“Great guesthouse in PP”
Review of Alibi Guesthouse

Alibi Guesthouse
Ranked #7 of 334 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 19, 2013

My wife and I had an excellent time at this guest house. The staff are very helpful and the location is great - right down the street from the riverfront area and next to the royal palace and silver pagoda. The rooms are also good, very clean and quiet at night. We also really enjoyed their breakfast and they have a dedicated tuk-tuk to take you wherever you want to go (for a price). Overall, we liked this guest house and would definitely recommend it!
(also reviewed on Agoda)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 30, 2013

As far as I understand, it seemed to be a historical residence. Lots of interesting photos on the wall. a quiet place and very pretty. The staff was helpful, assisting me in booking bike tour etc. Tuk tuk driver picking me up was friendly, but too bad i ran out of my budget to hire him for tour. So, most of the time, i walked. lots of tv channel, if u happen to want to be a couch potatoes.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Shi Min C
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Period of Stay: 13th Nov – 15th Nov 2013 (2 nights)
Cost: 42 USD (including taxes, via Booking.com)
Room No.: 11

+ points:
(1) About 6 minutes walk to the Royal Palace (it is nearer the side with Wat Botum), which is a key landmark near the city centre and from there you can walk down the main street for a whole range of eateries. There was a traffic jam so it took about 50 min by cab (pre-paid taxi 9 USD – if on budget you can go outside the airport and take a tuk-tuk for about 7 USD or maybe even less).

(2) Pauline, the main admin in charge, spoke pretty good English and was very helpful in assisting me with matters such as getting around the surrounding area and also to various parts of Phnom Penh such as the Killing Fields, and also helped to book my bus with Mekong Express to Siem Reap (pick up at the guesthouse at 7.45am, left PP at 8.30am, reached SR at 3.30pm, 12 USD, which is the standard price I found on Internet). She recommended me Chea, a tuk-tuk driver, who was a nice guy and I would recommend him also – I paid 15 USD for a half day trip (6-7 hours) to the Killing Fields, Russian Market, S21 Genocidal Musuem, which is also the standard price from my research. He reminded me to be careful about my bag when we stopped at traffic lights (I did read about recent increased incidences of day-light robberies in Phnom Penh) and also purchased a mask for me (a nice gesture on his part as I did read that certain parts along the way were smelly and dusty).

(3) Room was pretty spacious and quite clean (toilet looked ok). Bedsheets and pillow case looked clean and quite firm mattress so quite comfortable.

(4) I enjoyed the breakfast (though there are only 2 sets to choose from, I enjoyed the eggs with bacon, bread with butter and jam, fruit juice and coffee/tea - see my photo!).

(5) Wi-Fi was easy to access and quite reliable.

- points:
(1) The lighting in the room (and even in the lobby) was quite poor even though there were table lights in the room) so it can be quite annoying (see my photo!).

(2) There were some ants around the sink and one of the tables.

(3) The ceiling of the room and especially part of the toilet was quite low (I'm only about 1.7m!)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank MrLukeLau
Reviewed October 26, 2013

It's settled on a great house with pleasant backyard. Rooms are comfy, service is excellent. We had to leave early, before breakfast time, so they woke up earlier to make us our set (there weren't any bread though, as they arrive fresh in the morning).
the downsides are its location on a dodgy alley, that actually seemed really safe. Shower is set together with the sink and toilet, as cambodian style bathroom...

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We weren't even sure we'd go all the way to Phnom Penh on this trip, but we ended up deciding to do it. Something got lost in our last-minute Agoda booking the day before, but the manager was able to get us a room anyway.

Not the cheapest place to stay if you're on a tight budget, but every bit worth the cost. It's located just down a tight little alley across from the beautiful park just south of the Royal Palace and right near the water. It's not easy to find the alley at first glance, and it's not nearly as sketchy as "down a tight little alley" might sound. The neighborhood seemed perfectly safe and even somewhat upscale.

The house itself is just gorgeous. I don't know what it was before it became a guest house, but it is like a nice little oasis on the grounds behind the gate, and the French Colonial building has a ton of charm.

The bed was comfortable, the A/C worked a little too well (not a complaint you'll hear much of in Southeast Asia, but it's rare I actually want to turn it off). The included breakfast was decent, though the baguette was delicious.

We had the manager make us some milkshakes (with ice cream) and wanted more. She initially gave us a tour of the room and got us situated, and was otherwise a huge help on our stay.

She was also a great help in getting us a bus back to Bangkok scheduled for the next morning. The bus company couldn't pick us up in the morning because the police were closing the streets with barricades for the day's political protests, but the same TukTuk driver that hung out at the guesthouse for the three days we were there found a way past the barbed wire to get us there in time.

We did use this driver to take us a few places like Choeng Ek and Toul Sleng, but there is plenty to see close by this perfectly located guesthouse.

Room Tip: I see many suggestions to pay extra for the 2nd floor rooms because you have to walk up another flig...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Alibi was our first stop on our journey around cambodia and it served its purpose well! Very comfortable room, pillows and mattress better thsn many guesthouses in this range in cambodia. Large room and good value. Nice quiet setting tucked away down an alley off the main road. Upstairs balcony was a nice spot to sit and eat the street food we bought home for dinner. A tip: just walk out the entrance gate to buy water, beer and other drinks from the local sellers instead of using the guest house bar-you'll pay less than half the price!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Alibi guesthouse was one of the best parts of our visit in PP. We really enjoyed breakfast in the courtyard each morning. They helped us book our onward bus tickets. Wifi was good and AC strong and the actual hotel space was pretty. The city didnt thirll us but it was nice to step outside to the royal palace and it was a quick walk to many choices for drinks and food. Staff was also very nice and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple