“average”
Review of Blue Tongue Hotel

Blue Tongue Hotel
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We took 2 of their cheaper rooms. They were just okay rooms - makes sense for the price we paid. The rooms only had a tiny high window each, felt a little stifling but it's bearable since we weren't in the rooms all that often. In fact, this accommodation didn't leave much of an impression compared to the other 2 places we stayed in Cambodia. Everything was just really average.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 17, 2013

This is my second stay in this property this year both times in the highest category Balcony deluxe room on the top floor. The hotel is a fantastic base while in Phnom Penh and at this price point provides excellent value for money.

Rooms start at around $30, i believe my current room 406 is $40 including wifi access in the room and free bottled water. The room is 40sqm+ with french doors leading to a small balcony with a table and two chairs. The air conditioning is brand new and super super quiet, the bathroom is huge with a large rain shower. The drawbacks to the room are a lack of an in-room safe and a lack of a kettle for making coffee and tea in the morning. These small improvements would make a big difference to the guest experience for a relatively small outlay by management.

The location of the hotel is really convenient for everything, 10 minutes walk to the riverfront, 10 minutes walk to the central market etc Tuk Tuks are available right outside the hotel and the hotel is right on Street 51 with all the nightlife, bars, disco's and eateries you could ever require.

The Khmer staff are very friendly and helpful with rooms cleaned quickly and efficiently, food served promptly etc. The food is simple and well prepared (The hotel shares a kitchen with the bar next door which is part of the same company). The fresh coffee served in the lobby is just perfect!! There is no breakfast buffett but any item from the menu can be ordered for 50% of the price by guests during breakfast hours.

Sadly the hotel is let down by one key individual, Supervisor Anna. Yesterday she informed me that the hotel had not been paid and i would need to settle my account, despite having fully paid in advance. She argued with me for 10 minutes informing me that if they had not been paid by the agent it was my problem and i needed to sort it out. Only after arguing for 10 minutes did she refer to me as Philip to which i replied my name is not Philip. She had accused me of not paying without even first checking my name..... Sadly this is no an isolated incident as she did the same thing during my stay in April. No apology was offered.

To add insult to injury Anna woke me up this morning by banging on my door despite the 'do not disturb sign' stating that a guest needed an ironing board and the only one in the hotel was in my room.... Now given the choice of saying to a guest enquiry 'sorry another guest is currently using the ironing board i will bring it to you when they are done' or option 2 'waking up a guest with a do not disturb sign'???? Pretty basic stuff. That this person is the supervisor does not bode well and staff take their lead from the leader... This morning i asked Anna for contact details of her boss which she refused to provide, perhaps they read these reviews?

Room Tip: Deluxe balcony rooms are worth the extra few dollars!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sunshineandlaughter
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Stayed here in November 2013 for 5 nights with a friend. We had our own rooms on the 4th floor with balcony which I'd recommend. Its high enough to drown out the noise.
Rooms are large and clean, bed was comfy and the shower excellent. Aircon was good. TV in room has a few English channels, there is also a fridge. Laundry is available and a reasonable cost.
Staff are helpful and speak some English so you shouldn't have too many issues. Food was good when we ate there. Breakfast is half price if a guest so will only cost a few dollars.
The area around the hotel has a few bars and the odd spot to eat, but generally most life is down by the river. Arrange a tuk tuk driver to look after you - do the killing fields, temples, royal palace, S21 and markets.
I'd recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Pay more and get a balcony
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 6, 2013

This hotel was very clean and well organised. Our room was prepared when we arrived, check in went smoothly. The location was easy walking distances from the old market, waterfront and royal palace. The staff were fairly good, usually one person behind the counter spoke English and was able to help us. The room itself was fairly small, with a very small window and fairly dark. But overall functional and quiet. The shower was good although the water did take a while to heat up, and seemed to form a pool throughout the whole bathroom due to the drain being unable to take the volume of water it produced. But again overall it was good. Would recommend it for a quiet and convenient place to stay.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Superior Balcony room at higher price offers street noise and view of nothing. Hotel newness factor, modern designed, comfortable enough, open shower in bath, all systems working. Regular rooms windows virtually non-existent, not much light, but makes for good sleeping conditions. Internet, TV good enough. No safe in room. Restaurant was ok, better than the many nearby options which were mostly fast food type garbage grub. Commercial activity in immediate vicinity exclusively catering to single male, mid-age plus types. Blue Tongue appeared to be better (if not best) option if the center of this scene is where you want to be.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Paubranco
Reviewed November 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights, the hotel itself is lovely the bed was a bit too hard but bearable. Bathroom really nice but again shower in the toilet area do everything gets wet!!
Wifi not too strong and couldn't get all channels on TV. Unfortunately my husband got extremely sick after eating the yoghurt at breakfast and spent his visit on the loo with a bucket to be sick into at the other end. We know times the yoghurt as we had shared everything else eaten before then and I had the omelette that morning. Mind you the omelette was very good. Staff were not really concerned when I told them but did ask how he was the following day when he surfaced!! The other sore point was the noise, the hotel is in bar street or at least backs onto it!!! Loud loud noise till 3am!!! Every night. Not sure we can blame them for this but it added to our exhaustion!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I am very conflicted about this hotel. On one hand, the room was lovely, light and airy with a nice balcony (..overlooking a bar which was quite noisy). Staff were very friendly and helpful, organised taxis to our next destination as well as tuk tuk for killing fields day trip. We loved the room decor and bed, and nice modern shower/bathroom.
HOWEVER this hotel is in the redlight district which we were not at all aware of (being first time visitors to phnom penh)
we were the only tourist couple staying here, aside from that it was single men checking in who inevitably had a Cambodian woman coming down with them for breakfast. We felt quite uncomfortable visiting the nearby bars and restaurants. On our later return to Phnom Penh we stayed directly on the river which was much nicer.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple