“Solid spot well worth the hike”

Goldie Boutique Guest House
Ranked #65 of 322 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Adelaide, Australia
“Solid spot well worth the hike”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

It's a little out of the absolute centre, for sure, but near decent restaurants and tourist attractions such as the National museum (and the Genocide one), and everything is a quick ride away via rickshaw. They can get you taxis to the airport, and the restaurant across the road is top class for this country. Well worth it, if nothing too flashy.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 20, 2011

I stayed here for a month when I first arrived in Phnom Penh. Rooms at Goldie are very basic but the communal area downstairs is great.

The girls who work here are very friendly and helpful, but the guy is a bit strange (quite self important).

There is definitely no shortage of tuk tuk drivers lingering outside and there's a lot of eating and shopping options nearby.

All in all it's a decent option for longer functional stays or for budget conscious travelers, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed September 2011
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed December 12, 2011

My idea of a boutique hotel is one of style; often at the expense of function. The Goldie is very functional; friendly, helpful and cheap. $20 gives you a decent room in a good location in the city. My room was comfy & cozy but hardly stylish; however I'm a frequent visitor to Phnom Penh; stayed in many places here and reckon its as good a budget place as you can get in this city.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank peaceofangkor
Bangkok
Reviewed December 6, 2011

This guesthouse was recommended to me and when I walked through the front door I was impressed. However, this feeling quickly faded when I saw the room: it was rather big but dirty; the air conditioning did not work at all; the towels were worm and used grey; the tap in the washroom did not close and it was running all night.

The service of the staff was disappointing. While we did not have any issues with our booking, a couple before us did and the staff was not at all accommodating and frankly quite rude. In addition, the people working at the hostel were not at all knowledgeable about Phnom Penh nor were they helpful when asked about restaurants to recommend. They only mentioned the places that were on the same street as the guesthouse.

However, the most disappointed aspect of our stay here was the flagrant racketeering going on between the hotel staff and the tuk-tuk drivers. If you took a tuk-tuk from the hostel it would cost you double (if not triple) the price it would if you were to walk 10 meters at take a tuk-tuk at the corner. When we asked for the staff to order us a cab to go to the airport, we got an unidentified car- no taxi sign, no meter, no certification issued to cab drivers...It ended up costing us 10 US$ to go to the airport.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Phnom Penh hotels

London
Reviewed November 25, 2011

I stayed here in a couple of different rooms. They were both nice enough, although one had a much smaller window so was a lot gloomier – it’s worth trying to choose your room when you book as you can see pictures of the different rooms on the website and they’re quite a fair representation. Room & bathroom were fairly standard, but was kept clean, the staff were all friendly and the receptionists really helpful. Located in BKK1 - which is good for coffee shops! but also just around the corner from “golden street” where there are a few bars & restaurants. It’s touristy area and doesn’t feel very Cambodian compared to the rest of the city but easy to get around from, about 10 mins to riverside (although as it is a tourist area tuk-tuks will be calling out to you all day & night long, and be aware they may try and push up their prices). Didn’t have any food there as it didn’t look appealing but the smoothies were nice. Overall OK value - you get what you pay for.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 15, 2011

A quiet oasis in the city, we stayed here twice for 6 nights in total. Powerful hot showers, friendly staff and comfy beds - I had some quality sleeps here. We stayed in room 8 and I would recommend this for anyone who plans to stay out late sampling the quality night life of PP (as well as the riverfront there are some good bars and restaurants just around the corner from Goldie) as the room is mercifully dark for lie-ins. Felt guilty waking the security guard to let us in every night though he was always good humoured about it. Fridge, TV and a good AC - but the addition of a bedside light would be great. Look out for Andy the tuk tuk driver- very friendly guy.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Bruges, Belgium
Reviewed November 5, 2011

It seems that my small window of room 10 wasn't properly locked (hidden behind the curtains, I didn't notice this, as I didn't even open or close that window).
In the morning I woke up, saw the window open, my smartphone + Ipod + wallet was stolen while I was asleep! They found my empty wallet on the roof of the neighbours. It is very easy for a robber to climb on the balcony of the second floor and simply try to open all the windows. They told me it happened only once before and there is a guard, but this is all nonsense, I never saw a guard and it is simply too easy to break in. They asked me not to call the police. And well, I would like to but I didn't do that, as I knew this would probably cost money (which I didn't have at the moment) with zero result.
Of course, these people smile away any responsibility. It was all my fault, as I should have checked the lock of the left side of the window.
The place itself is OK, but not that great either. Rooms are clean, the location was good for me, as you have a lot of good restaurants nearby. Don't know why that Khmer Surin restaurant is so famous. Dosa corner, a smaller restaurant around the corner was a lot better.
Anyway, no more goldie for me.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo