“Surely some mistake!”

Fish Phnom Penh
Ranked #378 of 1,404 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Cuisines: Seafood, Asian, Fusion
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
UK
“Surely some mistake!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Went for dinner here tonight as recommended in the Lonely Planet Guide as 'our pick'. Chose the 'seafood platter tempura for 2 people' from the specials menu, price $ 12. When the waiter brought over the plate with 3 prawns, 2 fish goujons and a few squid rings in thick batter with a few chips we looked at each other in disbelief. We called the waiter back and told him there must have been some confusion, that we actually wanted the platter for 2 people. Getting nowhere he fetched someone more senior who explained that this was the platter for 2, period! Still couldn't believe this, said that we were extremely dissatisfied and this was the worst value meal we had ever had on Cambodia. When the bill came the manager gave 10% discount due to our unhappiness - this did not come close !! I have not felt so ripped off in years and strongly recommend that you give this restaurant a wide berth. In the future I will use trip advisor and ditch the Lonely Planet Guide !

1 Thank dbottomley

UK
“Best meal in Camboian trip (nearly)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Walked form the Place to here and back again. Almost worth the trip for the buzz and the hustle generated on the evening riverside.
We had our most expensive single plate of food here,in a trip covering 6 cities and two and a half weeks. We both ordered the Asian grilled mixed seafood at $13 a pop. It was still the best meal (bar one) that we had during the trip .
The service was very attentive, without being overbearing and we had the inside to ourselves, air conditioned and pleasant. we would have liked to have done the people watching bit outside but it was a very warm and muggy night.
The only meal that beat this - a kilo of mixed crab and prawns,chili sauce and Kampot pepper, bought and cooked at Kep crab market, Taken away in a carrier bag to have a picnic on the beach with the tuktuk driver - $5 in all.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank mrdeeping
Surabaya, Indonesia
“Just a First Time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

I live and work in PP and usually I don't do the tourist riverside restaurant scene much. When people rave about $9 deal for a fish dinner- I'm thinking more like $4 is what my most awesome local place would charge. But it was pchum Ben holiday and every place was closed, so I thought I would try this place based on the TA recs. It is a nice location if you like bustle- a good view for people watching. And the staff were very attentive and friendly. Unfortunately the fish I ordered was pretty average, over cooked so that it was mostly mush. I should have known when the waiter came back to ask if I wanted the fish and chips I ordered breaded, grilled, or fried in a white wine sauce. Ouch. Yet perhaps it was a holiday staffing issue or just a bad night. If I didn't know lots of other places I can get really fresh fish and seafood for about a third of the price, I would go back and give it another chance. I guess I would say this- be really clear what you are ordering and how you want it cooked. And if you are here for more than a short visit- poke around and find the places that aren't on TA yet- just look for the places with the most mopeds crowded around the entrance!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank KhunKru
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Simple, well-cooked and honestly priced seafood - love it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

They do exactly what they say - serve great, uncomplicated fish dishes, perfectly cooked that can be washed down with decent wine that doesn't break the bank. Really nowhere else one can get this choice, quality and price mix in Phnom Penh.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Parples
Frankfurt, Germany
“perfectly cooked cod fish for just 8 Dollars”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

A river side corner Restaurant, the first impression was just so so, but it was great sitting outside and watching people at the busy river side street. I had a surprising good cod fish and 2 beers. When I paid it was just 9 Dollars, the next surprise. I will be back to try more.

• Visited September 2012