“Topaz Phnom Penh”

Topaz
Ranked #84 of 1,630 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Topaz is a sophisticated French cut above the rest with six upstairs private rooms, a unique walk-in wine cellar with floor-to-ceiling and exceptional vintages and a humidor stocked with the finest imported cigars. Elegance and creativity are perfect partners alongside unequalled service with an eye to mouthwatering presentation and a menu based on Gallic know-how. Widely considered to be the blue riband first choice of visitors and residents in the capital.
Reviewed August 29, 2015

Dinner here was definitely on the expensive side, (bill was $180 for two people), but was absolutely FANTASTIC. I had the entrecôte de boeuf, which was just delightful. Tender, seared just a little and rare in the middle. Loved it.
The shortcoming was the service. Although it wasn't bad, it bordered on being a bit nonchalant and giving one the feeling that they didn't have their act totally together.
Enough rambling, just come down and check out this place. The food is not pretentious and is approachable. Make reservations for dinner, but for lunch, it is acceptable to walk-in.

Reviewed August 27, 2015

I really enjoyed my experience at this place. First off, if you are looking for this restaurant, it is hidden in the most unexpected location. I thought that I had put in the address incorrectly when I first arrived, but I think this place used to be a house, but was transformed into a restaurant.
The place itself is very elegant and intimate, which is my favorite type of atmosphere. Our waitress was very sweet and patient, and her outfit matched the French theme, which I appreciated.
For food, we started off with the snails, which were very good. Next, I ordered the signature soup. I thought the puff shell was very fresh, and it tasted like it had just been made. I think this is one of their highly recommended dish, and I could definitely see why. For dessert, we shared a chocolate volcano, which was very very sweet and ... chocolatey.
Overall, I think this is a very nice and casual place for a date.

Reviewed August 25, 2015

I think this is going to be on the top of our list when we would like to go out for a steak in Phnom Penh. They had so much flavor and were cooked to perfection. Started off with one of the salads along with the snails appetizer. The snails are a bit out of the box for us, but was very good. Not sure I would do it again only because of the consistency and outside the box for us. My wife has the filet and I had the ribeye which were both great. Also had the baked potato and the asparagus side.
The service was excellent also. Had Borat as the waiter and not sure who the runner was, but was also excellent.

Reviewed August 25, 2015

Went here for a friends birthday dinner. Good thing we got a reservation since it was pretty packed that night if memory serves me correctly.
You get a real classy vibe from this place. It's upscale for sure. Valet parking, red carpet, it's one of the finer establishments in Phnom Penh.
The restaurant has a nice decor reminding me of Brasserie design elements and art direction. Large size dining space with a multitude of seating arrangements for a lot of people. Don't let the size fool you, it does get packed!
Topaz can be described as French cuisine with some local elements added to it. The Chef menu does change from time to time, just a heads up. The taste for the dishes I ordered were unique, I didn't expect a strong butter taste so that was a bit different. Took some getting used to, but I enjoyed it overall. Check out the menu ahead of time or ask the waiter/waitresses for recommendations if you are unsure on what to get. They do have a mean creme brulee here, you got to try that!
This place puts quality and effort into all its dishes and I can commend that. They have a very well trained staff who are professional and accommodating to their guests.
Topaz is a real intimate and classy restaurant that makes you feel right in France as soon as you walk in.

My Recommendations: creme brulee

Reviewed August 25, 2015

Absolutely amazing - will be my #1 choice if I want to celebrate an anniversary or special occasion.

Seared Foie Gras with Mango - This is omg amazing. The foie gras was HUGE. This is my first time having such a big piece of foie gras in a restaurant and it was extremely satisfying.

French Onion soup - Yum!! Love the sweetness of the onion soup with the crunch of the crispy cheese.

Burgundy snails - I'll probably pass on this. It didn't wow me :(

Prime rib beef - Perfectly cooked, pre-sliced, absolutely amazing. If you're gonna go for steak, definitely go for this one.

I'd definitely come back again, if only for the seared foie gras. Topaz is such a romantic setting and my experience there (service + food + ambiance) was unforgettable. Absolutely worth the price.