“Cheap but rooms weren't very clean.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tat Guest House

Tat Guest House
Tat Guest House
Ranked #144 of 333 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
“Cheap but rooms weren't very clean.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Friendly, Family run hostel. They were helpful with sorting out our visa for Vietnam. But the rooms weren't very clean and there were cockroaches and ants crawling around. Hostel wasn't in a great area but was within walking distance to the S-21 museum.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

We arrived late at night and were happy to be warmy welcomed. Rooms are basic and old fashionned decorated (paperwall everywhere). Good shower.
We had the room's closed to the restaurant but were not annoy by it. However everynight someone below but the tv and music and this for all night. Bring earplug if you are light sleeper. Good communal area with comfy chairs and hammok and selection of books.

• Stayed May 2013
Wien
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I booked that guesthouse in advance via phone. they told me a price wich I reconfirmed at check in. However, when I wanted to pay for my room on my last day, they would charge me more. When I asked them about it, the lady replied, we are fully booked and I thought you do not mind a few dollars more. When I, of course, refused to pay more the lady got really angry and impolite, and told me, sche was never going to book a room for me again. anyway, I do not want to go there again, as there are many other options nearby, that offer better value for money. Furthermore she did not want to give me a receipt.
I was really pissed of, by what the lady said and did.
In general about this hostel: If you looking for smelly rooms without daylight you will really like this place. If you are furthermore one of those travellers who prefer not to wash to often and not use deodorant than you will find many friends there easily.
I would really NOT recomend you to go there.

Room Tip: go to another hostel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank chrigscha

Travelers are raving about these Phnom Penh hotels

Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is a review of Tattoo Guesthouse - sister guesthouse of Tat Guesthouse and only a few doors away.

In terms of location, Tattoo Guesthouse is located on Street 125 - not too far from the Olympic Stadum. There is nothing of mention in the vicinity and you will almost certainly have to get a moto or a tuk tuk to the main restaurants, shops, bars, tourist destinations, etc.

A single fan room with an ensuite costs around $7. The rooms are acceptable, but could be such a higher quality if the management fixed some simple faults, including: sparking plugs, covers missing from fans, unfinished decorating, etc. The rooms are generally clean, but I have certainly seen cleaner rooms at other guesthouses.

The communal area is located at the entrance of Tattoo Guesthouse and is pretty much a few seats within a restaurant/reception. There are also two computers with free internet. It's a good place to meet other travellers, but is rather dull in the evenings and you will have to go elsewhere for drinks, entertainment, music, etc. The only entertainment is a small TV showing Khmer channels for the staff and some books. You will actually find that the staff gather moveable beds and sleep in the reception/restaurant area at night. This wouldn't be a problem, but from around 9pm onwards - the lights dim and beds start to get moved in which make you feel like you are keeping them awake and eventually have to go back to your room or go elsewhere.

The Khmer food is very good and definitely some of the best I have had at a guesthouse.

One thing which I didn't like about Tattoo Guesthouse was the unprofessionalism of the staff, who - despite being nice individuals - seem to lack training and focus on customer service. In this sort of set-up, you don't expect staff to stand to attention or provide you with a five star service, but you expect a level of professionalism and customer service. Sometimes, this bordered on rudeness. I also found that staff would rather become your pal than treat you like a customer. This is fine, except where you have a complaint about something or need the staff member to be a staff member, not your pal. This also manifested into some uncomfortable situations, where I even witnessed a staff member shouting at a customer.

Tattoo Guesthouse isn't a bad guesthouse - but there is certainly room for improvement in all areas. The management do not have an active enough presence and allow the staff to treat customers however they want (which can range from friendship to rudeness). There needs to be some boundaries. The staff aren't bad people - in fact they seem like nice people and generally deliver an adequate service; however, because of a lack of control and also perhaps a lack of training - there is little sense of professionalism.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

This family-run hostel was located in an authentic area in the city. Breakast was available for money. They said that its okay to leave your valuables inside the room because there is always someone at the front door. Well, there wasn't, and actually we found it hard to reach the staff inside the premises any time of the day. The location was rather noisy.

Finally they screwed up our breakfast the last morning: we said several times we have to leave early and pre-ordered our six-o-clock breakfast the evening before. What happened: they woke up and started sluggishly preparing our food, which we eventually had to take with us. No apologies were said.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Jodhpur, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

I stayed here for a bit while in Phnom Penh waiting for my Indian visa and then going to a few places around the area. I decided to stay out of the centre for a change as I wanted to see somewhere else in Phnom Penh. I liked this guesthouse. The staff are really very friendly and welcoming which is nice. The rooms are clean though perhaps a little dark. I had food a few times and it was good though personally I prefer to go to local restaurants and the like to eat. There are some cheap food stalls nearby and if you walk across the main road and down there are great hotpot restaurants with lots of local Khmer people eating which is a nice atmosphere and also reasonably priced. The staff gave me helpful advice on getting around the city and gave me local prices for things which was good. I found that the tuk tuks in front of the hotel wanted silly prices to go places so I usually just took a motortaxi for getting around or walked to the main street to find transport. The hotel is near a nice cinema called The Flicks which shows international movies in a chilled out atmosphere. It is a bit of a walk into town but I don't mind walking so did not mind. One thing I was not impressed with was when I wanted to check a bus company other than the one they have a relationship with and they were not able to call for me. I found this a little disappointing. I would stay here again if I was to return to Phnom Penh.

Room Tip: Some rooms have more natural light than others so see a few before you select.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Angie M
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

We actually stayed at the Tat Too, the sister hotel down the street. They are run by the same group of folks. Everyone was extremely helpful. The room was simple but we paid around $11 so we got what we paid for. The bed was clean and the air conditioner worked! There was always a tuk tuk out front that could take you anywhere for a pretty low price. We also walked to the city center which was about 15-20 minutes. Probably a better walk in the daylight, but at no time did I feel unsafe. And again, I cannot emphasize how helpful and friendly the staff was.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends