“You are always happy when leaving this place”
Review of Ocean

Ocean
Ranked #88 of 1,414 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“You are always happy when leaving this place”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

because every time I go there and eat, it is good. Furthermore, the service is good, not pushy. Fresh ingredients, nice choice, for meat, fish and also for vegetarian food. Go there regularly and never were disappointed.

Visited May 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Surabaya, Indonesia
“Wish I Could Give 3+ Stars”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

It is the inherent challenge of any grading system: inevitably there are those border liners that just fall exactly between the labels and numbers. My experience at Ocean was certainly better than "average". The service was lovely, the decor pleasantly unobtrusive (verging on non-descript or bare), the food well prepared, fresh and light, the wine a nice pairing with the snapper. But "very good" or 4 out of 5? That feels like grade inflation. Because there isn't much pizazz or much to savor either. It helped when about 30 minutes into my dinner they muted the lights, warming the white on white interior. The tile and unadorned walls means sound reverberates. My snapper was cooked perfectly and the accompanying vegetables were still nice and crisp in a dark flavorful sauce. But the fish itself was so minimally seasoned I felt a twinge of ."I could do this myself" rather than, "Interesting, what is that?" That said, I don't want to push potential diners away. I do recommend Ocean and I am glad I ate there. These days, with a new restaurant opening every 15 minutes in Phnom Penh, it is harder to say I will rush back. Here is my 3+.Ocean is a good choice for a good meal, with friends or with a date.

• Visited April 2013
Thailand
“Fabulous Find”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We tried the best rated restaurants in Phnom Phen. Our hotel (The 252) suggested several they felt were the best according to their guests. We stumbled on "Ocean" a couple of blocks from our hotel. We were "blown away" by the friendliness and food taste and quality. Then we ate at the reported "best in the City". We tried several, many expensive. Out last night we compared and decided on our last meal at Ocean. We enjoyed another memorable dinner with a red wine that was smooth as glass and had nice depth and flavor. The meal again was lip-smacking good. Prices are budget protective and more than fair. Staff is laughing and friendly and most efficient.

• Visited March 2013
Toulouse, France
“Good food”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This restaurant is quite excellent. The food is very good (average 20-30 USD) great wines. There is a special south-east asian touch in the different meals. The owner is german and VERY friendly. A nice place toi rest after a workday when you're fed up of cambodian food.

Visited November 2012
Antwerp, Belgium
“Always a pleasure ...”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

good food, friendly staff, nice owner ... elegant but relaxed atmosphere. As a Phnom Penh'er ... we dont have a big Range of cool locations down here in the south. BKK1 is exploding with Coffee Shops and Restaurants most of them are the "Asian artificial way". Ocean is steady, cool, good quality and a wonderful place, to have a nice dinner, talk ... or romantic evening.

• Visited March 2013