“French flair at lunch”

Ranked #143 of 1,481 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Cuisines: French, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: This 110 year old building was constructed in French colonial style for the purpose of housing the bank of Indochina. It was short listed for the UNESCO heritage preservation awards in 2006 because of the care taken in conservation of architectural and period design.As well as our French Fine Dining lunch and dinner menus, we offer a range of catering and seating options for all types of events. We cater for weddings and engagement parties, seminars, press conferences, exhibitions, movie sets, or private functions of your choice. Buffet or special menu can be arranged for your exceptional event in Phnom Penh.Let the intrigue of this building, its past and present be a part of your heritage too. Come and try Van's experience
Reviewed March 16, 2014

This is the old Indochina Bank building in a more historic area of Phnom Penh, which alone makes it worth the trip. We came for the prix fixe lunch and I highly recommend it. The lunch was delicious, service was excellent, and it was cool and calm after all of the street hustle and noise.

1  Thank circusgurl

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We looked forward to going to Vans after eating at Topaz the previous evening. Unfortunately we were a little disappointed. The presentation couldn't have been bettered. Beautiful, colourful and a feast for the eyes. Indeed the scallops and the duck a l'orange were really tasty although I wasn't sure about the quinoa. However my grand marnier soufflé had no taste and was a little overcooked.
We were not impressed by the water bottles after Topaz elegant receptacles, nor the plain tumblers instead of more elegant glasses.
Staff were helpful. Pleasant and smiling and the ambience was pleasant if a little severe.
If we hadn't been to Topaz, we would have given this restaurant a higher rating but it needs to raise its act to match its competitor

1  Thank Anenome5
Reviewed March 1, 2014

We had the tasting menu which was delicious. Great french food with a touch of asian flavour. Beautiful presentation. It is expensive for Phnom Penh but worth it. They have a fine wine list from very expensive to more reasonable. A very memorable evening.

2  Thank wonderinggourmet
Thiebault N, Manager at Van’s Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

As you know, it is a great honor to read such a comment about our restaurant .
We really do appreciate when one of our guest take some of his precious time to leave us a review and especially a good one like this one
We are looking forward to welcoming you back

Best regards

Thiebault Nicolet
Manager of Van’s restaurant

Reviewed February 23, 2014

On a stroll though the old French quarter of Phnom Penh, my girlfriend and I came across the building that houses Van's Restaurant. It has been fully and carefully restored (as opposed to remodeled and stripped of its integrity), and oozes historical charm. As we had an anniversary coming up - I thought I'd make an inquiry as to if they could accommodate our Vegan diet - which I know is no small task in a French fine dining restaurant!
I emailed the main address and received a very nice communication from Mr. Nicolet, the manager, who was able to offer us several choices, most of which were slight customizations from the standard menu, so I imagine that even without future planning, a Vegetarian or Vegan diner can enjoy a great meal there. I selected some items and reserved.
When we came in for dinner, the staff had a print out of our selected items and couldn't have been nicer with their overall level of service. The food was incredible and felt very decadent, yet healthy. I was truly impressed at how seamless the whole experience was and I can't wait for the next occasion to revisit.
If you visit, definitely try the sorbets - the passion fruit sorbet was the tastiest frozen treat I've ever had!

2  Thank premjoshi
Thiebault N, Manager at Van’s Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like, in the name of all the team, to thank you for your amazing review. We are very please to read reviews like yours and of course the fact that you had a wonderful time in our restaurant.
It's guest feedback such as yours that ensures us that we are maintaining our standards in providing excellent service and best food to our guests.
I couldn t agree more with you about the “Home-Made” passion fruit sorbet! We actually do propose a range of 9 sorbet and 7 ice cream.

Thank you for sharing with us your “incredible” VAN’S experience.
We are looking forward to welcome you back for another memorable experience in the near future!

Warm regards,

Thiebault Nicolet
Manager of Van's Restaurant

Reviewed February 4, 2014

This was once the Indochina Bank Building, now lovingly restored and turned into a restaurant serving fine French cuisine. The ambience is elegant and quiet. For the budget conscious, their business lunches are value for money and worth every cent. This is really fine dining. If you are in Phnom Penh, do have a meal there. It is located next to the Phnom Penh Post Office - can't miss it.

1  Thank Pak Soon L