk-tuk.
Really had a good time there and would definitely good back!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Sophenvadrouille

Dear guest,
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. It was a pleasure to have you with us and we are looking forward to welcome you again next time you visit Cambodia.

There are newer reviews for the 252

Reviewed February 27, 2011

We stayed at the 252 Hotel for two nights.

The room was clean and nicely decorated. During our stay, we did hear some noise from the surrounding neighborhood, and around meal time we could smell some food cooking from a nearby kitchen. Coming from an urban setting in Jakarta myself, this didn't really bother me, but I could see it to be an unexpected and possibly bothersome experience for someone who expected more of a complete isolation from the surroundings.

Location of the hotel is in urban Phnom Penh, but a bit out of the ways from the typical tourist places near the river. It shouldn't be a problem though, as you can find tuk-tuk very easily to take you anywhere in Phnom Penh. For us, this wasn't a problem at all as we had a car and driver already arranged, and our only two excursions at night were to restaurants nearby.

The hotel staff were very helpful during our stay there. When we checked in, we had a little difficulty with the TV and the safe box in the room. When I told the front desk about that, the manager went with us personally to the room to help us and ensure everything was good.

On the second day of our stay, we had a little mix-up with the driver who was supposed to pick us up in early morning. The hotel staff helped us getting in contact with our tour agency, and one of the staff members who were cleaning the pool outside the hotel helped me looking out for our driver, and in the mean time even helped me order a traditional breakfast sandwich from a cart outside the hotel.

On the last day of our stay, we had to leave very early in the morning. Since the hotel restaurant was not open yet at that time, upon our request they prepared for us breakfast boxes with simple breakfast sandwich and fruit assortments to take with us on our journey. Nothing fancy, but definitely appreciated.

One thing to consider however is the location of your room when you book it. Most of the rooms are on the upper floors of the building, and you can only take stairs to go up (I don't think they have elevators). We stayed on the third floor and it wasn't a problem for us, but if you have anyone in your party who might have problem with taking the stairs, you may want to ask specifically for rooms on or closer to the ground floor when you make your reservation.

I would recommend the 252 for anyone looking for a hotel in Phnom Penh.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
6  Thank rsetia67

Reviewed February 22, 2011

Just returned from a trip to Cambodia, Phonm Penh was a 4 night stay at the 252. I will only say...FABULOUS! i had booked a deluxe room with balcony overlooking the pool. I was not dissappointed! The room was fabulous. Clean and modern. I'm sure not everyone would like modern being in Cambodia, but I myself enjoy it.
The pool area was fabulous (nice to chill out with a Tiger beer at the bar with the great staff) Hi guys!
The owner and manager were more than welcoming and happy to help.
I was extremely happy to spend a day at the pool just chilling out after a long day an night out!

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone.
Loved Cambodia!

Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
8  Thank glowgirl

Dear guest,
Thank you for your nice review on TripAdvisor. It was a pleasure to have you with us and we are looking forward to welcome you again next time you visit Cambodia.

Reviewed February 20, 2011

Although it felt a little strange the first time to leave the "real Phnom Penh" behind a huge gate and enter the small world of 252 in Cambodia, after some time in the city, we were happy to do so. A relaxing beer at the pool, loads your batteries and you are again ready to enjoy the beauty of the city!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank lillo81_vienna

Reviewed February 19, 2011

The rooms are lovely, the pool is gorgeous, the whole place is spotlessly clean & the food is good yet it was the least favourite place I stayed during my three weeks in Cambodia. The staff are efficient but lack warmth (with the exception of the lovely smiling cleaning ladies) .... I think a previous review described the place as 'souless' and I can only agree. Phnom Penh is a fantastic city and I will definitely be back but think I will look for a different place to stay next time.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 16, 2011

Stayed here after reading the reviews and was left rather dissappointed.
The room was excellent, very modern and clean. Location not really the best for walking out and about but tuk tuks just outside. I think my disapointment was with the management, for better and quite often worse I prefer to stay in hotels run and managed by Cambodian people when in Cambodia, but if you are looking for a well run westernised hotel in Phnom Penh book here.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Beaubleep
the252, Owner at the 252, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2011

Many thanks for your review. We are sorry to hear that you left our hotel rather disappointed. Although it is true that we try to keep up with Swiss standards when it comes to cleanness and correctness, all our staff is Cambodian, with exception of the two managers being Swiss and French. We would also take the opportunity to mention that parts of the benefit are reinvested in our staff with trainings and language courses.
With regard to the location, even though the tuk-tuks just outside the door will take you anywhere you like, Street 278 with all its bars, restaurants and shop is reachable within a 5 minutes walk.

Reviewed February 10, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in Jan 2011. Overall this hotel is OK. The rooms are spacious and very clean, although not a lot of charm. The beds were rock hard and I woke up stiff every morning. My main disappointment was with our room. We had a twin room, that did not have a balcony (most rooms do have a balcony). Instead of a balcony overlooking the pool like most other rooms, we had a small window overlooking a filthy back alley. We were also woken at 5.30-6.00 every morning from the noise from the building behind which is about 1 metre away from the open whole in the bathroom wall. We were also on the thrid floor, while this was ok for us, it would be hard for people who have trouble climbing stairs (no elevator). Breakfast was OK, nothing flash but enough to fill you. the pool area is very nice and relaxing - the high point of the hotel. Staff were nice enough, but I didnt feel the warmth from them that i did from other Khmer people we came across. While there was nothing especially wrong with this place, I wasnt overly impressed, I might try elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
the252, Owner at the 252, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2011

Many thanks for your review. We are sorry to hear that you were not fully satisfied and left our hotel with mixed feelings.
As mentioned on our website, all deluxe rooms have a balcony overlooking the pool, whereas standard double, twin and triple rooms are at the backside without balcony. Only the two rooms on the ground floor are overlooking a small back alley without view, and each room have a window at less 1.5 m to 1.1m. And even though there is no escalator, our staff will help you to carry your luggage upstairs.
We also would like to apologize for the noise that woke you up in the morning but like in Asia like in other country in the World theneighborhood noise is not under our control but nobody before you complain about so early noise.You should have told us the first morning for we try to solve this.