“Cheap & Good!”
Review of Hostel Nomads

Hostel Nomads
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Got a free pickup from the bus station and I really appreciated that. The lady at the reception was very friendly, telling us all about which ATMs charge less/ places to eat/ etc etc. We got a room with A/C but it felt somehow unnecessary because it can be quite cool at night. Personally I would like to have a heated shower, though. But overall things are great and we had a pleasant stay!

Room Tip: A/C may not be necessary depending on time of visit
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here enormously. Robert is a great host: knowledgeable and practical. It represented excellent value. I agree that a few more bathrooms might have helped, but was surprised how well it all worked. Free laundry was a definite perk too. Robert has taken over the place just a few months ago and was just finishing updating the air-conditioning, worrying it would be too cold for me.

I was surprised at people complaining at the lack of hot showers. As it was my first port of call on arriving in Cambodia, I didn't realise that nowhere (at least where I stayed at) had hot showers. It's so hot in Cambodia that I can't understand anyone wanting hot water! Electricity is very expensive in any case, so hot water would only have made the cost of accommodation more expensive.

Best of all was helping to cook the staff lunch with another guest. We accompanied Robert's partner Nary to the market and then she showed us how to prepare the crabs and ingredients for a delicious fish soup (lunch) and pork casserole (dinner) that was provided to the staff working at the hostel.

Next time I'm in Phnom Penh, I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: There's a good choice of types of rooms. If you want to have aircon, then there are dorms with t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Rob_Nomads, Owner at Hostel Nomads, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to review our Hostel. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and as I type this we are currently having extra bathrooms installed. We have managed to minimize any disruption for our guests and the work is being confined to a small section of the hostel. Further improvements, such as air-con in the fan dorms will come next.
Helping to cook the staff food. Because we are a small family run type business we are able to offer a more personal touch. We welcome returning guests as old friends and if guests want to do something unusual, like help prepare and cook the staff food, we can do it. It's not a cooking lesson, as such, but guests get to help cook an everyday Khmer meal. (small groups only though as the kitchen can get a bit crowded).
It will be nice to see you again, if your travels ever bring you back to our little corner of the world. :-)

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Brilliant location, walking distance to most places and the hostel provides an excellent tuk tuk service at cheap rates. We stayed in a 7 dorm, quite a shock as it was just mattresses on the floor with fans and no air conditioning, very very hot. Didn't help with the heat as 9 people were put into the dorm instead of 7 with not enough mosquito nets for everyone. Only 2 bathrooms in the whole hostel so you can't be too desperate for the loo! Overall very good however needs a few tweaks as well as more staff needed to support the very helpful and friendly Robert.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This place was so good I have stayed there twice on separate occasions. If you like 'Faulty Towers' you'll like Robert and Nary! Amongst the humorous drama that erupts between the two and the venue, there is a quality in the standard of services; 24hr free laundry service, beds are made and rooms/bathrooms are cleaned thoroughly daily. $3 dorm is the best. Beds are simple/comfy, thick mattress on the floor with a small pillow, mosquito net and personal fan (a/c bunk bed dorms are available though). Toilet paper is always there and towels are plentiful. Breakfast in the morning is cheap/delicious. If you want to know anything about Phnom Penh just ask Robert, he'll tell you the truth and the tricks (he also talks in tangents so be prepared for a 15min education about literally anything!). Nomads is close to everything important (markets/river/museums/palace). Also, don't forget to pat the guinea pigs whilst you're there;P

Room Tip: Top floor fan dorm room is the best! Put the fan inside your mosquito net for full effect (but Rober...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Amber B
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Just to confuse some of you who are reading reviews, this hostel has changed management quite recently so a lot of negative reviews predate the new manager, Robert.

Nomads is located about a 5 minute walk to the riverside (without much more along the street front), 3 minutes to Wat Phnom, 15-20 minute to Royal Palace and National Museum.

The hostel provide a cheap and easy breakfast, eggs on toast, beans on toast, cereal, juice etc, which was really popular with all the guests.
They also provide free laundry. I had a massive bag so I was told to tip the laundry lady which was fair enough. Standard price is 1USD for a kilo, I got 3-4kg for 1USD and a free smile!

The room I stayed in was a 6 dorm bunk bed, with air con and en suite bathroom. However the hostel provides no hot water (who needs in SEA right?..okay maybe sometimes).
Other rooms still had mattresses on the floor as far as I could see and I believe only one bathroom per floor, as there were long queues during peak morning times.

The Tuk Tuk drivers out front work with Robert and his partner and charge guests a decent flat rate to see the main sites. They also try their best to pair travellers with each other to share the cost of the fare!

If I were to return to Phnom Penh I will stay a Nomads again to see the further improvements Robert has made.

Robert - Khai Nam Bus to Ho Chi Minh : The bus was fairly old and filled with mosquitoes. The staff didn't communicate that well to us with what was happening with the stops and border control. We actually had our passports taken from us skipped exiting Cambodia and pretty much skipped entering Vietnam. We were handed our passports back stamped out and in. So no waiting in queue, we were also dropped off Pham Ngu Lao street!
I would say however during the peak season it may be worthwhile to contract with Mekong Express. There were many travellers in the hostel that used them, wanted to use them and others who booked to use them through other travel agencies. Flashpackers so they maybe but it would be nice to have had the option. $2 more for a newer western standard bus, a snack, fresh wipes and wifi or I am so told.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Rob_Nomads, Owner at Hostel Nomads, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Thanks for the straightforward review of our pretty straight forward Hostel!
Just to add. All our A/C rooms now have brand new A/Cs (last old unit being replaced as I type this actually) and bunk beds. Yes the standard dorms have mattresses on the floor and after we have the extra bathrooms installed we are probably going to go all A/C and all bunk beds throughout. Bathrooms are our top priority though, and we are waiting for the builder to be free so he can start.

Khai Nam- Sounds like a nice trip through the border but the bus was a bit rough. My partner, Nary, has mentioned before about offering Mekong Express tickets and, as you say, people will pay that little extra. So we'll be opening an account with them in the next few days.
And you met our laundry lady!

Reviewed August 1, 2013

This hostel is close to the riverside so location is good.
There are only mattress on the floor which is not an issue however there is to many people in one room with only fans, therefore it is so so so hot.
There are two floors of accommodation and only one bathroom on each floor which is an issue esp at the start and end of the day.
Good breakfast is available and the staff are helpful.
Kidd t stay in an air n room. It they have no windows so get smelly and stuffy also

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I think we paid $5 a night here, so no complaints whatsoever about that!
The manager had overbooked when we arrived so he gave up his room for us, laid out 3 mattresses and fans for us, and he slept in the reception, and moved us to one of the bigger dorms for the rest of our stay (3 nights).
The rooms are very basic, mattresses on the floor, and a fan at each bed. I had 3 decent nights sleep, and was cool enough. The bathrooms were clean, and laundry was FREE!! I know its cheap in Cambodia anyway, but every little helps when you're on a tight budget!
The manager was really helpful with giving us tips and directions, and he got us a tuk tuk driver who took us to the Killing Fields and S20 prison for a decent price.
No complaints, maybe just could invest in some actual beds??

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends