“tasty”

Lone Star Saloon
Ranked #172 of 1,414 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Description: The Lone Star Saloon is a Texas themed bar and grill located in Central Phnom Penh just a few yards away from the st. 51 entertainment district. We specialize in Southern home cooking. Our menu features Chicken Fried Steak, Slow Smoked Pork Ribs, Pulled Pork Sandwiches.....and many more southern favorites. We are open early for breakfast and stock a full bar. We are primarily an expat's bar, although our staff and clientele are extremely friendly and we can help newbies navigate their way around the city..or the country. We are a family run business and we treat our customers as family. We strive to provide good value for money with inexpensive drinks and healthy food portions. We are not in any way a girlie bar.........just a friendly saloon.
Shanghai, China
“tasty”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

we felt like a nice steak , and this restaurant gave us a very nice one cooked to perfection , at a very reasonable price , great staff

Visited August 2013

• Korean first
Foley, Alabama
“The Lone Star”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Figured I had to give this a try since I'm from Texas. The Chicken Fried Steak was just bland for my liking and nothing special, but considering it's Phnom Penh, I guess one cannot be too choosy. The cole slaw was quite good as was the french fries and iced tea. This place is really 99% bar, as they only have one table and a bunch of bar stools. Overall, I would eat here again, though I would try something different next time.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank nomad127
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
“Home Sweet Home”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The chicken fried beef steak was AWESOME. It is not ground beef but rather chopped, breaded, fried and covered with a flavorful white gravy. I have never had chicken fried beef steak this good. It comes with 2 eggs, hash-browns and toast, butter and jam. Plan on sharing with a friend because there is no way you will finish all of this. $4.50, maybe more than a backpacker would like to spend, but split it and it's only $2.25 each. And, coffee is extra but they did not charge me for my second cup.

If memory serves me correct. the American breakfast, 2 eggs, bacon, toast, butter and jam was $2.50, I'm going for that tomorrow.

I don't know where they get their eggs but they are the biggest eggs I've ever seen.

There is one larger table which seats 6 and two smaller bar tables which seat 2, perhaps 3. The larger table appeared to become a community table at noon where world issues are solved by expats in the know. In addition there is a nice bar with somewhere around 15-20 comfortable stools.

OH and I almost forgot!!!! There desert special that day for lunch was Apple pie with Vanilla bean ice cream. Guess where I'm going soon????

DIRECTIONS: A little clarification about getting there as St. 23 is only one block long. St 23 is between 154 and 174 (even numbers parallel with the river, odd perpendicular). Since 174 does not go all the way through from the river (Wat in the way? A temple?), walk from the river down 154 all the way to 23. Take a left and you will see it in the middle of the block on the river side of the road.

Conveniently there is a internet cafe across the street (not sure if they have printers).

Not sure about the bad review, perhaps a bad day for the lad. I have no association with this place, didn't talk the owner (out of the country) but I did talk to a few regulars, which are regulars because of the quality, ambiance and value and friendliness of the staff.

• Visited August 2013
Bangkok
“BBQ and Tequila”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I've been working in Southeast Asia for over 10 years now, and while I like it here I do miss some things from home, mainly good Mexican food and real southern BBQ. There are few places that do justice to either of these dishes, although in the past few years there have been some places that can satisfy my cravings.....albeit often at a high price.

On a recent trip to Phnom Penh, I tried the ribs here. At $6, they are a really great deal You get four (pork) ribs, and your choice of 2 sides. I generally go for the standard slaw and beans, but they had no beans, so I went with the corn cob. The ribs were quite good, while the dipping BBQ sauce, which along with the rub are important elements of good ribs, was excellent, while the cole slaw was good but not as good but not to the level of the sauce. After dining there was also a decent variety of tequila to choose from, more so than one can find in Singapore or Thailand, so I was also able to sample tequila I don't normally see in Asia. The only down side was that they were out of the one tequila I was most interested in.

The menu at this place is not lengthy, but the owner has made a good decision to do what he knows well. I appreciate this and on my future visits I'll be trying the tacos.I would also add that the staff I talked with was very well informed, helpful and really knew the business. This is important because the staff at so many places in SEA don't know much about the food in the places they work.

I am glad I came across this place and will certainly go back the next time I'm in Phnom Penh, usually each year. The road this place is on, is not necessarily easy to find, but if you are interested in BBQ, it is worth seeking out, as the place is a great value! I've paid US$40 in Singapore (Smokey's) for a bit larger plate of ribs that were comparably good, and which had a decent selection of beers, and you will pay @$15 in Bangkok (Roadhouse, "Burbon St...Dukes in Bangkok is gone) for similar fare (note that at these places you do get slightly more ribs), but at $6, this place can't be beat, and is a great value. This is really a 4.5 star rating, as I don't give 5 stars, unless the place is consistently impressive.

• Visited July 2013
Phnom Penh
“Excellent Menu and Staff NFL&UFC”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I've been to Lone Star many times over the years but have not got around to writing a review. Clearly they are doing well on TA so no need to go into to much detail.

In short the food is great, the staff are friendly and it's an excellent venue for watching NFL and UFC over breakfast! I would HIGHLY recommend the "Texas Breakfast" (country fried steak & eggs).

• Visited July 2013